Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Gaming Setup for 2014 and beyond  (Read 3303 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your Gaming Setup for 2014 and beyond
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:15:49 pm »

I wanna quickly see what machines people are looking at for the next few years before this thread gets buried...

I was Xbox 360, but MS screwed me over with RRoD and poor service for the XBLGold... so Xbone is out and I was gonna go PS4 for this generation, but since I got onto Steam, I'm thinking why bother since most console games come to PC anyway?

Sooo... I'm looking at PC + Nintendo.  They've really won me over with pure games (playing Ocarina of Time 3D now), and I like the look of some WiiU titles.  Plus there is Zero chance of that stuff coming to PC.  Plus money is tight and Nintendo hardware is cheaper.  So my projected setup is...

PC + 3DS + WiiU.

How about you folks?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Gaming Setup for 2014 and beyond
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »

I've been PC for years. I have (had) a PS3 and rarely used it, have an XB360 and used it only for rock band pretty much. All the games I actually play are on PC.

Currently the only game worth getting on next gen is dead rising 3, so we have tow ait and see what kind of exclusives we get. I'm kinda liking PS4 more than Xbone but... well, once again, games. WiiU kinda suffered when Rayman got pushed back, which sucks for them, it's going to take a bit for them to 'catch up.'

I have a 3ds (well a 2ds but whatever) but I rarely ever use it since I don't travel much. It's still fun to play some rune factory every once in a while, I do like me harvest moon with combat =p

So for me... just PC. You can already get a "next gen PC" for just a little more than what the "next gen consoles" cost, and since the next gen consoles mostly use PC-like architecture it means games are more likely to be ported to PC (or vice versa).

I've seen a couple games are planning to be cross-platform play between PC and PS4 which is pretty neat, I've always wanted some kind of cross-platform games =D

So for me... PC + 3ds (kinda) + PS4 (if they put something worthwhile out on it)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:05:18 pm »

... I can afford a computer, sorta'. I can't afford any other gaming-capable console (and the computer only because it's kinda' necessary for what m'doing/intending to do), and likely won't be able to justify the cost of 'em* even once that state changes.

So, uh. PC going forward into the foreseeable future.

*I've got access to far more (really good) games than I'll ever be able to play to completion with just the PC (especially if you throw emulation into the fire). Dropping 3+ months worth of food on a box to play games I'll either be able access immediately on the comp due to cross-platform or via other means years down the line is... silly?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:27:50 pm »

Sticking with computer as I'm sure most other people are on this site. Got no interest in the consoles and I prefer digital media over physical.

My setup is in need of a bit of upgrading but nothing extreme. I really need to buy a new case and motherboard though. The place I'm living in is like a kiln in summer and it's been pushing my cpu and gpu upwards of 85 when playing some of the more taxing games. It seems like the case also shorted my motherboard and blew up the onboard soundcard forcing me to use a piece of crap external one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:00 pm »

PC. I think I'm going to buy a used PS3 at some point here, since 4 is out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:11:07 am »

I more or less cannot justify buying any of the new consoles.  The only one I'm looking at though is Wii U, for Xenoblade 2, and I would still need significant price drops + used most likely.

For everything else, I'm saving up for a new PC. I've got a Phenom II 4 core 2.6ghz, 790 FX Gd70 board, 8gb ram, and a recently purchased GeForce GTX 570.  I had looked at the Intel 4770 this shopping season, and a smattering of other things, but decided to wait till at least next year to go all in (and I'd likely get everything but GFX card, and use this old PC for something else / give away, as I've got a Radeon HD 4890 that used to go in it)

For games, I'm already pretty loaded due to constant bundles and sales, and have enough to play on for an entire year even if I didn't get anything new. Of course, I also still need to make more time to program, so theres that too.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:16:17 am »

Same handful of consoles I've always had:

Gamecube
Original, non-360, non-One Xbox
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
PC

I think I might be getting a tablet in the future, so I'll count that. Otherwise, I'm not feeling especially inspired to buy any of the new consoles on the market between all the controversy and lack of games that interest me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:17:31 am »

I probably wont be upgrading anything I have in 2014 since most games that released this year I can still play on high graphics settings with my old gtx 285.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 01:45:03 am »

If I'm playing a game, you can bet it's on the PC. I just can't get into consoles and they tend to be a waste of money for me.

That said, I may pick up a tablet PC some time in the next year, depending on a lot of factors, but more as a portable notepad than something to play games with. We'll see what it can do though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 02:00:53 am »

I haven't owned a console since the first Playstation, and I expect that will continue to be the case.  The types of game I prefer tend to be more prolific on, and better suited to the PC.  If I had real-world friends to do the whole huddled round the tv gaming thing I might look into a console, but that's not been the case since, well, the first Playstation was still around.

My current PC's 3 years old and still generally runs new games just fine on high-ish settings, so I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 02:33:19 am »

I've been playing exclusively PC for nearly 20 years. But recently I got myself a 3DS XL and have spent 300 hours on Pokemon Y.

Not planning to get any console.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 02:34:54 am »

PC, PS4, PSVita, 3DS, and PS3. I'm set for all the gaming consoles I'll be buying for the next...  5+ years minimum I think (not including a couple of PC upgrades; mine's already slipping down into the low-end). Sony and Microsoft aren't going to push a new console for at least 6 or 7 which looks like the current trend. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are still very much active and have new game releases coming well into fall of 2014, and I don't think people are going to make a significant new push to the current gen until prices come down and the software starts piling up. As for the WiiU, well... It's definitely Nintendo's game to lose, and if they don't make some miracle marketing ploy for the WiiU that rejuvenates some interest in the platform I could definitely see Nintendo switching to some new hardware in the next 3 or 4 years. It's kind of irrelevant to me though, I don't plan to buy any of them any time soon. Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and I would definitely play a WiiU if I wasn't already utterly swamped with games to play.

All that really leaves is handhelds, which are kind of on their own flow. I only get a new handheld like... maybe once every other generation? Even less than that depending on where my personal interests are at a given time. They tend to endure through generations much better than consoles, and they even tend to have a much larger selection of "gotta play" software, which is kinda interesting.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 03:59:41 am »

I've really been debating getting a PS4 (zero interest in the Xbox One, and the WiiU barely warrants a mention) but I have so many PC games that I haven't even touched (literally 200+, thanks Steam) that I can't find the time to play, and a new console isn't exactly going to create more time for gaming. I find myself cycling through the same couple of games nowadays anyway (Dominions 4, Dota 2, CK2, EU4...) and I'm not even particularly looking forward to any upcoming releases.

As far as long-term plans: I'll most likely pick up a PS4 once there are some fantastic games for it in 2-3 years, but until then, PC only. Neither of the other consoles interest me in the slightest.

Oh, and I might pick up a Vita and 3DS sometime soonish since I've been spending a lot of time on transit lately.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 04:28:30 am »

My PC will carry me for a good few years, maybe with the occasional upgrade here and there along the way. It's beefy enough to handle anything at "Ultra" settings on the market right now without choking, so barring equipment failure my i7-3820, 16GB RAM and 2x nVidia GTX 560s will keep me occupied.

For mobile gaming, I'm getting an Asus tablet at some point in the near future as a late birthday/early Christmas present (listed here). I figure the specs will be good enough to last, and whether I want to run it as an emulator or mobile coding platform with the keyboard dock (which also acts as a secondary battery and stand, with USB slots for other goodies) I'll be keeping my social media and email on my phone.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: [1] 2