Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"  (Read 136156 times)

shifty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »

I about peed my pants reading this thread at work. A suddenly master swordsgoblin rolling through the wilderness at lightning speed grabbing bolts out of the air? Dwarfs parrying the planet?

I am enlightened.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2014, 08:56:00 pm »

So according to another current thread if you make the ground tile out of feather wood or candy your dwarfs are much less likely to get badly maimed by the ground when falling.
What thread? Care to link?
See also here, which is here.

The damage done by falling on the ground is simulated by creating a temporary large cube of the floor material. This cube then beats the victim several times on random body parts. More or less - that is the best analogy to the implementation in the code. The floor material does matter with respect to creatures that are strong or weak vs. specific materials. If you have a werewolf that is hurt more by silver weapons, it will take more damage falling on a silver floor (but not native silver floors!).

You do not want to fall on slade floors.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2014, 09:02:54 pm »

In advent mode, in happy fun place,  i fought a demon that breathed frozen extract. Didn't seem to hurt me much, but it flung me up into the air- even a 1 z level drop broke multiple bones through adamantine armor.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:23 am »

So this gives us a real use for slade and heavy materials. I shall make my floors/walls out of them in areas where creatures are being put.

Can I just check... Will constructed floors be used for the equation or will it take the underlying floor material? Any idea Urist Da Vinci?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2014, 10:05:01 am »

So this gives us a real use for slade and heavy materials. I shall make my floors/walls out of them in areas where creatures are being put.

Can I just check... Will constructed floors be used for the equation or will it take the underlying floor material? Any idea Urist Da Vinci?

Constructions (i.e. floors) count as changing the floor material. Plate the bottom of your falling-based death traps with gold/platinum floors before building any traps!

Buildings (i.e. anything not removed with "remove construction") don't change the floor material.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2014, 11:15:59 am »

Constructions (i.e. floors) count as changing the floor material. Plate the bottom of your falling-based death traps with gold/platinum floors before building any traps!

Buildings (i.e. anything not removed with "remove construction") don't change the floor material.

Thank you for this information! Thanks a lot!

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »

This new data about floor material is quite helpful!  An adamantine floor makes THE SHAFT even more epic now.

In advent mode, in happy fun place,  i fought a demon that breathed frozen extract. Didn't seem to hurt me much, but it flung me up into the air- even a 1 z level drop broke multiple bones through adamantine armor.
One thing I learned from the armor SCIENCE thread is that adamantine doesn't do a very good job against impact damage.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:02 pm »

So, is it better to use dense flooring, or soft flooring for our shafts of enlightenment? Does it cause any different xp gains for blocking a denser floor?
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2014, 01:38:13 pm »

For shaft of enlightenment, you want featherwood floors. Probably a featherwood spear as well-- Even with the radically reduced density, the spear is moving orders of magnitude faster than a dwarf can move it-- You will STILL have the big XP bonus.

For killing the green skinned menace, you want the densest material possible. Gold, Platinum, or Slade. I forget if spears are blunt or edge weapons-- But choose the appropriate material type for the attack type.  Weapon traps swing fast *always*, so platinum giant axe blades and pals are golden.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2014, 02:11:23 pm »

Gracias! You have spared many dwarven bodies this day sir.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2014, 04:00:06 pm »

I think in the spirit of things you probably want to use as dense floors as possible... The dwarfs should be injured as much as possible to justify their exp gain :P

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2014, 01:44:36 am »

A little late to the party, but on the note of illustrating your dorf parrying the earth.

8Bit Theater 1170 -
"The way I figure it, the fall doesn't kill you. The ground does. So I blocked it."

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2014, 07:06:54 pm »

I want to do some Fortress mode testing on the differences between legendary +5 fighters and legendary +50 fighters, and to that end I'd like to know what kind of third-party tools I can use to see the exact skill level of my dwarves (seeing as there isn't a difference between fresh legendary and a glitched legendary dwarf in the skills screen). Any suggestions?

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2014, 07:59:41 pm »

Father Fouras says: "It's not the gameplay, the hilariousness of the randomly generated names, nor the emergent stories that make Dwarf Fortress such a marvelous thing. No. It's the bugs!"
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34:19 pm »

I want to do some Fortress mode testing on the differences between legendary +5 fighters and legendary +50 fighters, and to that end I'd like to know what kind of third-party tools I can use to see the exact skill level of my dwarves (seeing as there isn't a difference between fresh legendary and a glitched legendary dwarf in the skills screen). Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Therapist shows exact XP numbers.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16