Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320261 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1575 on: December 26, 2017, 04:10:04 pm »

Any decent free games for Kindle Fire 7? Tower Defense games, or a Dwarf Fortress-like are things I'm currently in the mood for.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: December 31, 2017, 05:08:14 pm »

How is Spintires mudrunner? Worth the current price? I do love offroading games and there isn't really any games focused on that. Just DIRT games sorta and they are more racing than offroading.

Dunno if spintires mudrunner be good or not for that.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: December 31, 2017, 10:56:45 pm »

i'm fairly sure i asked this way back when, before i let the meme into my life, but it's been awhile so i'll just ask again:

does anyone know a game where you can singlehandedly build up your own faction and bases?

a good example would be MGS V: The Phantom Pain and Mount and Blade. tpp doesn't quite let you bring an army to bear but it does have a good feeling of building a personal support faction and base growth as you wander around the motherbase. Mount and Blade lets you get that feeling of building a kingdom from the ground up.

also, happy new years y'all
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 01, 2018, 01:44:48 am »

I'm in a mood for a game that has
- multiple hero / member characters you can skill up in some skill tree
- plays partly like a city builder with resource gathering and upgrading tech tree
- just almost like RTS with passive (not-so micro) defensive buildings, or micro involvement of hero / members
- some quest system to send off hero / members to skill up for loot upgrades
- has some enemy that can kill your base and hero
- decent story arc

They just added one to steam its in early access, I can't think of the name, its like majesty/runes of magicish  with the broken lands you bring together; not exactly what you are looking for but similar

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: January 01, 2018, 01:47:47 am »

Fortress craft. Play it.  Like an adult version of minecraft.  If you set things to the hardest it can literally take thousands of hours to win.

I've been craving something like modded Minecraft but I want something different.

Things I like about it:

• So many resources
  • Mix of magic, tech, farming
  • Starting from scratch and incrementally improving my automation
  • Setting up process chains (digital miner -> Mekanism ore quintupling factory -> smelter -> blocks -> storage)
  • Finding weird "hacks". One that comes to mind is that, in the old Equivalent Exchange mod, a milk bucket was worth more EMC than an empty bucket (and then upgrade to a mooshroom/soup bowl once you get access to them). Set up a passive generator using this and just store EMC for a rainy day.
  • Energy generation, strangely enough. Sometimes ties in with the previous list item as well - a cobble gen feeding a magma crucible, pumping the resultant lava into a magmatic engine used to be a reliable method of unlimited power.

But I can only do so many iterations of "place items in 3x3 grid, pull out result, put result into crafting grid with eight other things, repeat".

Things I've played or heard about:
All of the 2d "Minecraft clones" - Terraria, Crea, Stardew Valley, Junk Jack, Signs of Life, about 30 more
Trove
Terasology
Factorio (I don't like having all of the resources right on the surface like that but I do like the automatic crafting (make an advanced piece of machinery and it'll queue up all of its components, kind of like a fully-loaded Applied Energistics/Refined Storage system in Minecraft)
Novus Inceptio
Osiris: New Dawn
Grav
Way too many 3d survival games to shake a stick at

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:28 am »

Is nier automata worth the 60 bucks on steam or nah?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:22 am »

Just making sure there is no more out-of-nowhere great games simillar to long live the queen. Ones i know:
1. Long live the queen itself. Surprisingly, other games from same devs are rated from "meh"(partially because long live the queen is great)  to "utter garbage".
2. Seven kingdoms: princess problem. Still demo, but what demo!
3. Choice of rebels. Mostly story, but part that will mostly determine the ending is pretty much this, and getting some achievments is the same hair-puller. Most likely some of others " choice of games".
4. Princess maker, kinda.
What else?

I don't think there are too many more games that are mechanically and thematically similar to Princess Maker, and not many of those ever got translated into English.

one that's a little different but I'd recommend is Recettear, in which you play a girl who inherited her father's debt, and you have to run an item store for adventurers to try and pay it back. So, adventurers come into the store and try and hawk their dungeon loot to you, and you have to try and turn a profit. There's daily scheduling, economics and bartering with a range of characters, and some dungeon crawling to top up your resources and find rare items.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:14:00 am by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 21, 2018, 07:02:30 pm »

Any recommendations for building/construction games? I'm getting the urger to make buildings and what have you, but I'm down on Minecraft and Sky Wanderers is giving me troubles on bootcamp. The more open the game the better, but brownie points for NPCs, some kind of goals or quests, and factions or some kind of strategy element.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: January 21, 2018, 07:22:48 pm »

Any recommendations for building/construction games? I'm getting the urger to make buildings and what have you, but I'm down on Minecraft and Sky Wanderers is giving me troubles on bootcamp. The more open the game the better, but brownie points for NPCs, some kind of goals or quests, and factions or some kind of strategy element.

Voxel Turf? Essentially, it's Minecraft and SimCity rolled into one. And to a much smaller extent than advertised as far as I could tell, some GTA in there.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 21, 2018, 07:26:54 pm »

Doesn't necessarily have to be voxel. Could be like Garry's Mod or Far Cry's Map Editor.

Ill check out Voxel Turf!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 24, 2018, 05:40:33 am »

Any decent single-player games that have an in-depth item focused core game but aren't mind-numbingly sweet?

I really liked the mechanics of the Atelier series and the Recettear game for their crafting and economy focused aspects, but they're just so damned Japanese. Too much anime cutesy girl weeaboo trope crap. The core concept was great, but I can't stand the wrapper.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 24, 2018, 01:48:01 pm »

define item-focused?

You could try something like Factorio, which is 99% about crafting items. (1% about crafting items, which shoot other items, at angry, living items.)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: January 24, 2018, 01:56:15 pm »

Obligatory modded Minecraft suggestion. Punch things to get items. Turn those items into other items. Use those items that you crafted to gain stronger items. Gather hundreds of those stronger items in order to construct a huge item that can be used to double (or more) all of your future item acquisitions.

Item item item. The word has now lost all meaning.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: January 24, 2018, 03:00:22 pm »

"The Guild" series comes to mind. You build a dynasty, run businesses, build stuff. The Guild II was my favourite, but it is a very flawed and buggy game. The Guild III is in early access but I don't hold much hope for that one turning out well.

There's also Pixel Blacksmith on android (free). It's more similar in theme than gameplay though.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: January 24, 2018, 03:39:58 pm »

Any decent single-player games that have an in-depth item focused core game but aren't mind-numbingly sweet?

I really liked the mechanics of the Atelier series and the Recettear game for their crafting and economy focused aspects, but they're just so damned Japanese. Too much anime cutesy girl weeaboo trope crap. The core concept was great, but I can't stand the wrapper.
7 Days to Die.  Its like minecraft but less lego game and more game game.  You never need to build or dig (aside from breaking down locked doors) to navigate the environments.  During day you can gather resources and build in relative safety, during night the zombies become more aggressive.  Every 7 days you get attacked by an increasingly large horde of zombies.

Your character has skills and every item has a quality and durability.   The crafting and resource scavenging mechanics are pretty in depth and have some unusual mechanics, but I feel like discovering that is part of the fun so I won't go into too much detail.  But one example would be that if you have two guns of the same type and you know how to assemble that gun, you can take them both apart and then assemble a better gun out of the best components from both.

The game also does a good job of not *feeling* like a voxel world.  If you don't harvest or build the game looks about like any other game world, aside from buildings being a little overly flat.  Everything feels physically realistic, for example instead of placing walls you put frames down and then fill them in with the relevant material.  Its not a huge difference but it breaks immersion less than plopping down an already completed wall block.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 179