Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: (SG) Adventures of a Drow: Sins of the Daughter - Interest check.  (Read 12506 times)

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Adventures of an Amnesiac Drow
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 09:24:16 am »

You smile and look him in the eye.

"Yes, you really should have killed me when you had the chance" You say as you grab your knives, draw them and stab them through his arm, one through his elbow, another through his wrist. You finish off with a nice twist.

He screams in pain as he drops you. But you aren't finished yet. You knee him in his crotch and, as his eyes bulge, you punch him in the face as hard as you can, sending him toppling backwards, unconscious.

The necromancers accomplices retaliate. The last remaining trainee fires a fire lance spell at you. You dodge out the way as you roll towards her. Getting close, you drive your left knife into her knee, followed by a spinning slash across her stomach with your right that causes her to squeal in pain. Dark Drow blood splatters you as you continue your whirl of death, bringing up your left knife again. You drive it through the trainees lower jaw. Her last breath is more of a whimper as you twist and rip the blade out.

Your actions draw the attention of the elite necromancers. As one focuses on providing shielding against the fortifications and two return fire, the last aims a powerful fire storm spell at you.

Just managing to dodge, you cartwheel towards your bow. In one fluid movement you grab your bow and set off into a sprint, aiming to get behind the wagons for cover. Hot on your heels are a series of fire, earth and energy based spells. You stumble at one point and almost get your leg impaled on an earth spike as it shot out the ground.

Eventually you make it to a wagon that give you good cover and a great vantage point over the skirmish.

However, as you take int the scene, horror overcomes your emotions.

The necromancer previously focusing on shielding is now also firing powerful spells at the guards, driving them back. The guards, to their merit, are not giving up though, and you can see the first clerics and mages are filtering through the gates. However, what shocked you more was the devastation the two other necromancers were doing.

They systematically annihilated the defenses on the walls, even going so far in part as to demolish the wall itself. As they got to the gatehouse, they imploded the entire structure, sending the 20 foot tall reinforced iron doors blasting backwards, crushing the guard formations behind and the first groups of clerics, mages and other assorted magic users.

"I....What is this power? They should not be this powerful....." You mutter to yourself. You clutch your bow closer to you, reaching for an arrow. It is then you notice that the fourth remaining necromancer is casting some sort of spell, his arms encased in green.

The stench of necromancy grows thick in the air as the fourth necromancer completes the spell.

"NECKROMOS VICTORUM!" He screams, his arms turning into giant cones of green, before he smashes them into the ground.

For a moment it seems as if nothing was going to happen. That notion was soon dispelled as a rumbling, roaring sound gradually grew in severity, emanating from where the spell had been cast. Hundreds of undead rose from the ground. Zombies, ghouls, skeletons of all types, heavily armoured towering revenants, liches and incorporeal spirits all emerged from the ground or seemingly from thin air.

But that was not all, as that was no ordinary Necromancer spell.

Fissures opened around the spellcaster. From them mundane underworld residents, such as demons and hell guardians emerged in equal numbers to the undead. However, there also emerged creatures that had only being considered legends or myths, creatures that were rumoured to stalk the very pits of the underworld. Morts, giant hydra-chimera crossbreeds that had a hunger for mortal flesh, Soul Puppeteers, Scions or Decay, Reapers, undead elementals, corpse golems and more joined the frey.

The most terrifying creature, however, to emerge was the legendary Angel of Nekrum. A 18 foot tall constantly decaying, intelligent angel, which towered above its brethren, its rancid wings folded on its back, black and brown sludge dripping from its rotting frame, long horns and even longer and sharper claws. Crumbling the road its standing on and withering all plants withing a 30 foot radius with its mere presence, it produces a terrifying gurgling laugh.

Reaching forward, it grabs in its claws two terrified guards, their armour and weapons crumbling away. Their screams pierce your ears as the angel gives them the Kiss of Death. The process starts slowly, with all hair falling our and bowels being evacuated, but speeds up until the guards become miniature versions of the 'Angel' itself.

You cant help but shake your head in disbelief at the spectacle displayed before you. No Drow magic user should be this powerful. No Drow should be able to summon creatures this deadly, this disgusting.

