Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: Iron Diadem, Night One: Things Said Behind Bars - [ABORTED]  (Read 70702 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron Diadem, Night One: Things Said Behind Bars - [ABORTED]
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:09 am »

Iron Diadem

Deer Sygphred,

The kween is ded.  Shee made a cownsell of "people of nobility and talent, to rule in my stead should I perish--to cement the stability and life of this great country" but sumthing is rong amung them & Norway is mooving in the North.  They say it is becuz the Goddiss is angree.  She wonts the land bak.

It haz bin 5 years.  Wer r you?  I no they wud be talking about this evrywer so I am wundring if u herd anything.  I herd u wer werking in a tavurn but u disapeerd & I feer ur cuntry wil disapeer with u.

I cant stay heer much longer.

--HH

This is a BYOR Kingmaker with a flavor twist.  The story continues from The Lonely Prince, but no prior knowledge of that game is necessary.

As this is a BYOR, you will be asked to PM a coat of arms to Webadict, Solifuge, and myself (Vector), from which your role will be constructed.  This consists of colors and symbols that would appear as part of your role's family heraldry (see here for more information than you could possibly want), from which Webadict will create your actions.  You don't need to make a picture--words are fine.

As this is a flavor-heavy game, you may also submit a short description of something you think would be cool for your character role.  Furthermore, you may submit flavor night actions if you wish, interact with characters during the day, whatever.  I will be using this information to craft a story.  You are, of course, portraying one of the dead queen's council.

Things you may want to keep in mind: 1. You may not play as any character from one of my previous games, though your character's story will likely be woven in with theirs; 2. I am pretty flexible, but if it flat-out does not fit the tone (example: spacecraft), I will find some way make it fit the tone (myth-and-legendish early 1500s Denmark with a thing for Shakespeare--whatever your challenge is, I accept it :I); 3. The themes of this game are Faith, Fate, and Governance; 4. You can find previous games linked in my sig, if you're curious about what they were like.

There will be a lot of flavor.  It's a BYOR!  Bring what YOU want.  It might just get tweaked a bit to fit the story :]

As Solifuge is a mensch, he will be making images of your coats of arms.  These, along with your role name, will be publicly visible throughout the game.  Please remember that character description and discussion of symbolism should be sent only to Webadict and myself.

As this is a Kingmaker, a single person will be selected as Kingmaker, who then selects someone to be King for a day.  Only the King has a vote, and once it is cast, that person is executed.  The king will be announced at the start of each day, and may or may not be on the side of town.

This game will be pretty complex.  I will not accept any raw beginners, but folks with little experience may still be accepted upon review.

For those familiar with The Lonely Prince, you may be interested to hear that the Princess Amendment is not in place.  However, I will still ask that you not be cruel to each other.

You are not in this game until all three people mentioned above--Vector, Webadict, and Solifuge--have received your role.

General rules:
   1. The execution must be in red and bold, and in this format: Execute Playername.  There is no unvoting--once cast, it is final.  If you are not the king, do not post in red.
   2. The day will last until an execution is decided, while Nights are at least 24 hours.  The night time span does not includes weekend, though I may end weekend-spanning nights after 24 hours if all night actions are in.
   3. Never edit your posts for any reason, including typos.
   4. Do not PM other players.  Players with private chat access will be given a topic on QuickTopic where they may post freely.
   5. Never quote any PM from the mod.  You may give a general summary (for example, a roleclaim), but do not quote directly.
   6. Please put my name in bold if you would like to get my attention.  This goes double for actions posted in a QuickTopic--I WILL IGNORE ANYTHING THAT IS NOT IN BOLD.
   7. A deadline will only be enforced if I deem that the game is stalled.  I will give a minimum of 36 hours notice if I enforce a deadline.  If there is no decision by the deadline, the king will be executed.
   8. Dead players may post one “bah post” to comment on their death, but it may not contain any relevant game information.  After that, dead men tell no tales, so please do not post.
   9. Please make an effort to post at least once daily.  If you do not post for 36 hours without reason, you will be prodded.  If I don’t hear from you within 24 more hours, you may be replaced (in particular: do not disappear if you are the king).  If you think someone needs a prod, please bring it to my attention--I can’t guarantee I will notice everyone who is not posting.
  10. There may be post restrictions.  These should not interfere with gameplay.
  11. I cannot answer questions about player's actions unless that player's actions are available to be seen. I cannot answer questions about your actions in-thread. I can, however, answer generic questions. I will simply ask you to rephrase the question, if I deem the question is bad.
  12. However, a lot of information on flavor will be publicly available.
  13. Short-term absences need to be stated before you become absent, or I will not be able to take them into account.
  14. If you can no longer post, you may Request Replacement. If there is anyone in the replacement queue that person will replace you. If not, you will remain in the game until this happens.
  15. Never underestimate your importance, have fun, and always play to win!

Game-specific rules:
The game will start on Night 0 with the thread locked.  Only the Kingmaker may act Night 0, though the scum may start talking in their scum chat.

Spoiler: Webadict on Roles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Webadict on Alignments (click to show/hide)

My thanks to LNCP, Toaster, and Webadict, from whom I took most of the rules.

