Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What brought you to DF?  (Read 4489 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: What brought you to DF?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 10:19:16 pm »

An LPer called Hunterblackluna did an LP. I watched. I loved.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 05:55:27 pm »

Minecraft. I saw it listed as one of the games that inspired minecraft, but it was described as a "rogue-like" (I hate nethack and rogue) so I didn't check it out until about 2-3 months later. The first version I ever played was 34.7, but I have been making up for lost time since :p

Fun fact: I almost never play minecraft anymore, but my love for DF is still going strong :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 06:14:47 pm »

TVtropes

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 02:06:46 pm »

I think I heard something about df somewhere.
then I read about that the game was on art museum, took the new york times articel, and after that decided to learn the game.. and thatīs my way

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 02:23:52 pm »

I'm one of those people who got to it from Minecraft.

I recognized the name since way before I actually started playing it, but I didn't really know what it was. Then one day a few years ago, I checked on the Minecraft wiki and noticed the thing saying it was partly inspired by a game called Dwarf Fortress, and remembered that I had never played the game or even seen what it looked like. I read some stories about it, hilarity ensued, and I decided that I'd finally give it a try.

That was the beginning of madness for me. (Though I didn't join the forums until quite some time later)

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »

Hubby played it first, and as we were in the moving process (with my arm in a sling) I asked him to install it for me. I've always been a fan of a good civilization-managing game, and when you combine it with the goodness of pure, senseless violence...well...yay?

I was instantly hooked. This game is better than crack. I often lay awake at night thinking about what I need to do to my fortress. *shakes head*
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 09:48:06 pm »

Saw this

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »

Minecraft Wiki, the opening paragraph. Tsk, I've never tried Infiniminer, although is listed alongside DF. Also, I have never read Boatmurdered.

Thanks to this thread I went over to read TVTropes' entry about the game, and found this glaring inaccuracy:
Quote from: TVTropes
Story-Driven Invulnerability: Randomly generated megabeasts, like Forgotten Beasts and Titans, are invulnerable during world generation, that they may wander the world and shape history through their actions. They only become vulnerable once the player has an opportunity to interact with them, otherwise they might get killed early on and the player will never see them. This is especially true of random megabeasts that are made from materials that would otherwise be particularly delicate and would never have survived otherwise.

Untrue. Also, came alive from that site.

As soon as I downloaded the game it was love at first sight, as no other title, free or paid, has come bundled with so much entertainment. I became vocal with my praise for the game and garnered at least two friends to play along, as well as a bunch of weird stares and "what the hell are you playing?"-type questions.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 03:19:29 pm »

It was Headshoots that got me interested in DF. I did some digging and found Syrupleaf, then Boatmurdered. I've laughed, I've cried, but I haven't looked back.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »

My most unliked change over the years is that you can cut anything into a gem nowadays.  Whippersnappers lazy gemcutters can't bother to find a real gem ... bah!  Cabochon granite!  Pfaw!
You can get rid of those by getting rid of the [STONE_SHAPE] lines in the dwarven entity. Doing so probably won't cause any issues.

If you butcher anything that returns gizzard stones, you'll end up with some stone gems anyway. I think I'd prefer gizzard stones to be classed as rough gems, since unworked gizzard stone windows aren't really my thing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 09:15:07 am »

Looong ago, I read about DF; probably because of so-called Rogue-likes.  When I went to the site, I thought it looked very shady, must be the wrong site, so I left.

Years later I read Boatmurdered, and decided to try again.  Came to the same site again, but decided to look around a bit, thought it looked legitimate and finally tried the game.  Lucky me!

I think upgrading the site was a good idea, but they could have done it much sooner.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 04:06:16 pm »

I was on the Minecraft forum and I found a thread about Dwarf Fortress. It had a link to TinyPirate's 40d guide. I wasn't really that interested, but hey, it inspired Minecraft, so it should be good, right?
Then, it happened. I fell in love with the game.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 04:12:37 pm »

captnduck
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 04:44:41 pm »

TVTropes again. Awhile back I would spend hours upon hours just browsing around and finding about new stuff. Dwarf Fortress sounded interesting and it was the first game I tried that was toted as being very difficult. Turns out I liked that, and it led me to new and wonderful realms of getting my ass handed to me by a wide variety of video games.
This space for rent

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »

I don't think it was like me finding Dwarf Fortress..... it was more like Dwarf Fortress finding me. Must have been back in 09' or so, got bored of games being "easy". Found the wiki and gave the game a try. Took a break, found the Lazy Newb Pack and started playing again. Found Masterwork DF and haven't looked back.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5