You look beyond the Necrotic army towards the garrison of the city. The guards who were first outside were now in full retreat, slowly being either hacked to pieces, eaten or converted by the Necromancers summons pets. Fortunately, the clerics and their supporting holy warriors as well as the mages were pouring over the rubble of the city wall, holy spells and mage-magic being launched by the dozen per second into the advancing army. You smile as you hear the battle cries and war shouts of the holy warriors as they cleave their way through the undead with their enchanted weapons.

You realise you have to do something to distract the Angel of Nekrum, or at least distract the necromancers who had now switched to providing anti-spell support to their new army.

During the commotion, some memories come trickling through. You remember at least half a dozen arrow enchantments that can be used to make them more deadly and resistant to deflection, among them explosive, fire and ice arrows.

What do you do? Your honour will not allow you to run away.

(Tip 1: Remember, you are a huntress. You are very agile and stealthy. Distraction, rapid kills and guerrilla warfare are the ways you kill and can be used against the brainless undead and over zealous residents of the underworld with great effect, if you get it right.

Tip 2: The magic you know can make your arrows fly true and far more deadly. 

Tip 3: There is dense forest on either side of the road all the way up until roughly 50 feet in front of the wall. I recommend you make good use of it.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:26:18 am by kahn1234 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 09:34:21 am »

((Explosive arrows? And a forest?

... I'm in heaven right now :D Though it does seem that we are somewhat reskinned wood elves now, unfortunately :P

Though I have to ask if the bow itself is enchanted, and if we can do that kind of magic with most projectile.))

Stick to the treetops, start peppering the angel with explosive arrows. Jump from treetop to treetop as necessary to avoid anything sent to try and neutralize us.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 09:57:22 am »

... I'm in heaven right now :D Though it does seem that we are somewhat reskinned wood elves now, unfortunately :P

Though I have to ask if the bow itself is enchanted, and if we can do that kind of magic with most projectile.))

Stick to the treetops, start peppering the angel with explosive arrows. Jump from treetop to treetop as necessary to avoid anything sent to try and neutralize us.

((Oh yes, i forgot you can also make us of extensive cunning, crossbows (which you dont have at the moment) and a host of other things Drow like to use. Cunning is the only one readily available, at the moment, however

The bow is enchanted, like the longsword and knives you hold. They are enchanted and blessed using spells of Calithari and made from Dark-steel, one of the strongest substances in the Darklands, the underground home of the Drow. The bow is reinforced with dark-steel, not made from it. It is made from blessed cavewood)).

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 10:00:04 am »

((We ought to see if we can replace the longbow with a crossbow, or better yet; a repeating crossbow. Should be fun to use with out magic :3

Still doesn't answer my question about the magic though.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 10:31:04 am »

((Sorry if i wasn't clear. You aren't floating, you are being physically held up in one arm by the Necromancer. Yes, that does mean he is lifting a fully grown Drow woman in armour up with one arm. No, i never said they were weak, squishy wizards. Yes, i do remember saying they had far more magic at their disposal than just necromancy.
That somehow makes them less intimidating. I can't figure out why.

Also, reread the part where they react to the Mages and clerics 'activating' themselves. The Necromancers are not worried. You should be worried that they aren't worried.
Why? There's not much we can do about it now except bluff and guess.

There is a reason they didn't slit our throat when they took our weapons. I'm betting on that reason stopping them from killing us once more.

By the way, when i built this universe, i tried to move away from the cliches established by 40 years of Forgotten Realms D&D, even though it does draw heavily from that universe. Never assume you know the way any possible enemies will react. Always prepare for the unexpected.)).
I enjoy a very specific type of schaudenfreude, where the suffering one is a character I control. Bring it on.

((Oh, THAT bit of info would've been nice earlier :P ))
Yeah.

I also never said anything about him restraining your extremities.
Default assumptions: Enemies don't overlook stuff that obvious.

((We ought to see if we can replace the longbow with a crossbow, or better yet; a repeating crossbow.
Eh. Maybe if we can get it as high-quality and enchanted as our longbow.

(Tip 1: Remember, you are a huntress. You are very agile and stealthy. Distraction, rapid kills and guerrilla warfare are the ways you kill and can be used against the brainless undead and over zealous residents of the underworld with great effect, if you get it right.
On the other hand, undead are immune to critical hits for a reason.

