Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"  (Read 136170 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Re: Upright spear glitch aka "Shaft of Enlightenment"
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2014, 07:55:07 am »

Why not just have multiple hatches in a corridor? If you make it 5-6 tiles wide then it is trivial to station units on it. Not that difficult to have a 6x1 shaft onto 6 spear traps.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:47 am »

Wouldn't this work?
Code: [Select]
########   H = Hatch
...HOO.#   . = Floor
########   O = Constructed wall

Dig three tiles beyond the hatch, then build the two constructed walls.  Station a squad on the unreachable tile at the end of the corridor.  The dwarves in the squad will choose a reachable tile within a radius of 3 from the station point, and the only reachable tile which qualifies is the Hatch.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2014, 08:20:53 am »

The Shaft of Enlightenment?
Is this thread some kind of dick joke?
Regards,
Dampe

Ghoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2014, 08:24:27 am »

-_-

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:16 am »

We're giving the world itself a huge wooden strap-on and forcing dwarves to defend themselves against its overwhelmingly powerful thrusts.
I'm sure that at this level of magnitude, whatever we're doing to the test subjects goes beyond the realm of dick jokes and becomes a dildo-assisted atrocity.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:05:06 am by HmH »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2014, 01:07:01 pm »

We're giving the world itself a huge wooden strap-on and forcing dwarves to defend themselves against its overwhelmingly powerful thrusts.
I'm sure that at this level of magnitude, whatever we're doing to the test subjects goes beyond the realm of dick jokes and becomes a dildo-assisted atrocity.

Don't do this to me when I'm at work. Loud embarassed giggle-cackling tends to upset bosses and notify superiors that I'm not actually transcribing videos.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:07 am »

Minor update: the exploit still works in .40.01.

TheStratovarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2014, 02:21:34 am »

Does falling into water with the spear trap change either the damage to less, or not trigger this odd aspect? like a 7/7 deal.

3 high, water spear trap at the 1 height, 7/7 dwarf is falling 3 squares, but does the swimming aspect let him step out without the same injury?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2014, 06:07:56 pm »

Unfortunately, that means that falling traps with spikes on the bottom less than 10z high are useless/a huge danger to the fort depending on altitude. :(

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:57 pm »

Unfortunately, that means that falling traps with spikes on the bottom less than 10z high are useless/a huge danger to the fort depending on altitude. :(

Just put cage traps in the bottom. Any stunned creature will be caught, and most creatures will be caught anyway. Live goblins are really useful for tragedy training: visible sentient death gives ranks in Discipline and hardens your dwarves to tragedy, no matter how you do it. My personal favorite style is public butchery in the dining hall, although it's less controlled than a 15-z fall into the same room.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2015, 03:15:16 pm »

It seems that toady 1 has finally fixed this.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2015, 03:38:59 pm »

I saw that in the patch notes also.  Awaiting SCIENCE for confirmation.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2015, 12:48:41 am »

I get the distinct impression that you can still use the shaft to enlighten your dwarfs, but it won't be an instantaneous jump to Legendary +85. Instead it'll be the max XP you'd normally earn from an action. With the risk of greatly injuring your dwarfs by repeated drops onto the shaft, you could still turn out a Legendary (+0) dwarf faster than any other danger room, with the right mechanical set up.

I've always been okay with certain exploits but not others. Atom smashing water (or anything really) for a nearly perfect repeater just seemed like too much suspension of disbelief. Does anyone know if a level set to repeat "Pull the lever" and "Do it now" priority cause a dwarf to stand there until either exhaustion or hunger? My goal is to have dwarfs march up the stairs and fall the minimum z-level onto the lightest wooden paved floor, with the lightest wooden training spears, while wearing the strongest metal armor possible; all season.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2015, 04:44:13 am »

Does anyone know if a level set to repeat "Pull the lever" and "Do it now" priority cause a dwarf to stand there until either exhaustion or hunger?
I've used that combination recently, while trying to pin a dwarf to a spot as a prelude to knocking him into a cage trap for science purposes. They don't stick on the exact tile unless you assign them to a one-tile burrow at the instant they are there. Normally they pull the lever, walk away a few steps, go back pull again, walk away ...

Incidentally, I'm finding the uses of burrows to be rather patchy. Sometimes dwarves seems to ignore them entirely, sometimes they will 'freeze' if assigned to a burrow they are outside. Is that just me? :/
()==[:::::::::::::>

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2015, 02:19:56 pm »

I saw that in the patch notes also.  Awaiting SCIENCE for confirmation.
Just tested it. Confirmed: the exploit no longer works.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16