Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"  (Read 136175 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:45 pm »

Or enlighten the goblins to make for a more interesting late game.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2014, 09:35:33 pm »

Has anyone checked to see if the absolute Z-Level you land on makes any difference?  If you build your shaft 50 Z levels down from another one, does it make any difference?
50z levels would create too much enlightenment in too sort timespan and the enlightend would explode.

I was thinking starting on Z-Level 50 and ending on Z-Level 52 as opposed to starting Z-Level 100 and ending Z-Level 50.  I was trying to think of possible places that the game could be getting these outrageous XP numbers from.

What is the standard amount of XP gain for parrying or blocking?

PS: Does anyone know how the game tracks how fast a dwarf is falling (or how high he has fallen from)?  Is there some sort of speed variable, or does it store the starting Z-Level somewhere?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:39:11 pm by Zanthra »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:50 pm »

What is the standard amount of XP gain for parrying or blocking?

PS: Does anyone know how the game tracks how fast a dwarf is falling (or how high he has fallen from)?  Is there some sort of speed variable, or does it store the starting Z-Level somewhere?

30?

"New" parabolic projectiles, such as minecarts or creatures, store 3D positions and velocities at finer-than-one-tile levels of detail.

The old projectile system kept track of the start and end points.

I don't think it uses the falling velocity to directly calculate the massive xp, especially since falling 4 z-levels doesn't give xp.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2014, 02:14:50 pm »

Did some more tests with that bug to determine whether there is a hard level cap in DF. Encountered two new bugs that are probably related to the original one.

Summary:
1) Experience is capped at level 3000(Legendary+2985, X/300500 in Adventure Mode). Gaining experience beyond that level does not yield any significant benefits.

2) In case of extreme(500 or something like that) level differences between the weapon skills of two fighting parties, the party with lower weapon skill level receives thousands of XP every time they are hit by the more experienced party; that skill increase does not seem to increase their attributes.
This effect is possible to replicate in Adventure Mode: the human vampire adventurer mentioned above was able to raise bandits to Legendary levels in just a few hits. Punching and biting them instead did not cause XP gain, which means that this effect does not depend solely on the Fighter skill.

3) Performing attacks against a shield-wielding enemy with enormously high Shield User skill will grant the attacker thousands of experience points per hit, even when their attacks are blocked. Unlike the Shaft of Enlightenment, this can be used to raise Striker, Biter, Kicker, Wrestler, and Misc. Object User skills. It does not apply to ranged combat, however. XP gained from this effect does not increase one's attributes.
If you intend to exploit this bug in adventure mode, you are heavily advised to put armor on before you go against such a foe: anyone trained at the Shaft has an extremely high Fighter skill, which allows them to bypass your(comparatively low) Shield User skill with no effort whatsoever.
One of the ways to exploit it in Fortress Mode would be to train one of your dwarves in a Shaft of Enlightenment, then make sure they are sentenced to a beating. They would block every hit landed on them, giving the sheriff thousands of XP per hit; even with a mere 10 punches, the sheriff would become a Legendary Striker by the time they're done "punishing" the offender. UPD: Tested this, didn't work: the offender's Shield User skill wasn't even used; apparently, you can't block justice itself. The sheriff has beaten the "criminal" to death and walked away with no significant skill gain.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:31:26 am by HmH »

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2014, 04:23:30 pm »

That's really good info to have. Thank you, kind sir!
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2014, 04:37:05 pm »

What about somebody sparring with a squad mate who has been "enlightened"?  Do they gain thousands of XP per strike/block to/from the mega-legendary?  If this is so, you'd only need to "enlighten" a handful of dwarfs to minimize spine breaking, then use them as sparring partners for other squads.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »

What about somebody sparring with a squad mate who has been "enlightened"?  Do they gain thousands of XP per strike/block to/from the mega-legendary?  If this is so, you'd only need to "enlighten" a handful of dwarfs to minimize spine breaking, then use them as sparring partners for other squads.
They gain thousands of XP when sparring, yes, but that isn't nearly as useful as it sounds because there is no attribute gain. Because of that, danger rooms are a better choice than this particular bug. The only situation where sparring-practice-with-an-Enlightened could be a better choice is if you're looking for a quick way to train your wrestlers and crutch-fighters.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:50:31 pm by HmH »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2014, 05:26:42 pm »

If you had them develop the skill set first, (high exp) through training with the "enlightened master", before putting them in the danger room hall of trials, then they should theoretically develop the attributes, while effortlessly parrying and dodgeing the enemy attacks.

You could pit 1 sparring trained legendary in a pit with 20 captured (but unarmed) goblins, and walk away.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2014, 05:45:02 pm »

This is very helpful, HmH.  If I understand the data correctly this has relevance to anti-exploit forts also.
My conclusion is that fresh recruits benefit a lot from sparring with legendary warriors.  Which means making the best fighters the squad leaders is actually part of the game mechanics and is better than making a squad of all recruits.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:14 pm »

This is very helpful, HmH.  If I understand the data correctly this has relevance to anti-exploit forts also.
My conclusion is that fresh recruits benefit a lot from sparring with legendary warriors.  Which means making the best fighters the squad leaders is actually part of the game mechanics and is better than making a squad of all recruits.
Not just legendary warriors: ridiculously legendary warriors, level 500 skill or so. I didn't test it, but I'm pretty sure this bug does not apply to a mere level 15 skill.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:49 pm »

Not just legendary warriors: ridiculously legendary warriors, level 500 skill or so. I didn't test it, but I'm pretty sure this bug does not apply to a mere level 15 skill.

I'm pretty sure his (reasonable) assumption was your experiment indicates XP gain is proportional to the skill of the opponent. That would mean it's a good idea to have your recruits sparring with your best soldiers, even if you don't want to use exploity supersoldiers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2014, 11:21:41 pm »

That's what I thought as well.

That makes a great deal of sense then, that "glitch trained omega soldiers" training with greenhorns will produce insane xp gains in the greenhorns.

If you approach it from the perspective that a fixed percentage increase per level difference, intended to apply when Urist McTrainer and Urist McGreenhorn are only apart by maybe 5 levels, then to have a rate improvement worth including, the rate needs to be kinda high.

Extrapolating that out into never never land reveals the impact of using an exponential curve.

10% of 5000xp, is 500xp.

10% of 50xp is 5xp.

Both are 10%.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2014, 11:27:40 pm »

That's what I thought as well.

That makes a great deal of sense then, that "glitch trained omega soldiers" training with greenhorns will produce insane xp gains in the greenhorns.

If you approach it from the perspective that a fixed percentage increase per level difference, intended to apply when Urist McTrainer and Urist McGreenhorn are only apart by maybe 5 levels, then to have a rate improvement worth including, the rate needs to be kinda high.

Extrapolating that out into never never land reveals the impact of using an exponential curve.

10% of 5000xp, is 500xp.

10% of 50xp is 5xp.

Both are 10%.

I'm sorry, but the math nazi in me regrets to inform you that that isn't an exponential curve. The equation is y=.1x. It's linear.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2014, 11:33:04 pm »

Yeah.. now I think about it.

I blame getting 1hr sleep last night.
("Uni", cat-Tame has adopted Weird Joykill)
("Uni"- cat-Tame has started yowling!)
(Wierd Joykill tries desperately to sleep!)
(The unbelievably relentless yowling penetrates the pressedwood door, striking weird joykill in the brain through the wadded pillow!)
(Weird Joykill has gone stark raving mad!)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2014, 11:35:36 pm »

I suppose I also could have said "these aren't the curves you're looking for."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16