Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: UnholinessSparked - Let's Play Orc Fortress (rebalanced)  (Read 12730 times)

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnholinessSparked - Let's Play Orc Fortress (rebalanced)
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 07:00:39 am »

I understand that we love to face our enemy and butcher them, but maybe just maybe we can watch a few of them die from simple traps and kill their brethren with their own armors and weaponry.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 08:51:50 am »

I understand that we love to face our enemy and butcher them, but maybe just maybe we can watch a few of them die from simple traps and kill their brethren with their own armors and weaponry.

And why don't we all grow beards and catch diseases while we're at it!

Ah, Zeus, always the clan joker... ;)

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:44 am »

17th Moonstone, 101, Early Winter

It all began with Addie MenacedCluster reporting that great dingoes had been spotted out in the woods. This truly seems to be a land of giants, and these beastsare no exception:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Given what happened the last time warlock merchants were in camp, I feel justified in being very cautious about the approach of any wild animal. Our front-line squads are put on high alert, and not a moment too soon, as while the dingoes keep their distance, a much more terrifying threat appears:

Forest nymphs, moving with uncanny speed, and straight towards the trading depot. While no threat by themselves, they're more than an excuse for the warlocks to unlock madness once more upon our home.

They tear straight past our militia, but there is one orc that stands between them and the depot... Mahrgell OceanicUnspeakable, Miner and BowOrc of UnholinessSparked. The first nymph runs straight towards him:

Mahrgell steps in the way, raises his bow, and... uh...

The nymph frees herself, and heads straight past the traders. By this time our militia are closing in, but the warlocks and their pets have already spotted her. The madness seems inevitable as drowspiders start spraying webs everywhere:

CptCrunchy once again shows why he's captain of our most elite bowsquad—The Hairy Poisons—efficiently taking down the nymph with arrow and bow:

But it's too late. The guards that protect the orcish trading caravans have been webbed, and are unable to dodge whatever hellish incantations the warlocks have invoked:

CptCrunchy downs a second nymph with the help of a caravan guard:

My heart sinks as the warlocks continue to blanket the area in their destructive magicks; but at least nothing is on fire, and we have no serious injuries...

Oh wait, the caravan guard...

Moments later, all three nymphs are down, along with a few of the merchants...

As the flames continue to lick the trade depot, some of the animals break free from their cages and escape:

During the confusion, one of the giant dingoes must have ventured too close, as CptCrunchy's arrow cuts deep into its leg, dropping the beast:

The depot is going to be on fire for a while, and it's unlikely the warlocks can do any more damage. The front-line squads are directed to finish off the injured dingo and its lone healthy companion.

Despite the anticipation of combat, our morale is low from the third trade-depot fire in two seasons.  But then, something incredible happens.

All heads turn to see Jaxy emerging from below... He's wearing a platinum wolf mask, has decorated his throat in war-paint, and is absolutely buzzed on sugar. It would appear that he's consumed a whole bag of the stuff:

Caring not for bow nor weapon, Jaxy bellows a defiant challenge, and charges straight at the uninjured dingo. A giant of a beast, it towers over him, but we all know what is going on. It is the way of our people to fight against insurmountable odds, to prove ourselves by looking death in the eye, to never show fear. It why the Taiga Orcs may be scattered, but we will never be broken.

Jaxy is showing us what it means to be truly brave. It brings honour upon us all to have such as Jaxy in our clan.

Jaxy ducks and weaves, and the thud of the giant's missed blows can be felt through the ground. But it is not long before Jaxy sustains his first injury:

Ah, to have one's blood shed on the field of battle! It is the dream of all Taiga Orcs, and the most assured way to obtain that greatest of honours—for one's soul to pass from this realm and into the Fields of the Fallen, where one may fight and drink with the other great warriors of the land.

Jaxy's dodging skills are incredible, but the great beast lurches and grabs him by the leg:

Time slows as we all turn to watch the fight. Even those still in camp can feel the thrill of battle calling to them, and listen in wonder to the great roars that emminates from the snowy trees. A moment later we see Jaxy's true glory. Blood, deep crimson on the freshly fallen snow, his leg crushed mercilessly in the jaws of his foe; but Jaxy's spirit is strong, and he delivers a mighty blow to his assailant:

Despite horrific injuries and incredible odds, not once does Jaxy flinch. Not once does he turn away:

Dominated by Jaxy's ferocity and will, the beast loses its confidence and turns to flee:

Jaxy has turned pale from loss of blood, but his honour and bravery are unmistakeable, and his mood is fit for the occasion:

Moments later, Jaxy's greatest wish is fulfilled. His soul begins its journey to the Fields of Battle. A deafening roar of celebration errupts throughout the camp, echoing from the distant mountains and reverberating in the valleys. The giant dingo that helped to guide his journey is dubbed Grithakpushara—CobaltFellowships—in honour.

Energised by the Great Fight, and already annointed in the blood of Grithakpushara's fallen compansion, Gief, GnarFengYur, Theog, and CptCrunchy prove their glory in battle once more, though none can match that of Jaxy today.

The beast's great skull shall be mounted in Jaxy's tomb, so they may both continue to fight with honour upon the Fields of Battle.

This is a glorious moment, and it has done much to lift our spirits after the incident with the traders. Jaxy shall be forever remembered and celebrated as the First Fallen of UnholinessSparked.

As we return from the battlefield with Jaxy's hallowed remains, there is another commotion around the smelter. The stars themselves must indeed smile upon Jaxy's bravery today, for this is surely an omen that the return The Great Hunt is close at hand!

But first, we shall honour Grithakpushara's flesh in a feast to celebrate the First Fallen!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2014, 11:59:02 am »

You should totally have cooked meals using the dingo's meat and some sugar.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 01:52:14 pm »

Oh Marhgrell, and I thought I was the fortress pervert.

RIP Jaxy
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 04:36:16 pm »

There are bad omens my friends. Bad omens.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 07:11:24 pm »

Oh Marhgrell, and I thought I was the fortress pervert.

RIP Jaxy
I usually can read emotions very well and felt this was exactly the right moment to make my move. Needed some change from the orc ladies.
Sadly it seems like nymphs don't tick the same way as our ladies... Gonna have to make some more studies on the topic.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »

Gonna have to make some more studies on the topic.
Well, there are plenty of nymph corpses around for you to 'study' if ya know what I mean
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:40 pm »

You are trying hard to get back the fortress pervert title... Well, not sure if it is still called pervert in that case...

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 06:07:11 pm »

Bump.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:26 pm »

Bump.

Aww, thank you. I haven't forgotten about UnholinessSparked. In fact, yesterday I used the stories thus far as sample content to test site designs.

I hope to get another update out tonight, although it being 44°C/110°F in Australia has me not wanting to do much of anything. :)

~ T

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 10:19:33 pm »

Magic, we need our own magic. We need to show the warlock how to actually handle magic. MAGIC!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]