Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320878 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1560 on: December 01, 2017, 10:28:37 pm »

The most enjoyable strategy games I have played on android are adaptations of physical boardgames. Through the Ages has been my go to, based on the boardgame of the same name which in turn is based on the Civilization games.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: December 03, 2017, 04:14:28 pm »

I ended up going vanilla with minor fix mods like an easier (slightly) hub quest and some minor improvements like adding atf ships at the earth ring for high ranking terran players and fixing the economy, things like that.

all i want is a improved vanilla game, sadly most of the old mod hosters have gone so you really gotta work to find the mods these days.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:41:15 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: December 20, 2017, 10:56:05 am »

I've been craving something like modded Minecraft but I want something different.

Things I like about it:

• So many resources
  • Mix of magic, tech, farming
  • Starting from scratch and incrementally improving my automation
  • Setting up process chains (digital miner -> Mekanism ore quintupling factory -> smelter -> blocks -> storage)
  • Finding weird "hacks". One that comes to mind is that, in the old Equivalent Exchange mod, a milk bucket was worth more EMC than an empty bucket (and then upgrade to a mooshroom/soup bowl once you get access to them). Set up a passive generator using this and just store EMC for a rainy day.
  • Energy generation, strangely enough. Sometimes ties in with the previous list item as well - a cobble gen feeding a magma crucible, pumping the resultant lava into a magmatic engine used to be a reliable method of unlimited power.

But I can only do so many iterations of "place items in 3x3 grid, pull out result, put result into crafting grid with eight other things, repeat".

Things I've played or heard about:
All of the 2d "Minecraft clones" - Terraria, Crea, Stardew Valley, Junk Jack, Signs of Life, about 30 more
Trove
Terasology
Factorio (I don't like having all of the resources right on the surface like that but I do like the automatic crafting (make an advanced piece of machinery and it'll queue up all of its components, kind of like a fully-loaded Applied Energistics/Refined Storage system in Minecraft)
Novus Inceptio
Osiris: New Dawn
Grav
Way too many 3d survival games to shake a stick at
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:01:21 am by Mephisto »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 20, 2017, 11:25:17 am »

Infinifactory? Or something like that, basically a blend of minecraft and factorio for all intents and purposes. Or does that come under your last item on the list?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: December 20, 2017, 11:30:17 am »

The things you make in Infinifactory don't do anything, do they? You just build a thing and ship it off to fulfill your level objective?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: December 20, 2017, 11:31:53 am »

Wait you're right, there's that other one, damn, I can't remember the name atm, it's basically stranded on a planet with a small power gen that gives your suit power and resources needed to survive for a while so you need to go out, mine more stuff, make processing chains and shit to get off the world or something?

Edit:

It's FortressCraft Evolved I'm thinking of.

Edit2:

Reading trough the reviews, I'm loving that one person which is giving the game a thumbs down after playing it for almost 600 hours, talk about taking a long time to figure out how you feel about a game :V
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:37:28 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: December 20, 2017, 11:37:59 am »

Edit: It's FortressCraft Evolved I'm thinking of.

I actually considered that one at some point. I'm not sure why I disregarded it. Thanks! I'll probably wait until tomorrow and see if it's part of the Steam sale.

It was probably something to do with the base defense bits, now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:39:47 am by Mephisto »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: December 20, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »

im asking for recommendations and i dont wanna create another thread, so i'll ask here

i redownloaded x3:tc and ap since the first time in, well, awhile and i'm looking for a good all encompassing overhaul mod; i'm debating between litcube's or xrm. im just too lazy to go through the rigmarole of searching for mods for every feature, from fixing GoD from smiting lazy terran stations to fixing xenon ships with weird model glitches.

someone who's played either one recently, please sell me on it.

I've played XRM extensively and I can only recommend it. First and foremost, I love it because it makes factions truly unique. There's no longer a 'best' ship compared to others in its class, for example. Every ship, from the smallest transporter to the biggest carrier, has its own niche. The mod also makes pirate ships unique in that they can use all racial weapons. Yes - racial weapons. Each race in XRM has its own selection weapons to choose from. As the ships mounting them, the guns are all rather unique and not just carbon-copies of each other with slightly different stats. Even Xenon have their own weapons. Since they can't be bought, it makes outfitting Xenon ships with weapon even more of a challenge.

