Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320718 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1530 on: August 16, 2017, 03:33:48 pm »

Been playing this PS2 game called Culdcept. I wonder if anyone's heard of it? It's like a weird mix of Magic the Gathering and Monopoly.

Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits and Valkyria Chronicles for the PS2 are fun tactical JRPGs.
Was looking at Arc the Lad games and this might be the encouragement I needed to try it out. VC1 and 2 are fun but I wish it they took themselves a little more seriously.

PSP has Elminage Original, yet another nice Wizardry-style dungeon crawler (with significantly less frustration included in comparison to Elminage Gothic that's available on PC).
PS1 has Azure Dreams, rather unique roguelike/monster-raising/dating sim with tons of flavor.
PS2 and PSP (and PC now) have Phantom Brave - Nippon Ichi TRPG that is easy but fun to break.
NDS:Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey - still yet another dungeon crawler.
Huh, never heard of that one. Sound interesting!
Azure Dreams had a really amazing atmosphere but I couldn't get into the gameplay! Need to give it another shot.
Unfortunately I really don't like Nippon Ichi games.
I didn't like any of the other SMT games but I really liked Strange Journey. The sci-fi set up got me interested. Never finished it though.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 23, 2017, 04:11:02 pm »

Could you suggest some decent jrpgs (with a turn-based tactical combat system) to someone who never played any single one of them? I'm not specifically asking for something basic and approachable for newbies, I just want an example of a good jrpg having played which you will have a (relatively) solid understanding what the genre is and know if you like this type of games.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:14:52 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1532 on: August 23, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »

Could you suggest some decent jrpgs (with a turn-based tactical combat system) to someone who never played any single one of them? I'm not specifically asking for something basic and approachable for newbies, I just want an example of a good jrpg having played which you will have a (relatively) solid understanding what the genre is and know if you like this type of games.
Metal Max Returns is pretty great.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 23, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »

Try Golden Sun. Really old, but a high-quality game, in my humble opinion.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 24, 2017, 11:42:56 am »

Well, it's an obvious one, but Final Fantasy Tactics is a fun turn based tactical JRPG.  I'm not sure if that's what you mean by tactical, but if you haven't played it I highly recommend it.

It was for PS1 originally, but I think it's on PSP as well.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 24, 2017, 06:19:21 pm »

The PS1 version is superior, the PSP version kills the story with its terrible VA/cutscenes. The bastards did this with Mega Man X, too.

(You could play the PS1 version on the PSP but some battle animations would be slow.)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 24, 2017, 06:33:44 pm »

Final Fantasy Tactics has a great class system. You can train and use cross-class abilities or passives. The playstation FFT has a politics plot.

Disgaea is great fun if you like having the ability to grind absurdly, and has a goofy anime plot. Grinding isn't needed to beat the main plot, but you can get each party member up to level 9999, and level their equipment by entering the items and beating random levels.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 24, 2017, 07:28:44 pm »

I second the Disgaea series. Also, in case you want a totally unreasonable JRPG, play Elona.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 25, 2017, 09:44:35 am »

Somehow very occasional experiences (around once every few months) of watching giant robots in battle reminds me of one old game which I sorely forgot (Two of them in particular. The first was around 10+ years ago when I was a young girl, playing on my older brothers' PC. Was in some kind of robot, on a mission that had me blow up two tanks, and some other small vehicles [small from my perspective], and then there were enemies in the far distance that I had trouble even attacking because of the multiple weapons systems at my disposal, and being young and new, had no idea how to use them right. Some of them were on cliffs and on the ground, so it was both an intriguing experience and one that up'd my perspective of battle games like these because of cliffclimbing enemies. Also when you died, the camera would stop being first-person and zoom out to your mech slowly exploding dramatically. The next game was pixelated in a way, had around 4[?] characters in giant machines, which get nuked when they run out of health, and the pilot can eject and has a really puny attack. Also the nuke icon was a black and orange circle with a red and green HUD :v. Reminiscing it, this should go into the 'forgotten a game?' thread but it is related)

I forgot those two games :I
But now I'm finding myself check both on mobile (Giggle play store) and on PC(...Steam? O_o or online) for OFFLINE games that don't require a constant internet connection that have giant robots or otherwise as your main character/control.

This all happened because of an advertisement that shot up in a game I'm playing on my phone. It was "War Robots" on the Google Play store. :v
And it is annoyingly online only.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 25, 2017, 03:38:01 pm »

Somehow very occasional experiences (around once every few months) of watching giant robots in battle reminds me of one old game which I sorely forgot (Two of them in particular. The first was around 10+ years ago when I was a young girl, playing on my older brothers' PC. Was in some kind of robot, on a mission that had me blow up two tanks, and some other small vehicles [small from my perspective], and then there were enemies in the far distance that I had trouble even attacking because of the multiple weapons systems at my disposal, and being young and new, had no idea how to use them right. Some of them were on cliffs and on the ground, so it was both an intriguing experience and one that up'd my perspective of battle games like these because of cliffclimbing enemies. Also when you died, the camera would stop being first-person and zoom out to your mech slowly exploding dramatically. The next game was pixelated in a way, had around 4[?] characters in giant machines, which get nuked when they run out of health, and the pilot can eject and has a really puny attack. Also the nuke icon was a black and orange circle with a red and green HUD :v. Reminiscing it, this should go into the 'forgotten a game?' thread but it is related)

But now I'm finding myself check both on mobile (Giggle play store) and on PC(...Steam? O_o or online) for OFFLINE games that don't require a constant internet connection that have giant robots or otherwise as your main character/control.

This all happened because of an advertisement that shot up in a game I'm playing on my phone. It was "War Robots" on the Google Play store. :v

Mechwarrior?

Starsiege?
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1540 on: August 25, 2017, 06:44:06 pm »

That first one is almost certainly MechWarrior 4: Vengeance, or MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 25, 2017, 07:23:19 pm »

Could also be G-nome.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 27, 2017, 04:21:42 am »

You people are amazing! ♥

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions match the memory :x however in searching gameplay videos, it triggered a memory that I got my 'mech' repaired by what seemed to be a giant military truck, or...err, two giant hollow hangar-shaped capsules that enclose around me then my mech is repaired .-.; They were beige in color, with black ridges [depressions?] (I think)

Otherwise, those are nice suggestions too :3

. . .Anyone know steam games that have those suggestions? x.x

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 27, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »

I know it was mentioned already but that sounds a lot like Mechwarrior. Mechwarrior 3 had mobile field bases that could repair you during missions, here's a video https://youtu.be/G7qGL7ZC_ls?list=PLTdP4iMqW99ETNMKSSz6b8GgLcMy84gLA&t=1080

Sadly I don't think you can buy the games in the mechwarrior series anymore, probably because the rights are complicated. The only one around now is online only. I can't really think of any other game out there at the moment that satisfies that giant stompy robot itch.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 27, 2017, 11:00:55 pm »

I know it was mentioned already but that sounds a lot like Mechwarrior. Mechwarrior 3 had mobile field bases that could repair you during missions, here's a video https://youtu.be/G7qGL7ZC_ls?list=PLTdP4iMqW99ETNMKSSz6b8GgLcMy84gLA&t=1080

Sadly I don't think you can buy the games in the mechwarrior series anymore, probably because the rights are complicated. The only one around now is online only. I can't really think of any other game out there at the moment that satisfies that giant stompy robot itch.
IT IS! @_@ THANK YOU! (I only saw Mechwarrior 4 and it didn't match the memory)
I love the feeling of recalling something in the past and seeing it remembered thanks to others :D

Although now, I'll be at a total loss of mech games. :P Thank you everyone for all that!
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 179