Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320930 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 02:35:47 pm »

Alright. Does anyone know western RPGs which aren't The Elder Scrolls?
Gothic (any part of the series).
Not Gothic 4, Gothic 4 is really bad.

Well it's called Arcadia or something silly so that actual fans won't mistake it.
Other than that It's gothic 1-3 all the way... altho i think G2 had some serious balance issues (at least the one with the Expansion pack) since i encountered TON of different weapons but... most of them had STR requirements from space forcing me to use a shoddy shortened halberd till i found a magical plot blade that had no STR requirements.

That's only G2 tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 03:14:58 pm »

If you want a western RPG, go with Septerra Core.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »

Arcana Steamworks and Magic or whatever it's called. It's on GOG pretty cheap.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »

Alright. Does anyone know western RPGs which aren't The Elder Scrolls?

Baldur's Gate 2

(the "enhanced" edition was released recently, though I don't know what its current bugginess etc status is compared with the original, or whether it's been enhanced enough to be worth the higher price)

Edit so's not to double post:

That said, could somebody share a few good side-scrolling space shooters? Something that's good for a beginner but still challenging, like Life Force. I know the Gradius series, but there's got to be more good (and more modern) ones than those.

It's not quite what you're asking for - top down rather than side scroll and perhaps a bit more mission based with story stuff - but it might be worth looking at the relatively recent Ring Runner.  As I say, it's top down, fly around shooting stuff, with ship customisation and upgrading.  I'm not too far through it myself, but so far it's easy enough for a beginner to complete each mission, but a bit trickier if you want to hit all the bonus objectives.  User feedback seems to be pretty positive, it's relatively cheap, and there's a free/demo (multiplayer only I think) version.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:19:01 pm by Biowraith »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 04:47:24 pm »

If you want a western RPG, go with Septerra Core.
But... but septerra core is a jRPG at heart and soul.
Self promotion below.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 06:58:33 pm »

All right here's a hard one. Someone recommend me a game similar to the likes of Yume Nikki, Kairo and LSD Dream Emulator. You know things with exploration in mind, little or no combat and a surreal setting.

Please do not include games like Dear Esther, that's not what I'm looking for now. I want the game to have defined rules.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 07:39:08 pm »

All right here's a hard one. Someone recommend me a game similar to the likes of Yume Nikki, Kairo and LSD Dream Emulator. You know things with exploration in mind, little or no combat and a surreal setting.

Please do not include games like Dear Esther, that's not what I'm looking for now. I want the game to have defined rules.
I assume you've played the major Yume Nikki fan games? Maybe Proteus? It's not that trippy but it is explorationy.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Yannanth

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 08:23:21 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:30:23 pm by Yannanth »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 08:27:08 pm »

MirrorMoon EP and Proteus are my top picks. I prefer the former to the latter but I never got into this hyper-experimental genre myself.

Now recommend me a classic console RPG (also known as JRPG), preferably with 2D graphics. Cannot be NES (or that era), cannot be Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, or in the Final Fantasy series. :)
Have you tried Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup?

Roguelikes count as RPGs too.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 08:35:24 pm »

MirrorMoon EP and Proteus are my top picks. I prefer the former to the latter but I never got into this hyper-experimental genre myself.

Now recommend me a classic console RPG (also known as JRPG), preferably with 2D graphics. Cannot be NES (or that era), cannot be Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, or in the Final Fantasy series. :)

Lufia 2.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 09:04:39 pm »

Maybe to Dragon Quest series.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2013, 09:27:32 pm »

Thought of the perfect one, A Cosmic Forest is exactly what you're looking for. http://7dfps.com/?action=games&id=155
There's also Noby Noby boy, which is less explorey but very trippy.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »

Umm well Septerra Core fits the bill perfectly now.
2D.
No NES "chibi" characters.
Combat similar to Chrono trigger (not sure about Final Fantasy because i didn't play it).
Self promotion below.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2013, 10:21:50 pm »

I assume you've played the major Yume Nikki fan games? Maybe Proteus? It's not that trippy but it is explorationy.

I've played Yume Nikki and ilk into the ground. :P I took a look into Proteus and my god dat early 3D inspired retro videogame FPS presentation, unfortunately it's not what I'm looking for. :\

MirrorMoon EP on the other hand looks pretty damn interesting. I'll give it a try after I'm done playing AntiChamber.

There's the tales series, Tales of Phantasia is pretty damn good there's an english translation floating around on the internet for the SNES version and if you have the time and money you can get the GBA version there's also versions for the PS and PSP but those are in japanese.

Then there's Bahamut Lagoon (SNES english translation), it's like if Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem had a baby, with a dragon raising system.

I'm also with varsovie on the Dragon Quest games. I'm more towards the remakes of DQ3, the versions for the SNES (translated) and GBC are definitely worth most of your time.

If you have a PS3 there's also a great handful of classic PS1 JRPGs, if you have a PSP you can also upload it into the system for convenient on the road fun; I'm currently going through FF9  and am probably going to try Parasite Eve next!

Thought of the perfect one, A Cosmic Forest is exactly what you're looking for. http://7dfps.com/?action=games&id=155
There's also Noby Noby boy, which is less explorey but very trippy.

I just gave Cosmic Forest a go, it's certainly up there in visual uniqueness but it's gameplay and lack of direction doesn't chaff well with me.

What's this Noby Noby Boy stuff ab  ou-t...?

Holy cah-rahp! it looks like if the developers of Katamari made their game with just one more hit of acid!?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2013, 10:27:00 pm »

I vote Tales of Symphonia.  It's cel-shaded 3D and perfect.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 179