Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 321097 times)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1545 on: August 28, 2017, 08:09:26 am »

Well, Mechwarrior Online is set in the same universe, although it's online PVP only. 

As 'free to play' goes, mechwarrior online is pretty good.  No limitation to how many matches you can play in any given time frame, and progression is good even without any paid boosters.

The 'pay to win' element is very minor, it only exists in that new mechs are typically MC only (cash shop currency) for the first couple months it's out.  However all the "best" mechs are available for in game currency.

I've played it for a few years now, and haven't put a cent into the game.  I have 18 mech bays (you start with 3), with 18 mechs to go in them.  I have enough MC from events and giveaways to buy 3 more mech bays, although I typically wait for a sale when they go on half price.

So if you like the design your own robot with a variety of weapons systems aspects, give it a try.  If you like the mission based structure more than the robot v robot action, you might not care for it.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 01, 2017, 09:01:06 pm »

Looking for single player open world/sandbox games with a contract or bounty sort of system, where I just have a home base or hub level or even an apartment and I can take on different (preferably randomised and unlimited) contracts to assassinate or neutralize threats (or for money, not picky). Could be in a spaceship or as an individual running around, also not picky.

Something like Skyrim's The Dark Brotherhood Forever, except with more options? The same few targets all the time with barely any interaction gets boring after a while. Or like Shadow of Mordor's captain hunting but more explicitly contractual in nature. I know the Hitman series is a good start but the contracts aren't random and unlimited :(

It could be the main point of the game or just a part of it, I don't mind either. Thanks if anyone knows of such games! :)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 18, 2017, 01:58:04 pm »

It's not out for three days yet, but Heat Signature is a top-down stealth-action thing where you're a single agent sneaking onto spaceships to do all sorts of nefarious things - the jobs are, in fact, randomly generated and apparently infinite, although you have an overarching plotline randomly generated for your agent to work on too. And, yes, your jobs can be assassination jobs if you so choose! If you want to go nonlethal, that's an option too. And I think you have a home station where you can keep all your gear and so on and upgrade your kit. The open-world element might not be there quite as a focus, but your jobs do affect how the various factions take over territory in space, so I guess it does count as open world? Not much to do in it besides hit up shops for gear and hijack ships, though.

It's from the guy who made Gunpoint, and all the pre-release gameplay has looked top-notch. I'd recommend checking it out, yeah - apparently it's going to sell for fifteen dollars, if that's a good price point for you.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:00:41 pm by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 18, 2017, 05:13:35 pm »

I'm interested in free multiplayer games on the PC that can run on hardware that isn't all that capable of handling good graphics.
I prefer some cooperative elements.
I'm not very into most MMOs, especially ones like WoW.

Browser games are fine by me.
Signature? I hardly know 'er.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:22 pm »

I'd like a game with a high number of different ways to play it. The more the better. Let's take Skyrim for example. You could be a mage, a thief, a warrior, and there were a bunch of different magic schools and weapon types. In the Binding of Isaac you had hundreds of items and could combine their effects to get crazy powerful combinations. I want things like that, but times 100. Probably not going to get x100 but the more unique playthroughs  and the more overpowered I can get out of the game the better.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: November 20, 2017, 02:11:43 am »

I'd like a game with a high number of different ways to play it. The more the better. Let's take Skyrim for example. You could be a mage, a thief, a warrior, and there were a bunch of different magic schools and weapon types. In the Binding of Isaac you had hundreds of items and could combine their effects to get crazy powerful combinations. I want things like that, but times 100. Probably not going to get x100 but the more unique playthroughs  and the more overpowered I can get out of the game the better.

The only sort of game that lets you do that are Roguelikes. I'd look up CataDDA and DCSS if you haven't already - I can't think of anything else that allows that much flexibility.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: November 20, 2017, 02:57:05 am »

Streets of Rogue is growing into that. Lotta ways of accomplishing missions, thats for sure.
One wheel short of a wagon

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: November 21, 2017, 07:24:46 am »

The only sort of game that lets you do that are Roguelikes. I'd look up CataDDA and DCSS if you haven't already - I can't think of anything else that allows that much flexibility.

I played the shit out of those already. Waiting for tons of updates.

Streets of Rogue is growing into that. Lotta ways of accomplishing missions, thats for sure.

It looks so good but I never buy early access games.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: November 21, 2017, 07:34:26 am »

In the roguelike department, Dungeons of Dredmor and Tales of Maj'Eyal have a huge variety of classes and skills.

Also, I think Guild Wars 1 is still alive. You can use a combination of 10 different classes (a primary and a secondary) with hundreds of different skills.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: November 21, 2017, 11:16:23 am »

I played the shit out of those already. Waiting for tons of updates.

It looks so good but I never buy early access games.
Trust me, It is awesome. It has, despite being early access, lots of stuff in it. Just try the free version and tell me it doesn't have a lot of awesome stuff in it. https://madguy.itch.io/streets-of-rogue
WARNING:I just entered "itch.io streets of rogue" into Google. I have no idea if this specific link is really Streets of Rogue. You have been warned.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: November 21, 2017, 01:32:01 pm »

Meh, I'll take your's and one of my favorite streamer's recommendations and buy it  ;)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: November 21, 2017, 02:52:56 pm »

Triangle Wizard is good if the thing you want to do is blow stuff up with spells. Lots of ways of doing it, with a ridiculous amount of class/race/faith combinations available, many of which subtly (or not so subtly) effect the way your spells are cast. Homing spells, split spells, great big flamethrower attached to spells, there's a bit of everything. It's not pretty (spells are, creatures are just letters) and it's a bit slow, terrible interface, but it's quite good for all that. Roguelike, so random, so each playthrough is "different", but real time do there's stuff to do (walk around or kill stuff). But it's mainly different because it takes ages to go through even half of the more interesting combos. You can even play as a hero summoner and watch them all run off and explode each other with poorly thought out spell use (people shouldn't use Fireball or Death Cloud in close quarters, but they do, every time).
Really wish TW got multi-player. That would be hilarious.

Magika also fits into this sort of mould, but better, and it is quite pretty. Plus, multi-player with friendly fire is awesome fun. LOTS of ways to kill stuff, including your own teammates.

Pathos: the Nethack Codex is just like Nethack, but with most of the annoying bits taken out and with a really good interface. So it's quick to play. There's plenty of classes, plenty of tools, crafting, and even multi-player in development under the diagnostic menu (I haven't tried it yet, but MP NH sounds great). Available on PC and mobile, so do stuff on whatever platform you happen to have at the time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:07:15 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:53 pm »

im asking for recommendations and i dont wanna create another thread, so i'll ask here

i redownloaded x3:tc and ap since the first time in, well, awhile and i'm looking for a good all encompassing overhaul mod; i'm debating between litcube's or xrm. im just too lazy to go through the rigmarole of searching for mods for every feature, from fixing GoD from smiting lazy terran stations to fixing xenon ships with weird model glitches.

someone who's played either one recently, please sell me on it.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1558 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:53 pm »

Any good, replayable strategy games for Android?

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: December 01, 2017, 03:21:50 pm »

Any good, replayable strategy games for Android?
strategy is a soft description...

Tiny Rails
The Battle of Polytopia

not sure if you count them to strategy and/or replayable but Kairosoft-Games make much fun (Grand Prix Story and Game Dev Story are the best)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 179