Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320726 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1635 on: May 17, 2018, 11:46:56 pm »

There are games like XCOM and Darkest Dungeon where enough elements are randomly generated that you can create your own little tales, like the team who would not die, and whatnot.

I’d like you people of Bay12 to list other games that can create their own stories like this. Of course, I already know of Dwarf Fortress and Liberal Crime Squad, as well as Disgaea to some degree as well as Stellaris and Crusader Kings 2 (When those two aren’t about DLCs).

What other games are out there that can make their own tales?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 18, 2018, 12:55:56 am »

There are games like XCOM and Darkest Dungeon where enough elements are randomly generated that you can create your own little tales, like the team who would not die, and whatnot.

I’d like you people of Bay12 to list other games that can create their own stories like this. Of course, I already know of Dwarf Fortress and Liberal Crime Squad, as well as Disgaea to some degree as well as Stellaris and Crusader Kings 2 (When those two aren’t about DLCs).

What other games are out there that can make their own tales?

The two more prominent ones that come to mind are Battle Brothers and Mount & Blade Warband. But "tales" isn't much to go on.

May I recommend endless legend? It's like civ, but the factions are more unique.
Yeah I played it, didn't hook my interest.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 19, 2018, 04:20:36 pm »

Okay, so, have you seen the TVTropes "Awesome" pages for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2, and Darkest Dungeon? A number of the entries on that page are little stories players made involving their own (often randomly-generated) characters and the randomly-generated encounters and situations that arose, and how they managed to overcome those situations.

That's what I mean by tales. I understand that probably a lot of games are able to make stories like that to some degree, but hopefully that's a clearer picture.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 19, 2018, 04:36:07 pm »

I did that with FTL once, on a series of flights with really long layovers; I wrote up diary entries for every crew member, documenting every single jump.

...My favorite entry was the paranoia of the guy who was picked up from a random planet to fill in the slot somebody who died.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 19, 2018, 07:51:52 pm »

Okay, so, have you seen the TVTropes "Awesome" pages for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2, and Darkest Dungeon? A number of the entries on that page are little stories players made involving their own (often randomly-generated) characters and the randomly-generated encounters and situations that arose, and how they managed to overcome those situations.

That's what I mean by tales. I understand that probably a lot of games are able to make stories like that to some degree, but hopefully that's a clearer picture.

Then I double-down on battle brothers. The game seems like it was practically made for that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 20, 2018, 09:18:14 pm »

Can anyone think of a game where you start off incredibly weak and spend many many hours building up power, with the way you play the game changing as your grow? Preferably with personal fighting skills and construction of entire cities?

(See: Crusader Kings 2 or mount and blade)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 20, 2018, 11:25:54 pm »

Mobas?

Jokes aside, Dying light is also a good option. No city building, but it's very satisfying to see your character grow.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 21, 2018, 11:22:57 am »

Can anyone think of a game where you start off incredibly weak and spend many many hours building up power, with the way you play the game changing as your grow? Preferably with personal fighting skills and construction of entire cities?

(See: Crusader Kings 2 or mount and blade)

Kenshi?

Has basebuilding and a slow build-up of power.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 22, 2018, 05:16:06 am »

O yeah, Kenshi is on my wishlist, but I don't really buy early access games. Too much risk.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 22, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »

O yeah, Kenshi is on my wishlist, but I don't really buy early access games. Too much risk.

I don't own it, but I have a friend who's obsessed with it. From what I've heard, it seems like one of those games that's going to be perpetually in 'early access' like DF. There isn't really a point where it's going to be 'done', just when the devs slow down on releases.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 22, 2018, 02:26:01 pm »

I don't own it, but I have a friend who's obsessed with it. From what I've heard, it seems like one of those games that's going to be perpetually in 'early access' like DF. There isn't really a point where it's going to be 'done', just when the devs slow down on releases.

This is accurate.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #1646 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:29 pm »

Been bored of constantly replaying Fallout NV, so here I am.
Requirements:
Must be able to run on a potato (Rocking a pre-built from 2010 with a i3-2120 and iGPU, 6GB RAM)
Not a visual novel (burnt out from DDLC, various ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), and Phoenix Wright)
Not a sandbox
Helpful:
Not butt-ugly on low settings (lol gl there)
Haven't player racing games in a long time, but no NFS:U, U2, Carbon, or Most Wanted
Sci-fi themed, or anything in space really
Optional:
Multiplayer
Free
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 23, 2018, 09:50:37 pm »

Have you tried Hyper Light Drifter or Hollow Knight? Duskers. Zombie Night Terror. Streets of Rogue. Speedrunners. Shovel Knight. LISA. Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor. Crypt of the NecroDaner. CrossCode. The Banner Saga 1 + 2 and soon + 3. Axiom Verge.

I've really gotten into Indie gaming the past couple of years. Cultivated from my Steam installed games. Hyper Light Drifter and to a lesser extent Hollow Knight have some fairly open maps, but there is a VERY strong sense of progression and forward movement.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 25, 2018, 08:43:45 am »

That description you gave sounds eerily like Warframe.
It ticks all your boxes:

- runs on a potato yet still looks damn pretty (rocking a similarly meh build from a similar time period, with an i3-2100, Radeon HD 6850 and 4GB of RAM, yet it ran pretty swell for me)
- sci-fi and in space
- not a visual novel or a racing game (duh)
- not really sandbox-y (apart from the Plains of Eidolon/that one upcoming Venus area, I guess, but even then it's more "open ended" rather than "pure sandbox")
- multiplayer
- free
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:45:34 am by Mesa »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 25, 2018, 08:48:12 am »

That description you gave sounds eerily like Warframe.

Seconded - it's amazingly well optimised and runs on pretty much anything. Don't be put off that it's a F2P game, Warframe (and Path of Exile) are absolutely on par with their paid counterparts, and much better in a lot of ways. Neither game makes you pay any money, and it's not in terms of 'you don't have to pay but...' - you honestly don't.

It doesn't have a very strong story, but it's got enough lore/etc to keep you pushing forward, and it has a ton of content now.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 179