Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: Iron Diadem, Night One: Things Said Behind Bars - [ABORTED]  (Read 71332 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Diadem, Night Zero: Council of Thirteen
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2014, 10:59:27 pm »

Night Zero will officially end within 36 hours.  I expect it to take rather less time than that, but I have been tied up with some necessary financial and housing arrangements which, regrettably, take precedence over this tale.

Some people have sent in flavor actions.  This is awesome!  I will start writing those and sending those first, so if folks want to send in a flavor action, there's still time for that.

Take care, everyone...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:26 pm »

Currently writing and sending PMs.  Day will begin when the thread unlocks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:44 pm »

Still writing PMs, getting there.

This is a friendly reminder that anything that's public knowledge about you will be accessible to everyone.  Another friendly reminder is that flavor is for fun and that if you try to use it to break the game, I will find increasingly inventive ways to deter you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2014, 02:13:35 am »

DESPERATE LAMAZE NOISES

IT'S ALMOST HERE GUYS JUST WAIT A LITTLE BIT LONGER

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron Diadem, Day One: Rex Danorum
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2014, 03:37:47 am »

The next morning is cold, and an uneasy silence settles over the council table as you assemble.  The dishes and old proclamations have been cleared away and for once--the first time in a month--the table is completely bare.  The Queen's steward--who is rightly your collective steward now, though you do not see him that way, cannot think of him that way--is still making arrangements for the morning meal as the first of you drift in.  Then his underlings depart, and you are surprised to see him still standing there, waiting.  Normally he is too busy fussing over something or other, and leaves your accommodations to the youth Phaedrus.

It is just when you have settled yourself comfortably that he says:

"All rise for the King of Denmark!"

Grumbling, you stand to attention.  This was not necessary in the Queen's years, and it is strange to see one of your number so suddenly and conspicuously elevated.  Lord Magistrate Ansgar Danielsen sweeps down the stairs, dressed in ermine, crowned in iron.  He holds his head high despite his years, even if his shoulders are stiff and a scar wends its from his cheekbone into his short white beard.  It is known to all, if only by rumor, that the man survived five assassination attempts in his time on the bench.  He shakes off the steward's proffered arm and slowly, almost creaking, lowers himself into the throne he occupies as though he were born to it.

"Parchment and quill, boy," he says to the steward, who is graying at the temples.

"Immediately, sire."

In that moment you can feel the Queen's memory rushing away.  Her words, wise and otherwise; her image.  Here resides the highest authority in the land.

"Be seated," says Ansgar, giving each of you a piercing look.  "Court is now in session."

Day will end once King Cheeetar has chosen who is to be executed by voting in red and writing Execute [Player].

Long live the King!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Diadem, Day One: Rex Danorum
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2014, 04:05:57 am »

12. However, a lot of information on flavor will be publicly available.

I would like, briefly, to remind everyone about this rule before we get started.

If the other characters would know something about you, then it will be accessible to the player.  The game has been designed with this in mind.  One more time: the flavor is here for fun.  The flavor is here for fun.  The flavor is here for fun.  I will spend a lot of time on the flavor, but the flavor is here for fun.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2014, 04:21:29 am »

King Cheeetar, I see that on your herald you have a horse on a stick, a coat hanger suspending two bird cages, some sort of weird eagle-lion hybrid, and your last name clearly comes from the Karate Kid. What is the significance of all of these?

Also, how much time will there be from when you've made your decision about whom to execute and when you execute them?

Toaster, if you were Kingmaker who would you have picked?

Also, is your herald what I think it is?

Imp, could you give me a long-winded reply to a simple question? Thanks.

Also, in the most recent Paranormal, how much of you complaining about Toaster's and myself's joking around was bluster and how much of it was legitimate complaint?

One more time: the flavor is here for fun.  The flavor is here for fun.  The flavor is here for fun.  I will spend a lot of time on the flavor, but the flavor is here for fun.

So this is just a regular old mafia game and we don't have to look over the flavor for clues and riddles?

