Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"  (Read 138195 times)

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2014, 01:17:13 am »

Was playing with this bug in one of my forts today. Turned 60 brand new recruits of assorted melee weapons into 51 weaponmasters, and 8 cripples with spine or back injuries (most of the weaponmasters had broken arm or legs, but they'll heal) And 1 guy fell on his head and died. (dunno why, says his shattered skull was pushed through and tore his brain. But I haven't seen anyone else talk about losing dwarfs due to this)

Had a sudden stupid thought though. Does this work for crutch walkers? And someday when we can make our dorfs ride animals, will we be able to throw a dorf and his horse into one of these and have him come out as a master horsedwarf?

I am working on trying to get a tigerman to pick up anything, and get in a fight with him (so he'll hopefully get some experience in that, before I throw him in the pits and see what happens.

Anyone have any advice on how to get them to pick things up. Currently 8 of them I have are just milling around the room I put them in with food and some iron swords I want them to grab

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2014, 05:46:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Therapist shows exact XP numbers.

Awesome, thank you.

Now I'll have to admit I use Therapist like a filthy casual, though :c

Anyone have any advice on how to get them to pick things up. Currently 8 of them I have are just milling around the room I put them in with food and some iron swords I want them to grab

Because you can't control them directly, the only way you can get them to equip weapons is to have them wrestle them away from an enemy attacking them with one (either a goblin or one of your own dwarves). It will take a while, but is certainly possible; you can hear the occasional horror story of an ogre or giant desert scorpion killing people with their own trousers, for example. My suggestion would be to use goblins stripped of most of their gear; in an eight-on-one fight you aren't likely to loose many tigermen.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »

And 1 guy fell on his head and died. (dunno why, says his shattered skull was pushed through and tore his brain. But I haven't seen anyone else talk about losing dwarfs due to this)
Dumbass may have skipped wearing a helmet because there wasn't room for it over his cap.

Stop being a filthy casual and use DT like a normal DF player.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2014, 11:25:51 pm »

And 1 guy fell on his head and died. (dunno why, says his shattered skull was pushed through and tore his brain. But I haven't seen anyone else talk about losing dwarfs due to this)
Dumbass may have skipped wearing a helmet because there wasn't room for it over his cap.

Stop being a filthy casual and use DT like a normal DF player.

1 he was wearing... an iron cap? never built any, everyones got iron helms, aside from my ace squad who's been slowly getting steel armors (no flux embark) He perhaps got it off of a goblin, maybe? Dunno, I did only made the squad about 3 minutes before sending them to take the plunge.

2 lol

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2014, 05:59:48 am »

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Therapist shows exact XP numbers.

Awesome, thank you.

DT doesn't show skill levels accurately after Legendary+5. If you want to see precise data about skills, use DFHack in lua mode; the sequence of commands to do so is described here.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:44 am »

Okay, I've been selecting one dwarf to teach a squad his enlightened skills, and that's been going rather well actually, not too slow at all. But, on a different note, I dropped a dwarf slated to head my mace squad down the pit with a mace and a shield and I had an interesting thing happen...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is all that was left when I looked for the body

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't even know...It's like he got rejected by the gods and punished for his feeble attempts at gaining their blessing with eternal purgatory.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2014, 09:50:54 am »

This is all that was left when I looked for the body

The body is impaled on the spear. You can see this by looking at the building with "t". This feature is intended and has been around since upright spikes/spears were first implemented.

BlackScarPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2014, 07:48:43 am »

Posting to Watch.  This is fascinating, and I think I have to implement it in my next embark.  I also might snag this for a D&D campaign as part of dwarven culture.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2014, 08:30:27 am »

i've been using this to make flamethrowers. A silk farm replaced with an enlightened goblin and a dragon. an enlightened goblin will block all dragonfire, but the fire will still spread through the fortifications. i'm planning to use this on the HFS since dragonfire melts everything, but i'm having trouble controlling the spread.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2014, 02:29:45 pm »

Just catching up on this thread, but wow, talk about a surprising glitch!  I love that it was discovered due to the rampage of a suddenly powered-up goblin.

i've been using this to make flamethrowers. A silk farm replaced with an enlightened goblin and a dragon. an enlightened goblin will block all dragonfire, but the fire will still spread through the fortifications. i'm planning to use this on the HFS since dragonfire melts everything, but i'm having trouble controlling the spread.

Why not just let dragon sit by the fortifications without the goblin?  It will breathe fire on any hostiles it sees through them already.  I also recall reading somewhere that demons have fixed temperatures (like nethercap wood) and are thus immune to dragon fire :(.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:49:06 pm by VerdantSF »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:21 pm »

Also, pretty much anyone with a shield can block dragonfire regardless of mastery.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2014, 02:55:19 am »

I've used this in my current fort, my first test subject is a mace lord who is now decked out in nearly full steel gear, scary stuff. I actually used dfhack to take control of him and walked north where I found a kobold cave. Even if a strike on the head was "impossible", he still bashed the skull through the brain. I didn't even bother waiting for good strikes, I just aimed for the head and killed them 9/10 times in one shot. To be fair they were unarmoured kobolds against a steel mace, but surely an impossible hit shouldn't be that effective. It seems the enormous xp gain means they can't miss.

I was only messing about to see how effective he was but I ended up wandering down the cave for about an hour killing at least three dozen of the little buggers  :)
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2014, 08:57:25 pm »

a goblin pikeman accidentally made it out of my chamber enlightened. even when enlightened, it was no match for my hammerdwarf, who have probably 7 years of war time experience. Still I thought it would be a more even fight, given that they're likely equally skilled. instead, the hammerdwarf struck it several times before it died. I think it was too busy trying to flee to attack. alternatively, the many years of sparring gave my hammerdwarf ungodly attributes, unbelievable strong and extremely agile. I think those attributes enabled it to hit more frequently.

testing with another enlightened goblin in my crocodile pits was much different. it lost its weapon, but it managed to block every single attack with its shield, only dying when it passed out from exhaustion. It was a satisfying fight, so satisfying that i wish to entomb the goblin for its skill and courage.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:32 am »

Now this is a curious development. Had the chance to toy with it. My militia commander/champion went in with no hammer skill (being a marksdwarf) and an adequate shield user, came out a legendary hammerdwarf and shield user.

Seems like if the least cheaty way to exploit this, if you really care about such things, would be to use it on goblins for nigh-invincible crossbow targets. Given the brief bit of micromanaging I had to do to get him onto the retracting bridge...I found out it's best to dig a few squares beyond the drop point and flank both sides of the bridge with doors.

Order a single soldier to station at the end of the hall, forbid the doors when he's in place, then have at it. Also, I'm not sure a constructed floor would let you place a spike atop it, but digging an extra level down and filling that with a wall works fine.

Also, adamantine is good enough for the floor unless you have featherwood or candlenut, all the other woods actually have higher density.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2014, 08:29:53 am »

Also, adamantine is good enough for the floor unless you have featherwood or candlenut, all the other woods actually have higher density.
Cedar is also light enough that it doesn't punch through copper armor.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16