Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What brought you to DF?  (Read 4492 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
What brought you to DF?
« on: December 19, 2013, 01:50:55 pm »

Simply said, how did you got to know of the existence of DF?

In my case it was through Minecraft. Its website states that game was inspired by Infiniminer, Dungeon Keeper and Dwarf Frotress. I had already played DK and loved it, Infiniminer didnt sound so good (quite like a simplified version Minecraft IIrc), and then DF, i already liked dwarves so i gave it a try.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What brought you to DF?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:42 pm »

TVTropes.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:54:19 pm »

Hmmm..
I think that I first heard about it when it won a few game awards in 2006-2007 and then got interested after boatmurdered. Played for a few days during 40d and was interested in the game but did not continue playing for some reason.  Then I played a single fort after z-levels were introduced, screwed up my fort (muddying farm soil, water cistern, a river and water pressure. Yep. Then I lost my only picks during my greed for magma) and stopped playing again. Finally a few days after the release of 0.34 I started playing seriously and got hooked. Been playing ever since
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:36:07 pm »

There was a thread about it in the Other Games section of the Total War Center forums.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:56:00 am »

Read an article in Games For Windows magazine about the Adams brothers and their deeply complex game.  I enjoyed roguelikes so I figured it was something interesting.  This was back when it was 2D and 3D version was so new the website had a warning "not to use it yet" due to it being unstable.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:41:33 am »

I was a member here before DF was even released. I think the first time I heard of it was when Toady posted about it in the old WW1 medic thread.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:49:18 pm »

I just remember some gaming people mentioning it here and there a long while ago, so I Googled and then I don't know what happened and then I posted this.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:21:53 pm »

I don't remember, mostly because I first heard of it, downloaded and tried to play it ~4 years ago and only actually got into it 2 and a half years ago.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:47 pm »

An IRC channel (not the Dwarf Fortress one) in 2008. It was a different time.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »

I think I might have found my way to the magmawiki somehow, and just read a shitload of pages and then downloaded the game.
I like sushi.

darthsuegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:36:04 pm »

I read about it on a forum for an old MUD I played. During downtime, a user suggested people try Dwarf Fortress. If I remember right, this was just after the first versions of 40d were released. That's when I tried it out

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:46 am »

TVTropes.
This. Just remember if being an exception to many tropes for it's realism.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 03:29:16 am »

Boatmurdered made me play Dwarf Fortress.

I found out about Dwarf Fortress at the same time I found out about Minecraft, on Shamus Young's Twenty Sided blog, but I played Minecraft first. Talk around Minecraft probably brought up Boatmurdered at some point.

I had been reading Twenty Sided because of Shamus Young's "DM of The Rings" series.

I learned about DM of The Rings through the Darths & Droids webcomic, which at the time was still on the Star Wars prequels.

I learned about Darths & Droids through TVTropes.

Oh my god—it all goes back to TVTropes. I thought I had escaped it...but...this whole time...oh my god...
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 04:52:26 am »

I read about it on Three Panel Soul then fell in love.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:16 pm »

I think I can ultimately trace my discovery of DF back to TV Tropes. I got to the LP Archive from the LP of Sonic '06, and I probably got the link for that off a TVT page. How did I find my way to that particular TVT page? No-one ever seems to remember that...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5