Speaking of Xenon, there's also a lot more action going on in XRM. Be it the rogue machines, pirates or Kha'ak - you'll see a lot of them. This can make the game a bit difficult however. Don't assume you can easily settle in a Pirate or uninhabited sector! XRM does a good job at making border sectors feel a lot like the untamed wilds of the universe. Beyond them... well, search for yourself.

There's a lot more one could love about the mod, too much to really list it here. In any case, you should check out Lucike's mods too. They all work in tandem with XRM and especially the CODEA mod does wonders to improve the game. It's a mod that makes carriers not only viable, but actually fun to use.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: December 21, 2017, 07:17:50 pm »

please sell me on it.
I've played XRM extensively and I can only recommend it.

you had me at lucike. the dudes a damn genius. you know that bonus pack with all those script additions? he wrote those. in fact im using his scripts, some of dr.bullwinkle's and gazz's with some of the terran revitalization mods.

ive been looking for a good space sim that does something new and while im a big x player i never installed xrm so it could be like a whole new game.
even then im still looking for a good innovative space sim while im here so if you know a good one, share with a brother.

in my searches i found a small gem in the rough from russia: The Precursors. it's this weird combo of rpg/fps/space sim with a faction system. its like STALKER in space. the translations terrible, it's very roughly polished and for some it won't even work. if you're lucky, its one of the most ambitious games ive ever tried. if you're a forgiving type and can look past the issues (and install the unofficial patch) it's hella fun.

if you have a bit of pocket change you can pick it up from a bundle for $1.49 at fanatical: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/discovery-pick-mix-bundle
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:36:19 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: December 22, 2017, 11:19:48 am »

Is Elminage Original (PC) any good? Was trying to get the free torrent version before purchasing the game on steam, but decided to check if I could actually save megabytes of internet traffic not downloading it in the first place (I was unable to find a torrent of it anyway).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 22, 2017, 12:35:12 pm »

I'm in a mood for a game that has
- multiple hero / member characters you can skill up in some skill tree
- plays partly like a city builder with resource gathering and upgrading tech tree
- just almost like RTS with passive (not-so micro) defensive buildings, or micro involvement of hero / members
- some quest system to send off hero / members to skill up for loot upgrades
- has some enemy that can kill your base and hero
- decent story arc

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: December 22, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »

I'm in a mood for a game that has
- multiple hero / member characters you can skill up in some skill tree
- plays partly like a city builder with resource gathering and upgrading tech tree
- just almost like RTS with passive (not-so micro) defensive buildings, or micro involvement of hero / members
- some quest system to send off hero / members to skill up for loot upgrades
- has some enemy that can kill your base and hero
- decent story arc

The closest I can think of is the Majesty games.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: December 22, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »

Just making sure there is no more out-of-nowhere great games simillar to long live the queen. Ones i know:
1. Long live the queen itself. Surprisingly, other games from same devs are rated from "meh"(partially because long live the queen is great)  to "utter garbage".
2. Seven kingdoms: princess problem. Still demo, but what demo!
3. Choice of rebels. Mostly story, but part that will mostly determine the ending is pretty much this, and getting some achievments is the same hair-puller. Most likely some of others " choice of games".
4. Princess maker, kinda.
What else?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:33:09 pm by MCreeper »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: December 24, 2017, 11:43:27 am »

please sell me on it.
I've played XRM extensively and I can only recommend it.

you had me at lucike. the dudes a damn genius. you know that bonus pack with all those script additions? he wrote those. in fact im using his scripts, some of dr.bullwinkle's and gazz's with some of the terran revitalization mods.

If you like those kind of script, then you'll love XRM. Litcube - as far as I know - follows a very encompassing approach. It already includes scripts for better carrier operations and the like, which in turn makes it incompatible with Lucike's works. Basically Litcube's does everything you'll need out of the box, while XRM is an overhaul of vanilla core features and leaves everything else to third party mods.

I can't really say if Litcube's script are better or worse than Lucike's, but knowing the latter's work I'm not sure if it even CAN be done better.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: December 24, 2017, 07:20:38 pm »

Are there any good RPIs going these days? As far as I'm aware all of my old favourites died out and Arm is the only one left, and I'm pretty sure I'm still too spoilt by the slick controls and extensive documentation of games like SoI to get into it.

Last I checked that RPI forum Jeshin (I think?) started was dead, too.

I could probably stretch to a good, RP-enforced MUD if there's nothing better, but preferably not one that requires a goddamn programming degree just to stand a chance in combat(looking at you, FR!).
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 179