Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"  (Read 136171 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »

You can put spikes on a constructed floor.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2014, 10:25:00 pm »

Also, adamantine is good enough for the floor unless you have featherwood or candlenut, all the other woods actually have higher density.
Cedar is also light enough that it doesn't punch through copper armor.

Problem is that most of the woods are still denser than adamantine, so if you insist on the lightest flooring available...

Then again, cedar would be good enough, I think. Presumably avoid any wood denser than the average stone or metal and it'll be fine.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:05 pm »

I used candlenut in the one I constructed for both the flooring and the spears, what I've found is that from the 3z fall nothing happens on impact with floor, however, a facial impact on any of the spears in immediately and abruptly fatal. ==> Helmets a must.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:07 pm »

I used candlenut in the one I constructed for both the flooring and the spears, what I've found is that from the 3z fall nothing happens on impact with floor, however, a facial impact on any of the spears in immediately and abruptly fatal. ==> Helmets a must.

Limiting it to just the minimum 2z fall also helps some.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2014, 02:43:39 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6397

Binary patch mitigation is up!

This should allow you to kill enemies with spike pits without the risk of enlightening them. Only Toady can implement a complete fix to the problem.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »

What about a Miscellaneous Object User (eg: someone who tantrumed and got experience for throwing a pie at someone) who happens to be hauling a throwable object when he drops onto the Shaft of Enlightenment?

Does he become Legendary at Pie-Throwing?
Never pet a burning dog.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2014, 03:53:16 pm »

What about a Miscellaneous Object User (eg: someone who tantrumed and got experience for throwing a pie at someone) who happens to be hauling a throwable object when he drops onto the Shaft of Enlightenment?

I believe you only get experience in misc object user when directly hitting someone with the misc object, not throwing it at them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »

That's too bad. I was picturing Bonzo McDwarfy the Legendary Clown, who could take the head right off a Forgotten Beast with a short-crust pastry.
Never pet a burning dog.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2014, 11:23:02 pm »

Sadly Throwing isn't a viable skill to train with this bug. It should train the Miscellaneous Object User skill though, so they can beat goblins to death with a pie instead of throwing it. o3o

Only problem is whether the game considers a hauled item to be wielded. If you check a hauling dwarf's inventory, it says the item is "hauled" where it would normally state what equipment slot an item would be in. This implies that the game treats hauling differently, so it might screw up abusing this bug.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2014, 06:29:10 am »

No. Neither Shaft of Enlightenment nor danger rooms train Misc. Object User or any of the ranged weapon skills. Those skills aren't used for parrying.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

I embarked with some complete sets of copper armor (leggings, breastplate, helmet, boots, etc.) and dropped my militia commander out of a hatch onto a 10-spear trap while wearing a full set of copper armor.  He came out legendary fighter, hammerdwarf, and shield user.  He was not injured, only stunned, possibly because it was a 2-Z drop onto a soft soil floor.  The copper armor blocked all of the spear attacks (one of the spear attacks was blocked by clothing under the armor).

Another thing I theorize may help avoid unintentional injury is I used a hatch instead of a retracting bridge.  Retracting bridges fling whatever is on them, which might make the fall worse.  A hatch is harder to get the Dwarf to stand on, but doesn't fling him.  To get him to stand on the hatch, I built a medium length 1 tile wide corridor with a hatch in the middle and doors immediately adjacent on either side of the hatch.  (When I tried this without the doors to lock him in, he simply moved over when the hatch opened instead of falling.)

I wanted the militia commander to be in a squad / on duty to ensure he'd be properly armored.  However you can't station a squad on an exact square, he'll only go somewhere close by.  So I alternately assigned him to move to a station on one side or the other of the corridor until I managed to catch him in transition between the two doors, which I locked just as he was passing the hatch.  Then I had someone pull a lever to open the hatch.  I think this could be automated by making a squad patrol through a corridor on a loop and have hatch(es) open and close randomly on a repeater.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »

Can't you assign him to an off-duty squad that is set to wear armor even when off duty, then set a lever to be pulled only by him, positioned so that he can ONLY stand on the hatch while pulling it, with a door to prevent him from leaving before the hatch opens?
Never pet a burning dog.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2014, 07:15:42 pm »

The best way to keep him standing on a specific square is via the following arrangement:

Code: [Select]
=====  D = Door
DHDA|  H = Hatch
=====  A = Armor/Weapon Stand

With that setup, you lock the second door, set the commander's squad to train at the armor/weapon stand, and wait. The commander will walk right on top of the hatch and stop. I used this trick (to my eternal shame, may Armok smite me) to keep an entire squad standing on a spear trap in my most successful fort until they were all legendary+++++ in every relevant fighting skill.

My duchess wields an iron whip. Her name is Boot Ironstandards. She has single-handedly slaughtered many elves.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2014, 07:39:52 pm »

Can't you assign him to an off-duty squad that is set to wear armor even when off duty, then set a lever to be pulled only by him, positioned so that he can ONLY stand on the hatch while pulling it, with a door to prevent him from leaving before the hatch opens?

Hatch opens instantly, so he will be left standing on the solid ground under the lever. Can't place levers on the same tile as a hatch. Must be standing on the lever's tile to pull it.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2014, 08:21:52 pm »

I think this could be automated by making a squad patrol through a corridor on a loop and have hatch(es) open and close randomly on a repeater.
There's an easier way. Already posted the design earlier in this thread:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWW
.^#DAW
WWWWWW

W - wall
. - floor
^ - pressure plate set to trigger on civilians with dwarven weight, connected to the grate
# - grate over a three-z-level fall with 10 wooden training spears at the bottom
D - door, locked, external
A - armor stand, set as barracks with the edge of the room covering either the grate or the door
The dwarf goes to the barracks, triggers the plate, then steps onto the grate. The grate has a 40-tick delay, so 30-ish ticks later it retracts and the dwarf falls down the Shaft. The grate closes 100 ticks later, the dwarf stands up and comes back for round 2, falls again... you get the idea. Fully automatic.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:24:43 pm by HmH »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16