The Queen's Counsel [players]
Jim Groovester - Mark II of House Magnus - Dropped from a great height Day One
Imp - Cille Edithsdatter
Persus13 - Gwenhwyfar
makeinu - Viggo Valentinsen
Cheeetar - Ansgar Danielsen
Caz - Vivianus of Austyn
Urist Imiknorris - Rød Grønsdatter
SuperBlackCat - Kisa Albertsdatter
Tiruin - Giovanna da Venezia
TolyK - Tadeusz Brzęczyszczykiewicz
Toaster - Maren Jørgensdatter
zombie urist - Louisa von Solenheim

Distant relatives [replacements]
RangerCado
TheWetSheep
Could be you!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:43:16 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron Diadem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:13:37 am »

Dramatis personae

The Queen's Council

Viggo Valentinsen       Mark II of House Magnus   Cille Edithsdatter

Ansgar Danielsen         Vivianus of Austyn      Louisa von Solenheim

Rød Grønsdatter                Tadeusz             Maren Jørgensdatter
                                      Brzęczyszczykiewicz       

Giovanna da Venezia      Kisa Albertsdatter            Gwenhwyfar

And also....

The Old Goddess Death
                                 Fortinbras, King of Norway
                       Various Servants to the Queen's Council

The Tale

Letter to Sigfred
Council of Thirteen
Rex Danorum
Future Writs From the Grave
Things Said Behind Bars
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:20:56 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Diadem [0/12] [BYOR Kingmaker from Web and Vector]
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:40:07 am »

In

I'll get a coat of arms in tomorrow.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:46:30 am »

Posting to watch.

This looks interesting, but I doubt that one day of a BM is enough experience.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 02:05:30 am »

SO MUCH IN.

This is like reading one of the HP books again. Very intriguing.

*checks title*
*Web and Vector and Solifuge*
...*coat of arms*
*faints*

Oh gods...give me a moment.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:13:03 am »

This space reserved!

In, because thing have to get better and I get free time again, right?  Before the game starts, surely.

And because this seems like the sort of game that any player should come back from the dead for, even.  Lets hope it doesn't take that  :o.

If things are not better and I cannot actually commit to the game, I will relinquish my spot before it starts.  But I happen to already -have- something of a coat of arms, thanks to a previous college class that required designing one...  This game is meant to be for me, right?  Better be.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:19:06 am »

This space reserved!

In, because thing have to get better and I get free time again, right?  Before the game starts, surely.
This makes me 100% happier to see you playing no matter what else is in between. And thanks for the PM.. :D

I really hope you're doing better. *cheers*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:22:42 am »

Soli's only unlisted in the thread title because what he's doing doesn't preclude him from playing >_<  Thanks, you guys.  I'm really looking forward to running this shindig.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 02:45:55 am »

I squee at quality writing >_> It's a thing with me and literature and the arts.
It captivates me
The call of word and writing
Like infinite song

Also I like how you did that letter. x3

As Solifuge is a mensch, he will be making images of your coats of arms.  These, along with your role name, will be publicly visible throughout the game.
The themes of this game are Faith, Fate, and Governance
As this is a flavor-heavy game, you may also submit a short description of something you think would be cool for your character role.  Furthermore, you may submit flavor night actions if you wish, interact with characters during the day, whatever.  I will be using this information to craft a story.  You are, of course, portraying one of the dead queen's council.
...Give me the weekend to furnish this out. If need be, I'll be the one to make my own coat of arms. Yay, my history lessons are used this time! :3

For Europe!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 07:22:13 am »

Soli's only unlisted in the thread title because what he's doing doesn't preclude him from playing >_<  Thanks, you guys.  I'm really looking forward to running this shindig.
So long as you ONLY PM him the herald, it's fine. If your herald is an image or a description, then you should PM him only that. Any information pertaining to your herald's meaning or your character's description should be handled only by Vector and me.

I believe this will allow Solifuge to play.

EDIT: If you do an MSPaint herald, thank you. Especially if you do them freehand. Where's Org when you need him?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:49:03 am by webadict »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 07:52:00 am »

Posting to watch.

This looks interesting, but I doubt that one day of a BM is enough experience.
My view is that you're free to play so long as you understand the commitment you make by joining. This game will take upwards of a month or longer. If you decide to replace out, it will effect your ability to join my games in the future.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 10:35:29 am »

As this is a BYOR, you will be asked to PM a coat of arms to Webadict, Solifuge, and myself (Vector), from which your role will be constructed.  This consists of colors and symbols that would appear as part of your role's family heraldry (see here for more information than you could possibly want), from which Webadict will create your actions.  You don't need to make a picture--words are fine.
Aww sweet, can I-

2. I am pretty flexible, but if it flat-out does not fit the tone (example: spacecraft), I will make it fit the tone (myth-and-legendish early 1500s Denmark with a thing for Shakespeare); 3. The themes of this game are Faith, Fate, and Governance;
Oh.  Nevermind.  :(

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 10:43:49 am »

I don't think they'll take "The winner of Iron Diadem" as your coat of arms.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 11:51:29 am »

Aww sweet, can I-

2. I am pretty flexible, but if it flat-out does not fit the tone (example: spacecraft), I will make it fit the tone (myth-and-legendish early 1500s Denmark with a thing for Shakespeare); 3. The themes of this game are Faith, Fate, and Governance;
Oh.  Nevermind.  :(
Psssst... Be clever about it. ;)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:30 pm »

What's the difference between the herald and role? Am I supposed to send webadict a character bio? Is the "meaning" of my herald supposed to be symbolic (e.g. love)?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32