Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Songs of Syx  (Read 11914 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Songs of Syx
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2021, 10:41:14 am »

Oh, one more:

You don't need iron to build woodcutters or coal/ore mines. The iron mentioned in their somewhat misleading tooltip is only required for the auxiliaries.
You can build them without auxiliaries, they will work at 40% efficiency. Then, when you acquire some iron, you can always add auxiliaries to them to get their production up to 100%.

Alternatively, sell things to fund import of metal early on.  Grain is a good starter, since it is inedible till processed and you’ll find plenty from gathering.  Food decays relatively quickly, so selling excess of that early on works and if you have even 1 hunter, meat and leather sales are a good staple for much of early game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2021, 11:27:46 pm »

In general, import things first, build production for things later, once imports are no longer sustainable. Import metal, import cloth, import clothes, import pottery. Furniture, livestock, and opiates (in warm climates) are great export goods.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2021, 12:00:12 am »

That sounds more reasonable than my general strategy of "build production to the steady drumbeat of people dying", not gon' lie. Probably faster, too.

... that said, at least when I've played there didn't really seem to be a detriment to losing a constant drip of immigrants to exposure or starvation, so... I'unno, the incentive to do better ain't really there, y'know? Lives in Syx are apparently hella' cheap and in unending supply.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2021, 05:31:38 pm »

In general, import things first, build production for things later, once imports are no longer sustainable. Import metal, import cloth, import clothes, import pottery. Furniture, livestock, and opiates (in warm climates) are great export goods.

Imports are sustainable throughout the entire game. The whole system encourages you to import nearly everything while exporting some valuable things.

How much is imported depends on how much storage space you have in your warehouses for a particular product, so it's infinitly scalable by simply building more warehouses and dedicating more crates to your needed goods.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2021, 09:09:52 pm »

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 05:39:51 pm by axiomsofdominion »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2022, 12:28:20 pm »

I'm bringing back this thread from the underworld because I got it a couple of days ago in exchange for doing some work, and I've got a question.

When I hover over occupied housing, there's an icon showing different materials depending on race. I'd assumed this was to upgrade the houses or something, but I can't see a way to get them to do so manually, and they aren't automatically grabbing the materials either. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

EDIT: Worked it out, you have to go through the citizens tabs. Right click the portraits of the race on the right.

Next question, I have weapons. How do I give them to my regiments?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:21:12 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2022, 08:32:48 pm »

IIRC, it was in the squad/military menu (been awhile, I don't recall the names)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2022, 11:15:52 am »

I worked out how, click the weapons rectangle in the top left, it'll let you assign weapon/armour levels for each regiment.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2023, 12:25:38 pm »

The long awaited v64 update was released, adding more 4x (inspired by total war series) to the world map.
The city builder saw some nice updates too over the past year.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2023, 11:33:03 am »

I've been playing this game a lot recently, and it's quite good fun. I'm on my third city right now, my first one I restarted after at a couple of hundred population because once I got a handle on the resource extraction mechanics and scale the game requires I realized that being in the middle of a infertile resource less wasteland isn't that much fun. Second city I ended when I was about 1200 pop into a only lizardman city and sorta started to understand the game isn't made to be played as a single race city and complex industry is very difficult to support with the wrong races. At least early game. Now I'm at about 2700 pop with a decent mix of all 6 races. Still a small city compared to the npc capitals and the 15000 title, but I think I have more or less seen most of what there is to see in the game thus far.

I've conquered or purchased 6 nearby cities, including 2 npc capitals which I've been building up to be fairly major vassal cities (Both much larger then my own capital lol) Too an extent I feel like the game is breaking down now and becoming less fun to push forward. Conquered cities produce such an amazing overabundance of raw resources that I've stopped expanding any races parts of the cities except the dwarves to craft complex goods (mostly paper) and the humans to deal with the ever expanding bureaucracy. Combat, now that I've getting into it seems... Bad. I've never had an absolutely huge fight with thousands per side, my biggest was 500 troops on my side and about 1300 on the enemy side... The fight consisted of my 400 lizardmen melee troops being totally useless except as arrow catchers as my 100 elven archers shot the entire enemy army to bits... Maybe it changes at higher numbers but the AI seems to love to stand back and loose a ranged fight, arrows seems hilariously lethal compared to melee, and controls for actually getting into melee combat seem unbearably awkward and slow. All together combat is not a very satisfying experience.

That said, I'm excited for early updates to polish up this part of the game. And certainly the more early-midish game is imo pretty great. There are some weird niggles with some mechanics like furniture and maintenance that I hope are dealt with, but overall I've certainly been enjoying it and I think it's worth the price.

By the way, I'd be interested in seeing peoples towns. Here's a big ass screenshot of mine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see, still tons of room to expand. Although might need to set up more suburbs. In this I have all 6 races for the most part in their own areas, although 4 are quite close. The central area are humans and a lot of the services, to the south of them are the farms with the Cretonians (pigmen) living nearby. North of the humans in the mountain are the Dondorians (dwarves), and then on the other side of the insect pens to the north of the dwarves are the Garthimis, who farm the insects and mine. West of the humans are the Tilapis (elves) who tend to animals and farm trees. Elves also make and train with bows And far to the west in the lake and on the island are the Amevias (lizardmen) who fish and become soldiers. Humans have almost run out of room, if I keep playing I think I will need to make a new suburb area, probably south of the farms.

I do think one of the best things about this game is how satisfying it is to have a real town with thousands of people living in it. It just feels a lot better to me then a lot of other games in this area, even like dwarf fortress, where your city ends up holding only a few dozen to a few hundred people.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 11:50:19 am by Criptfeind »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2023, 04:44:56 pm »

I do think one of the best things about this game is how satisfying it is to have a real town with thousands of people living in it. It just feels a lot better to me then a lot of other games in this area, even like dwarf fortress, where your city ends up holding only a few dozen to a few hundred people.

agreed. the game simulates the complexity of hundreds or thousands of actors in a very satisfying way. however, like you mentioned, the combat is iffy atm. . . a deeper criticism is that the game lacks chaos or difficulty - there are very much solved methods of production and storage and whatnot and this makes it tough to enjoy. unlike dwarf fortress there is little 'life' to the simulation
Pages: 1 2 [3]