Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320128 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1605 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:19 pm »

Oxygen not Included!  The game has a combat system but 99% of the time it doesn't matter; there's only one creature in the game that can fight but its so peaceful and weak that it couldn't kill your starting characters unless you literally tried to make it.

The meat of the game is that you live in an asteroid which serves as a mostly closed system.  You need to produce oxygen and eliminate carbon dioxide to have a chance at survival.  You also need to produce power and food.  In order to do this you have to advance into the rest of the world, but all biomes but the starting are filled with things like poison gas, unlivable temperature, or a disease called miners lung slimelung.  So you need an influx of resources but it gets harder as the game goes on, and the challenge is trying to hit that next expansion milestone before you run out of juice.  I don't think they have quite the full amount of loot/lore/biomes that they would like in the finished game, and they certainly don't have enough difficulty options.  The based difficulty and the amount of exploration currently in the game has me still feeling like I'm just starting and I'm 48 hours in.

Probably the most incomplete thing is the research tree but that gets updated most frequently.  ATM its like Rimworld where you can get all the research decently quick and then you have no need for researchers.  But having all the research doesn't mean you'll have all the rare resources needed to actually use it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 21, 2018, 07:44:49 pm »

Any other ideas though?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 22, 2018, 09:49:42 am »

Are there any good newish basebuilding games? I'm bored and I'm looking for a basebuilding game that's kinda like factorio, except funner with more things to do, and I don't want to be forced to fight enemies if I don't want to. Also, I don't want something with zombies, or a minecraft clone. Also not so linear or 'base almost exclusively goes to research'. I'd also like something which has exploration involved, or at least makes exploration fun or interesting.

How about Stardew Valley?  Your base is your farm.  Has some exploration.  Maybe upgrades are linear, but you can go about it in a few ways.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 22, 2018, 09:53:33 am »

You will hardly get something that is more detailed then factory, but "Oxygen not included" is looking intresting, there is also this weird chemical making game that seems intresting.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1609 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:28 pm »

Ok, so this has been bugging me for a while...

Mandatory:
  • Low system requirements. Like, decrepit macbook low.
  • Multiplayer, but not MMO. At least 5 players, ideally more.
  • Low or no cost.
  • Primarily or wholly PvE.

Useful:
  • RPG or progression elements.
  • Drop-in/Drop-out multiplayer.
  • Open world or creative aspects.

We've tried factorio, minecraft, starbound, terrarria, and MOBAs in general; they were all close, but no cigar. Any ideas?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:33 pm »

Any chance that there's a game like Survival Crisis Z but free?

Or, at least, a fix that can make it run faster on Windows 10 (I already know the fix involving the .dll files, but the frame rate is really, really low...).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 01, 2018, 08:25:19 am »

Mandatory:
  • Low or no cost.

Useful:

We've tried factorio, minecraft, starbound, terrarria, and MOBAs in general; they were all close, but no cigar. Any ideas?

You might try Castle Crashers (and the newer Behemoth games), Torchlight II, Project Zomboid (open world), Hammerwatch, Baldur's Gate (or one of the old CRPGs) custom campaigns.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 01, 2018, 08:38:51 am »

<snip>

It takes a specific type of gamer but Wurm Unlimited could fit those requirements (unless you're one of those weirdos who runs OSX on your Macbook [HE SAYS TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK, seriously though, it's Windows/Linux only and unless your decrepit Macbook can handle Parallels/Bootcamp it's not happening]). It's $30 at the moment but it sometimes gets down to $9 or so. 2.6 GHz Core 2 DUO, four gigs of RAM, old-as-shit GPU. It's technically an "MMO" but some private servers have very low populations and if one of your friends has a spare computer you can set one up for yourself.

The server owner can choose between PvE and PvP, or even choose one and have some areas that are the opposite, like an arena or something.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 01, 2018, 09:09:59 am »

Doing another round, seeing if any games like this have slipped thru the cracks: does anyone know of any games where you have a personal hand in creating and expanding your own faction?

Im thinking of like, mount and blade, freeman guerrila warfare, df adventure mode, fallout 4, etc.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 01, 2018, 11:35:21 am »

Doing another round, seeing if any games like this have slipped thru the cracks: does anyone know of any games where you have a personal hand in creating and expanding your own faction?

Im thinking of like, mount and blade, freeman guerrila warfare, df adventure mode, fallout 4, etc.

Kenshi is the obvious one that comes to mind, though I'm sure there are others.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 06, 2018, 03:21:51 pm »

Not sure if it's appropriate asking this in this particular thread, but I'll venture to do so nevertheless. I've recently finished playing Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (PSP), liked the game a lot (engrossing gameplay, wonderful art style, excellent music, even story was decent, I found it really interesting, not particularly naive and thankfully not painful to follow I mean no panty hunt, incest, paedophilia and other embarrassing stuff we all love japanese cartoons for), and now I'm contemplating about playing some more games like it. So, how are Fire Emblem games similar to Tactics Ogre? I mean, am I going to like the former considering I very much enjoyed playing the latter? Which issue from the Fire Emblem series would you recommend?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:38:48 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 06, 2018, 03:33:53 pm »

Never played Tactics Ogre, but essentially Fire Emblems are just turn-based strategy games with RPG elements for each unit/character and permadeath.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 14, 2018, 12:24:57 am »

Anyway, I have recently been craving a game where you not only have the option of destroying an enemy outright, but also gives you the option to cripple them, giving them reduced functionality. I'm talking about stuff like Mechwarrior, Faster than light, V.A.T.S from the fallout games, etc.

I don't care if it's turn based or real-time, I just want to destroy some components.  :D

EDIT:

Any recommendations for building/construction games? I'm getting the urger to make buildings and what have you, but I'm down on Minecraft and Sky Wanderers is giving me troubles on bootcamp. The more open the game the better, but brownie points for NPCs, some kind of goals or quests, and factions or some kind of strategy element.
Have you considered Terraria? It's 2D but the building is still pretty in depth and it has NPCs, a loot based progression system, and goals to work towards (unlocking hardmode, killing plantera, and defeating the moonlord). Also it has a ton of content, tons of places to explore, and fun bosses to fight.

Anyone know of any fun games where the situation is more or less ever-devolving and horrible stuff happens to permanently screw with your run? A very good example would be Darkest Dungeon. I don't need it to be the same genre as Darkest Dungeon, I'm mostly looking for a game that forces you to deal with, minimize, and manage failure/loss and leads to memorable horrible moments.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown or XCOM 2

Aliens have invaded earth and you must command a squad of soldiers to stop them. As soldiers do missions they gain experience and level up, giving you a vital edge against the extra-terrestrial menace. But if you are clumsy and get a soldier killed, they and their experience points are gone forever. You are bound to experience a few deaths eventually.

Also, you have to capture and reverse engineer alien tech to create new equipment to improve your soldiers with. The alien menace is constantly getting stronger as well, and if you fall behind on your research (perhaps by failing too many missions), then they may eventually outpace you creating a threat that is simply too tough for you to beat. Does that sound like a game you'd like?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:47:15 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 14, 2018, 12:33:23 am »

Oops, double post
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 14, 2018, 03:11:32 am »

Mandatory:
  • Low or no cost.

Useful:

Path of Exile, Borderlands?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 179