Sadly, I don't see much reason for us to bother. Running seems to give the best benefits long-term. And short-term. And not-dying-term.
That said, Taricus's plan works.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 10:42:16 am »

((Agreed on the crossbow point GWG, but if we can, say, make thrown rocks explosive and accurate, we won't need either. Grenade spam anyone? :3))

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:04 am »

((You cant, or rather wont run due to your sense of honour and your (still as yet) unexplained hatred of the evil drow (in case i didnt make this clear earlier, the Drow are in a state of Civil war, with both sides doing terrible things. Even though this is not the Forgotten Realms, they are still Drow), the undead and the denizens of the underworld.

No, you can only use your projectile magic on arrows or bolts. Although explosive rocks is a nickname given to a certain type of Dwarf weaponry....

Also, does anyone know how to change the Thread title? I want to remove the 'Amnesiac' part of the title.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Adventures of an Explanatory Drow
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 11:44:33 am »

Edit the OP and remove it from the title bar. Kinda like I did.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Adventures of an Explanatory Drow
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 11:46:18 am »

Edit the OP and remove it from the title bar. Kinda like I did.

((Thanks. Anything other than Amnesiac. I dont know what i was thinking....))

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 11:49:56 am »

((Not the same thing, and a lot more expensive. So that rules that out then :c

And I know what needs to go out the window first: that pesky sense of honour. It isn't going to do much except get us into places where we shouldn't AKA the afterlife. Hatred's fine and all, but sometimes you need to use a dagger in the back rather than a longsword to the front.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Adventures of a Deft Drow
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 11:51:06 am »

I'm kinda surprised that "sense of honor" coexists with "society built largely on backstabbing," really. I'd imagine it's mostly a lip-service thing for most drow.
Sig

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 12:15:40 pm »

((The 'good' drow, of whom Arin is one, like to consider themselves very honourable, and/or at least try to be honourable. The 'Evil' drow tend to back stab the first chance they get. Notice how the Necromancers did not give a damn about anyone except themselves?))

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 12:27:02 pm »

((Sounds more and more like the evil drow are the only actual ones, just saying :P

Need to replace honour with pragmatism soon though, or we'll be in a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire. Not a nice end :P ))

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2013, 12:29:35 pm »

((Sounds more and more like the evil drow are the only actual ones, just saying :P

Need to replace honour with pragmatism soon though, or we'll be in a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire. Not a nice end :P ))

You haven't met any other drow except the necromancers. Hell you arent even entirely sure where you are, yet. Dont judge just yet :)

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »

You have an idea. Trees aren't much different to the stalagmites you played on during your childhood, so why not use your past experience to your advantage?

Leaping into the trees, you slowly make your way to the top. Once there, however, you quickly set to work firing explosive arrows at the Angel.

Notching an arrow, you chant. "Sha’quih Est!”. Your arrow glows a faint orange. You release the arrow, and it flies, although it only impacts the Angels thigh, blowing a large hole in the rancid muscle tissue. You fire again, this time hitting your intended target, the Angels lower spine. A hole is blown in its back. It does not stop moving, much to your surprise. In fact it just turns around and starts laughing in its horrible gurgling voice.

"HA HA HA HA The stupid drow thinks she is a match for me?" It laughs.

In response, you fire in quick succession two more arrows, aiming for the angels knees. One hits the foot, and another hits a knee. The angel stumbles. The wounds, however, have already started to close and regrow.

"HAHAHAHA PATHETIC!" It roars, before catapulting with one of its tremendous arms a ball of its rotten flesh. You deftly jump out of the way onto another tree as the blob hits you previous position. You watch in horror as the tree is slowly eaten away.

Turning back to the angel, you see it motion towards a small group of its followers. Three of its spawn, as well as a dozen assorted undead, move towards you. You also realise that there are spirits there. Two wraiths and a banshee harass you, using their shock magic in an attempt to drive you downwards.

You leap from tree to tree, trying to get away.

Unfortunately, halfway between two trees you get hit by a large bolt of lightning coupled with a wail from the banshee, which causes you to lose concentration and fall. Fortunately, you manage to land on your feet. Bad news is, the undead and the three angel-spawn are close behind you.

What do you do? You know the Angel Spawn do not have the decay-aura of the original one. In fact, all they have are their claws and teeth. And the assorted undead are nothing you think you couldn't handle.

What course of action do you take?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10