Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: [ORC] The Proud Orcish Rebalance  (Read 22348 times)

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ORC] The Proud Orcish Rebalance
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »

I'm really enjoying this so far, I approve of all the changes to it.  Although this fort will probably die out due to me forgetting about the changes made to raiding, I triggered a drowen siege that was led by a shadowsniper who oneshot my Uruk Ronin militia captain and the rest of his squad (one shot to the torso each).  Somehow a miner pierced his skull, so the rest of the siegers left.  I now have 2 orcs left alive, both unable to walk and bleeding out.  Holding on for a migrant wave.   The raiding changes definitely make for great !FUN!
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2014, 10:03:52 pm »

I'm really enjoying this so far, I approve of all the changes to it.  Although this fort will probably die out due to me forgetting about the changes made to raiding, I triggered a drowen siege that was led by a shadowsniper who oneshot my Uruk Ronin militia captain and the rest of his squad (one shot to the torso each).  Somehow a miner pierced his skull, so the rest of the siegers left.  I now have 2 orcs left alive, both unable to walk and bleeding out.  Holding on for a migrant wave.   The raiding changes definitely make for great !FUN!

Thank you so much for the feedback, and I'm glad the raiding is more interesting! Did they retaliate on the first raid you made, or did it take a little while?

That sounds like a badass shadowsniper. What were your orcs clad in?

I'm very aware that orcs (and maybe Warlocks, as traditional trade partners) need an intermediate enemy, since humans/drow/elves/dwarves all have access to steel, and orcs have neither hill orcs (rusty steel) nor goblins (rusty iron) to fight against. I don't know if it's just me, or if the game doesn't show them, but the other races (antmen, batmen, gremlins, and very often automatons) don't seem to survive worldgen for me.

Options could be nerfing elves (to have ironwood instead of mithril), modifying another race, or adding a new one. Ideas and feedback are definitely appreciated, although any changes will need to be run by Meph as well, since they'd likely be world-altering.

One thing I'd *love* to do is code my own ambushes and sieges. That way I can have enemies follow you back and arrive at the drydock itself (which also means it makes more sense to collect a band of warriors as a raiding party), but it also means I can spawn existing races but with less badass equipment.  (Eg: raiding human villages results in the local militia arriving, who have makeshift equipment, whereas raiding human cities results in full-on human sieges with steel armour and cannon.)

I haven't checked how Meph does the colosseum code to spawn hostile enemies; I seem to recall it's a spawn-and-transform arrangement. However I'm *sure* there's an enemy-bit somewhere that I can access via DFHack, so it may be possible to make a script that spawns hostiles directly.

Many thanks again!

~ T

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:15 pm »

This was the second raid I had done, first one was a successful raid on humans. My orcs were clad in copper, since this fort was less than a year old (sadly, no migrants arrived in time).  It served me right for raiding before I got a real military up lol.  It would be awesome if you could code in custom sieges.  I play orcs as a much more combat-oriented fort than dorfs, so having to wait until they can take on enemies in bloodsteel/mithril/wolframite gets kind of annoying.

I do have one question about orc mode that I couldn't find an answer to in the manual. What building do you make ironbone and bloodsteel bars in?  I could make weapons straight from the ingredients in the tribal wargear just fine, but there some of the religion buildings need bars.

Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »

I do have one question about orc mode that I couldn't find an answer to in the manual. What building do you make ironbone and bloodsteel bars in?  I could make weapons straight from the ingredients in the tribal wargear just fine, but there some of the religion buildings need bars.

They're in the bonecarver's workshop... which is not intuitive.  Up until a recent change they didn't even use the bonecarving labour, which kept throwing me.

I'm planning on moving that to the totem pole, and change the totem requirement to be a log + totem.  Actually, if you're planning to start a new fort, I'll go do that now.

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:27 pm »

Ironbone and bloodsteel are now at the totem pole, and require the strand extraction (priest/shaman) labour. Totem requires a totem and a log.  Updated in orc_rebalance, SWP-beta, and SWP-alpha.

~ T

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2014, 11:23:28 pm »

Maybe they should get their own place besides the totem pole? A kind of tribal forge of sorts? The Bonesmelter maybe?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:29 pm »

Maybe they should get their own place besides the totem pole? A kind of tribal forge of sorts? The Bonesmelter maybe?

I agree entirely, and I love the name 'Bonesmelter'. We could move the reactions for extracting blood, burning things to ash, and forging ironbone and bloodsteel here. We can add "form anvil from (ironbone/bloodsteel)" while we're add it.