Tiruin, on a scale from one to Shakespearean tragedy, how sad are you that there's no purpose to flavor besides fun?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:57 am »

So this is just a regular old mafia game and we don't have to look over the flavor for clues and riddles?

This is correct.

I'll add that the game will probably be more amusing the more terrible poetry I get to write, as a rule, and that I have created lots of mysteries for you to enjoy, but this time mechanics and flavor are separated.  You may not want to give away all the details of your role--and indeed, most of your characters have some variety of personal secret--but anything that would be public knowledge like physical appearance, character name, etc. is fair game.

And that's all I'll say on that.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2014, 04:34:07 am »

All hail the King of Denmark, quite.

Has breakfast arrived yet? If we are going to find this traitor, it should be on a full stomach. Hunger clouds the mind.

Pass the almonds.

TolyK: Don't remember playing with you yet. How would you describe your play style?
Persus13: How does your strategy in a Kingmaker game differ from normal mafia?
Urist Imiknorris: How are you going to convince the King to execute your enemies?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2014, 04:51:13 am »

Urist Imiknorris:  Why is there a dead creature... a dead... is that a rat!?! on your coat of arms?

King Cheeetar, Superblackcat, TolyK, Toaster and Caz:  Looking at the appearance of the various shields, which one do you like the most, which the least?  Why?

Superblackcat:  What is your gift?

Tiruin:  How important is color to you?  To your character?

zombie urist:  Your heraldry seems to speak of life, green growing things, and peace.  Why did you select the symbols you did?

Persus13:  Were you Kingmaker N0, what criteria would you have used to pick the King?

Jim:
Imp, could you give me a long-winded reply to a simple question? Thanks.
Probably.
Also, in the most recent Paranormal, how much of you complaining about Toaster's and myself's joking around was bluster and how much of it was legitimate complaint?
Legitimate confusion/concern.  Not to the level of complaint (who to complain to, even?).  I knew it didn't mean 'Scum'.  I don't understand it.  Oh well, maybe I figure it out someday.

How green am I to your eyes, compared to makeinu?

Vector
anything that would be public knowledge like physical appearance, character name, etc. is fair game.

Do we have to ask for these details, will they be provided individually as is appropriate, or is there a link to where common knowledge is posted for us all to peruse?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2014, 05:01:01 am »

King Cheeetar, Superblackcat, TolyK, Toaster and Caz:  Looking at the appearance of the various shields, which one do you like the most, which the least?  Why?

They're all pretty sweet. I'd say Ansgar Danielsen's (Cheeetar) is my favourite, though it's a bit busy. The garlic on yours made me laugh. Is that to keep away the vampires?

Gwenhwyfar's (Persus13) is interesting. I think she's going to have to change it though - Our Queen is dead and there are surely more to follow.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2014, 05:11:25 am »

The garlic on yours made me laugh. Is that to keep away the vampires?

They're all pretty sweet. I'd say Ansgar Danielsen's (Cheeetar) is my favourite, though it's a bit busy.

What helps you pick that one to say is your favorite?

Gwenhwyfar's (Persus13) is interesting. I think she's going to have to change it though - Our Queen is dead and there are surely more to follow.

Understanding that you like them all, did you add this comment to indicate that you like Persus13's the least, because it needs changing?  Or do you have a different answer to the one(s) you like less than the ones you like the most?

When I look at Persus's coat of arms, I see 10 golden crowns on a blue field.  Why does this symbology specifically indicate our Queen to you?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2014, 05:17:30 am »

Do we have to ask for these details, will they be provided individually as is appropriate, or is there a link to where common knowledge is posted for us all to peruse?

The way this works is that generally I mete out information as the game goes along to push the various plots.  People ask me questions publicly or privately when they feel like it.  If it's a public question about flavor and is answerable without ruining the game, it will be answered publicly.  There is a collection of links in the post here to all of the public moderator flavor.  On an average day I am usually willing to write a big-ass public moderator post, though sometimes I'll wait a day or two if I'm just not feeling it.  If you're interested in backstory--the details, and not just "what does my character know," to which I am more than willing to give a broad answer--then you might enjoy reading Ex Cathedra and The Lonely Prince, which are both linked in my sig.

