Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"  (Read 138349 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Upright spear causes instant badassery, probable glitch
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »

It's still worth doing the science in order to understand the glitch as well as possible. If I understand this glitch properly, danger rooms are better for making supersoldiers, anyway, since they train more skills and create much less risk of injury.

Safer doesn't exactly mean better. And I'd wager that danger rooms can't spike a dwarf from rank 0 to rank 89 instantaneously. :P
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2013, 09:31:37 pm »

It's the perfect way to train doctors up too! not only do you level up your soldiers, but medical staff can get training on the injuries they sustain!

(And coffin building every now and then)
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2013, 09:41:42 pm »

It's still worth doing the science in order to understand the glitch as well as possible. If I understand this glitch properly, danger rooms are better for making supersoldiers, anyway, since they train more skills and create much less risk of injury.

Safer doesn't exactly mean better. And I'd wager that danger rooms can't spike a dwarf from rank 0 to rank 89 instantaneously. :P

True enough, but I doubt you'll see much difference between a level 20 soldier and a level 89 soldier unless you can find some level 20 enemies. A soldier who is "only" legendary in the key combat skills will slaughter anything in the game, at it is. The only exception is things with horrific syndrome attacks, but those would kill a level 89 just as easily.

I never really meant to start an argument about what exploit is exploitier, though. I just wanted to say it's still worth checking whether a dwarf that falls on more than one spear gains proportionally more experience--because it's interesting science, not because it's of practical benefit.

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2013, 11:06:18 pm »

This thread is glorious. I luv it.

Image request made:

What if you set it up so if a dwarf dodged after falling then they'd fall down another shaft and get impaled again, for more fun?
Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2013, 11:19:50 pm »

This thread is glorious. I luv it.

Image request made:

What if you set it up so if a dwarf dodged after falling then they'd fall down another shaft and get impaled again, for more fun?
Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ye gods, repeating spear traps and amazing skill gains.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2013, 11:42:31 pm »

not sure if anyone reported this already, but i can confirm that this kind of training does not increase attributes. after checking the attributes pre and post fall, the stats of the soldier in question remained the same.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2013, 01:26:43 am »

So, test subjects are trying to parry the ground?

Yes, probably. Someone needs to draw/make a comic of this...

It's all very epic. Jump off a tower towards a spike pit, and at the last moment attempt to parry the planet.
Maybe this will do.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shoep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2013, 07:05:06 am »

What's the best way to drop your dwarves onto the upright spears from 2 Z levels high? I'm not sure how i would go about ordering a dwarf to jump into a hole in the ground or something. I have a dwarven child who just turned adult in my militia who bravely volunteered himself.. I wouldn't want to disappoint him!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2013, 07:33:29 am »

i order my dwarfs onto a retracting bridge then pull the lever.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2013, 09:37:21 am »

Make a one-tile burrow above a hatch, order the burrow to be protected?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shoep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2013, 11:49:37 am »

Aand it works! I now have a thirteen year old legendary axe user, shield user and fighter.. This old chum has a glorious future waiting for him!

Thanks everyone :o

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »

[edited reply; misread some bits of the conversation]

Best guess:

For this specific situation, it looks like garbage data from the stack is being used as experience input. The experience is awarded before the game even looks at the upright spears/spikes, being caused by the ground collision.
Out of curiosity, what happens if there are no upright spears where the creature falls down? If the experience gain only happens when upright spears are present, then it stands to reason that the game is simply printing the combat messages after the attacks are completed, and that it's those spear attacks that are using bogus "skill" levels, not the collision with the ground.

Turns out this does not work with any other kind of trap. Aka: Boulder traps (just gets crushed after landing), cage traps (captured), and I did not test weapon traps.
Boulder traps and weapon traps always derive their "skill level" from the quality of their mechanism.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:38:47 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2013, 05:35:25 pm »

Upright weapon traps don't needs any mechanisms to make though, so i'm not sure if that's the case.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2013, 05:57:42 pm »

Upright weapon traps don't needs any mechanisms to make though, so i'm not sure if that's the case.

*claps*

It was an artifact spear, so since it doesn't derive skill from mechanisms, it takes it's 'skill' from the quality. So the spear is providing a very high skill attack which (probably due to falling or crap materials) is always blocked/parried. Since they blocked/parried such a high skill attack they gain lots of levels!

Or so I assume, I could be entirely wrong. I do however believe this is the most probable case.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2013, 06:05:32 pm »

Nit only did they get the skill launch before the spear attacks, but it also works fine with non-artifacts.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16