Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318403 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
The "Recommend me a game" thread
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:13 am »

I was going to make a thread just for my question, but I see so many recommendation threads around that I decided that I might attempt to bundle them all into one thread. Bring all your "Should I try X game?" and "Recommend me an X game" questions to this thread.

Note: I searched and saw the "Recommend me a game" thread, but that was last updated in October so I figured it'd be okay if I make a new thread.

That said, could somebody share a few good side-scrolling space shooters? Something that's good for a beginner but still challenging, like Life Force. I know the Gradius series, but there's got to be more good (and more modern) ones than those.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 01:15:13 am »

That said, could somebody share a few good side-scrolling space shooters? Something that's good for a beginner but still challenging, like Life Force. I know the Gradius series, but there's got to be more good (and more modern) ones than those.

You could check out Hydorah... It's free!  :)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 11:25:02 pm »

I know little about and suck at shmups, but I hear xoxak does good reviews of them.  :)

ABA games has a lot of bullet hell style games.

I'm perpetually looking for nexus-TJI alikes.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:47:37 am »

You can try Tyrian, it's currently free on good old games and boatload of other abandon ware sites.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 02:49:51 am »

I got $25 to spend.
After a survival game, but open to any awesome suggestions. Any ideas?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 03:27:13 am »

You could try Don't Starve. It's a rougelike survival game with a surreal art style to it. Or Unreal World, a survival game based in iron age finland. There's also State of Decay a single player zombie survival game that uses an interchangeable permadeath character system to scavenge for supplies and manage various base group aspects. Finally there's Rouge Survivor (pick the download link from blogsite) another zombie game but more rougelike, it's currently an abandoned title but for what it's worth there's much fun to be had with its current state: randomly generated city districts, competent AI, city generation and game difficulty editor and various mob entities.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 05:17:45 am »

Of course, if you're after a zombie survival roguelike, there's always Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Ah, the feeling of coming home after a long day of looting houses and killing zombies with flaming swords and making yourself a nice cup of tea and reading a skill book by the fire...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 05:24:35 am »

You could try Don't Starve. It's a rougelike survival game with a surreal art style to it. Or Unreal World, a survival game based in iron age finland. There's also State of Decay a single player zombie survival game that uses an interchangeable permadeath character system to scavenge for supplies and manage various base group aspects. Finally there's Rouge Survivor (pick the download link from blogsite) another zombie game but more rougelike, it's currently an abandoned title but for what it's worth there's much fun to be had with its current state: randomly generated city districts, competent AI, city generation and game difficulty editor and various mob entities.
Also would like to add RUST if you like the Multiplayer Styled game of Don't Trust anyone systems. Pretty good for a alpha...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 07:00:52 am »

Are there any actual point-n-click adventure games for Android? It seems like it'd be a no-brainer for touch devices but all I can find are generic puzzle games.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 10:10:56 am »

Are there any actual point-n-click adventure games for Android? It seems like it'd be a no-brainer for touch devices but all I can find are generic puzzle games.

Theres the new Broken Sword game and most of the old ones on Android.

There are a few other (some free) p&c and rogulelikes on the store worth playing too, cant remember the names as traded in my Nexus for a new gfx card a couple of months ago lol.

I had fun with Frozen Synapse, The room and i think GTA San Andreas is just out on Android.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 10:20:34 am »

Alright. Does anyone know western RPGs which aren't The Elder Scrolls?

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:31:54 am »

The Witcher 2 is decent, im a couple of hours into it atm.

Thers also the Mass Effect series and Deus Ex HR, tho they are shooting based with rpg elements.  Still worth playing even if not really into shooting games.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 10:35:06 am »

Fallout.
Arcanum.
Might and Magix (6, 7 and 8 being some of my favs).
Gothic (any part of the series).

And if you can stomach large ammounts of ham/clunkyness you have Two Worlds and Two Worlds two (those are more hack and slash than actual RPGs tho).

As for side scrolling shooters... "Jets and guns" is one of the best around... especially the gold version (the one they actually completed).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:36:48 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 11:43:37 am »

SCUMMVM is on Android so there's all those classic games that used SCUMM, but I don't know of any modern ones.

The Divinity series, Divine and 2 in particular.

Gothic (any part of the series).
Not Gothic 4, Gothic 4 is really bad.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 02:24:05 pm »

Anything by Bioware? Of course once you "crack" their code and can tell a game's big bad or huge twist a quarter into the game their things can lose a bit of their charm. Still, fun characters, loads of quests and good production quality for most of their titles.

To be fair the problem might be more with RPGs in general and not just Bioware but that's how I feel having just played Jade Empire. Good game, so little surprises.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 179