Private questions will be answered privately by default, though if I suspect something will be a common question then usually I'll try to work it into a public post somehow.  Asking private questions about your flavor makes my job writing night PMs easier.  Asking private questions about the setting flavor makes me cheerful!  Asking public questions about the setting flavor makes me ecstatic as long as it's in moderation, because it's damn hard to tell a story when you only get two mandatory posts per day!  Asking private questions about other people's flavor because you want to get an edge on them will make me terrifically grumpy.  This is not a good idea, because grumpy mod processes nights more slowly.  Happy mod is a faster writer.

In general, questions will be answered at my discretion.  Sometimes it's just not the time to answer something, especially if I'm answering a lot of PMs or have something I'd rather be doing.  Priority will be given to disasters (which I will not enumerate here, because I do not want to give anyone any ideas), and after that it's in terms of whatever I find interesting or sets the scene.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2014, 05:29:36 am »

Whups, meant to answer this, not just quote it.

The garlic on yours made me laugh. Is that to keep away the vampires?

Oh no.  Vampires are probably not a concern to me.  Are they to you?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2014, 05:43:53 am »

DESPERATE LAMAZE NOISES

IT'S ALMOST HERE GUYS JUST WAIT A LITTLE BIT LONGER
*gives hugs*
No stress? :D
Or..
Fun stress? :D

"Court is now in session."
...I've been reading too much history to not picture this in a deep, ominous tone.

SuperBlackCat: Hello there luckycat. I am curious-could you give your experience with forum mafia in general, and how this may affect your play in Kingmaker? I do note an aggressive streak at times-what's the purpose of that?

Imp: Halloo, you! Hope stuffs haven't been that hard. :)
Anywhoo, would there be any changes towards how you'd play the game as scum-if the mechanics are shifted? Would there be any difference if Town?

TolyK: Will you really post more? As in, more, this time? :I Also I'd like to see your input: how do you differ a town-scummy tell from a scum-tell?

Jim:
Tiruin, on a scale from one to Shakespearean tragedy, how sad are you that there's no purpose to flavor besides fun?
This made me sadder than Hamlet. And by that, I mean BRING IT ON, FORTINBRAS. DENMARK WILL RULE THESE STRAITS. GET YOUR OWN LAWN.
And by that I mean it made me so sad I'm happy. Because:
1. Look what I did last The Lonely Prince. :(
2. Look at #1. :(
So I'm all happy its flavor.

Why do you ask?

PPE: Hnng, hi you all.

Imp
Tiruin:  How important is color to you?  To your character?
Very important actually. I have some sorta...affinity for colors that they intrigue me more than an abstract object-not that I live in a rainbow room anyways, its just that colors like the arts and musics have a...special preference in me. As for my character, she's a bit color blind but she likes color a lot, too.

Why do you ask?

King Cheetar: Hail to the Regency Council representative! Given that your word is yours and yours alone, the defining point of the day, how would you go about your matters in justifying who to vote for? How would you view scummy-tells as a generality?

Caz

They're all pretty sweet. I'd say Ansgar Danielsen's (Cheeetar) is my favourite, though it's a bit busy. The garlic on yours made me laugh. Is that to keep away the vampires?
...I don't see names attached to the shields in the second post. Where're you guys seeing this?

Vector
[...]then you might enjoy reading Ex Cathedra and The Lonely Prince, which are both linked in my sig.
I've never heard of this and o_o
Yay something more to read and reread!

Asking private questions about other people's flavor because you want to get an edge on them will make me terrifically grumpy.  This is not a good idea, because grumpy mod processes nights more slowly.  Happy mod is a faster writer.
*Tiruin shoves all the happies at Vector while trying to create a Machiavellian plan to do something and stuff~
Anyway, loved what you wrote. :)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32