Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: [ORC] The Proud Orcish Rebalance  (Read 22337 times)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ORC] The Proud Orcish Rebalance
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2014, 08:21:31 pm »

Its actually unintentional. It was 3 to 1 in previous DF versions, so MATERIAL_SIZE:6 meant 2 bars, and 9 was 3 bars. 15 was 5 bars for the two-handed weapons. Apparently Toady One changed that in some update, and no one mentioned to me that the items are a bit pricy. ^^

Oh dear. I wonder if that change is a bug or a feature, and if it's consistent with melting/recycling operations? If it takes nine bars to make an item (new MATERIAL_SIZE:9 behaviour), but it only returns three bars on recycling (old MATERIAL_SIZE:9 behaviour) then that significantly reduces what can be reclaimed by melting. (Even if that's a bug, it's one I actually like, because I think recycling invaders' materials already provide plenty of mithril and steel as it is.)

I'm assuming this affects armour as well?

I am a bit undecided if I should keep it that expensive, or if I should divide all sizes by 3.

I'd divide them all by three. I imagine many of the custom workshop reactions (at least the tribal gearcrafter in orcs) assume materials using the old values, and 15 bars feels like a lot to craft a single item.

I'm totally happy to write a script to do this (leaving sizes below 3 either untouched, or setting them to 1), and to run it over either all the item files, or just the weapons and armour ones.  I'm also happy to do that after the warlocks release. :)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2014, 08:32:09 pm »

Armor as well. Its also on hardcoded items, like statue. When I started playing, statues cost 1 bar.  Not its 9.  :o

Melting always gives 1 bar, regardless of the items material size. (I hope that didnt change^^)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shadow9657

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2014, 09:49:20 pm »

I updated the caravanerserai page, I hope the changes I made were ok. Thanks for the awesome rebalance.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:32 am »

Suggestions: No drowspiders as wagon pullers for orcs.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »

Suggestions: No drowspiders as wagon pullers for orcs.

why not give them one of the arctic biom creatures? Bears if you want it to be raiderish, or muskox or something else. The entire lore is they're from the Tagia, so they should have arctic creatures as pets right? Frost Wolves, Snow Bison, Polar Bears, Penguins instead of chickens.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:50 pm »

Quick question: are runes on oricalchum weapons and armor actually better than on other material weapons, or is the announcement thing lying?
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2014, 06:37:35 pm »

I saw something odd just now:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MINERAL_OIL_COKE_ORC]
[NAME:Distill oil from coke (4)]
[BUILDING:ORC_BLACKSMOKE:CUSTOM_C][BUILDING:MAGMA_ORC_BLACKSMOKE:CUSTOM_C]
[REAGENT:coke:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[REAGENT:B:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:PLANT_MAT:OIL_MINERAL:OIL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:LYE_MAKING]

It says 'coke (4)', but it calls for 1 bar of coke. Not sure which version is correct... 4 bars = 1 oil, or 1 bar = 1 oil. One way or another, the reaction has to be changed slightly.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »

Orc mode is seeming a bit too easy at the moment, I'm in year 4 now with three casualties, two of whom were merchants burned to death when hill orcs brought barrels of fire to the depot.  I have kept the entrance to my fort wide open, am not using traps aside from one cage trap to add elves to my gladiator pit, and I'm avoiding using any sort of exploit.  Is there a way to increase the frequency of invaders?  Constantly raiding just makes my orcs even more overpowered with the loot, and the 20-man sieges aren't really a threat.
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2014, 05:12:04 pm »

Orcs are quite good fighters, and they have no weak points.

Dwarves have the cult, hidden threats (bloodbeasts, necromancers, werebeasts, spies), diseases, the red-marker easter egg, fire-starting reactions... Orcs do not have anything like this.

Increase frequency of invaders: The thing is that the good races only have one active season. They can only siege max once a year, or send an ambush once a year. Goblins and Orcs (which trade soooo often with you when you play orcs) have multiple active seasons, and therefore attack more often.

Frequency could be raised by linking syndrometrigger to force-siege, and make every orc start a siege ~1% once per year. This way you get 1 extra siege a year if you have 100 orcs, and ~2 extra sieges a year if you have 200 orcs.

It would naturally decrease and increase with the amount of orcs running around your camp.

Edit: Found a little typo: In your SCALP_TROGLODYTE it says "troglodyte:orcs:orc".

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:SCALP_TROGLODYTE]
    [NAME:troglodyte:orcs:orc]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:SCALP_TEMPLATE]
    [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL][ARENA_RESTRICTED][DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    [REACTION_CLASS:TROGLODYTE]

EDIT: Would it be ok it if I add a " skin" to the names? I know that a scalp already implies that the material is skin, (human scalp is obviously the skin from the head of a human), but as soon as you use the materials for other objects its not clear. "A human-bound book" or a "human journal" sound very... normal. As if a human made these things, or if they belong to a human.

"A human skin-bound book" or a "human skin journal" sound a lot nicer.

I also added scalps to the FD races. One generic "skin scalp" type. Is that any problem for orcs? It was requested in the Warlock thread, to be able to use those sapient invaders for it as well.

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SCALP_FD:MUSCLE]

[CREATURE:SCALP_FD]
    [NAME:skin:skin:skin]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:SCALP_TEMPLATE]
    [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL][ARENA_RESTRICTED][DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    [REACTION_CLASS:FD]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:43:33 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]