The gotcha is, I'm terrible with building design. So while I can do all the raw modifications, I'm likely to spin my wheels a lot trying to make a workshop that looks good. I think a 3x3 design to be the same size as regular smelters/forges would be good, and I'd suggest it may require an anvil, totem(s), and firesafe buildmat, but I'm totally open to other suggestions and visions.  (That's my way of saying that contributions here are very welcome!)

~ T

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2014, 12:20:31 am »

um... if you can toss me a mac compatible designer for a building with the phobeus graphic set built in maybe I could bash something together?

Do we want two versions? One magma powered and the other normal or something else?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2068 perhaps this? Does it work on mac?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:56:11 am by shadowclasper »

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2014, 01:17:49 am »

So I've just updated the manual. I've almost certainly missed things, but it should be much more relevant than the past one. It's downloadable via all the usual places (beta, alpha, orc_rebalance).

Personally, I think the manual should be on-line and community editable, because people shouldn't have to learn git and html to contribute. Let me see what I can do about that.

um... if you can toss me a mac compatible designer for a building with the phobeus graphic set built in maybe I could bash something together?

Do we want two versions? One magma powered and the other normal or something else?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2068 perhaps this? Does it work on mac?

Magma and regular would be great. Thank you! :)

As for software, I've not used any building design software before, so I don't have any recommendations. But if you find something good, I'd love to hear of it. (Especially if it runs on Linux!)

On the topic of Macs, how have you found running the Settings GUI? I discovered the other night that installing dotnet40 under wine is incredibly hard, and totally failed on the Mac that I was trying on.

~ T

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:46 am »

The mac I'm on can't run vanilla DF for long periods of time. It just dies to FPS death. I know Masterwork is supposed to be better, but I'm hesitant to even try it given the versions are so far behind (still in version 2 rather than version 4).

Anyway. I'll see what I can bash together from the phobeus tileset.

use the ground (not the walls) from this:

then use this general format.

and this reference sheet:

replace the red rock with a red skull (skull is below the w)
Replace the top right corner with the chimney thing that's 5 spaces to the right of the skull on phobeus' tile sheet.
The checker pattern should be replaced with the bear trap symbol. (right below the N)
replace the O in the bottom corner with a blood filled trough (top row, square shaped thing), then scatter 1 or 2 broken open bones (bottom row) next to it.
Finally, might want to put an anvil in there some where. But that might be overkill.

The difference between magma and normal would be that the bear trap symbol should be grey or black or normal, and dark red for unpowered magma, and bright red for powered magma.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:16:02 am by shadowclasper »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2014, 03:11:30 am »

Personally, I think the manual should be on-line and community editable, because people shouldn't have to learn git and html to contribute. Let me see what I can do about that.
Masterwork has its own namespace on the official wiki. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Main_Page

Just saying that there is a community made, online manual.  :)

Before you start doing any workshops by hand (the horror, that amount of work), do it with this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54004.0
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2014, 03:45:25 am »

I'm a person who is very determined to let other people work on my projects. So I'm glad to say that the Orc Fortress Manual is now online.  I've updated it for the Orcish Rebalance, but it certainly could do with some copyediting.  Plus, if you've ever wanted to include something in the manual that you thought was missing, then now's your chance. Please be bold with your edits; if something goes wrong it's easy to revert them.  (You'll need a free github account to make changes.)

I'll be generating the manual that appears in Studded With Patches (and eventually the official Masterwork release, I hope) from the wiki, so this is a really easy way to contribute to the project!

Masterwork has its own namespace on the official wiki. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Main_Page

I've been updating the Masterwork wiki on the DFW for longer than I've been posting in the forums. :) I would love to use it to host the manual, but unfortunately it doesn't give me a good workflow in auto-generating the manual itself, which is my goal. Gollum lets me generate the entire manual (including applying style, so it fits in with the other masterwork manuals) with just a couple of commands. That means I never, ever have to generate the manual myself (the moment I have to do something manually, you can be sure I'll forget to do it.)

This isn't intended to replace the masterwork wiki, just give people a way to edit the manual that sucks less. :)

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2014, 05:40:13 am »

And the manual is now auto-generated, and is looking pretty good. :)

I still have to manually run the script, but that's a single command. And now I don't have to look at HTML any more! :)

I'm pretty sure this is in a condition where I can release it, because everything on milestone 1 has been checked off.  There may be an announcement later tonight. :)

~ T

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:15 am »

Ideas for early game enemies for Orcs:

-Any Fortress Defense race.
-Gnomes.
-Cutebolds, which are a terror to fight if they send decent fighters at you. Actually, make them late game.
-Some new human race? Maybe Norse or Aztec inspired? Actually, I like the Aztec idea... hm.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2014, 07:59:00 am »

We interrupt your regular discussion for...

New Release - Orc Fortress Rebalanced

Download now! :D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13