Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318505 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1650 on: May 25, 2018, 12:32:51 pm »

That description you gave sounds eerily like Warframe.

Seconded - it's amazingly well optimised and runs on pretty much anything. Don't be put off that it's a F2P game, Warframe (and Path of Exile) are absolutely on par with their paid counterparts, and much better in a lot of ways. Neither game makes you pay any money, and it's not in terms of 'you don't have to pay but...' - you honestly don't.

It doesn't have a very strong story, but it's got enough lore/etc to keep you pushing forward, and it has a ton of content now.

I get kind of annoyed every time someone says this about warframe. 90% of the game is grinding weapons, and warframes. Despite that, your inventory is incredibly limited. For example, There are 35(?) warframes and ~50% of those have a prime version so 50-ish total. You have 3 slots to store warframes without paying money. Weapons are almost as bad.

Even more insidious, most prime items (frames and weapons) are limited time, so if you sell it you might never be able to get it again. Also, some regular non-prime warframes come from quests and you can't repeat them, so if you sell them they are gone forever too.

Leveling up requires grinding weapons/frames, which requires grinding to get the materials for the weapon, so you might spend 5 - 10 hours grinding a single weapon (for materials + exp) then be forced to turn around and sell it for a token amount of credits because you can't level up anymore if your storage is full.

I don't even really care all that much about collecting one of everything, but I still eventually gave up in disgust because there was so much grinding to get something I'm just going to use for an hour and sell.

Someone will probably say you can earn premium currency ingame, which is true, but it's very much a "grind 500 hours for 3 cents per hour" type thing.

If you really, really don't care about that, then yeah the game is fine. The inventory is the only annoying part of the monitization.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 25, 2018, 01:48:29 pm »

Someone will probably say you can earn premium currency ingame, which is true, but it's very much a "grind 500 hours for 3 cents per hour" type thing.

I haven't played a game where getting premium currency was easier than warframe. It does involve time (grinding) and dealing with other players, but you can get a fair bit if you learn about what will sell well and put some time into it. I'm not wholly a fan of their approach to monetization, but I think getting the currency to buy new warframe and weapon slots is not all that hard. It's when you start wanting to buy cosmetic items and such that keeping up can be a struggle.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 26, 2018, 09:45:14 am »

I get kind of annoyed every time someone says this about warframe. 90% of the game is grinding weapons, and warframes. Despite that, your inventory is incredibly limited. For example, There are 35(?) warframes and ~50% of those have a prime version so 50-ish total. You have 3 slots to store warframes without paying money. Weapons are almost as bad.

I think it really depends on what you want out of a game and how you play it. I played warframe to go through the story, try out a few different frames and have a bash at a bit of end game content and play some stuff with friends, but I wasn't bothered about doing any thing 'serious' with it.

I never really felt the need to 'grind' other than the typical grind for a 'levelling&loot' style game - sure I played through some bosses 5-6 times to get the parts I needed, but nothing excessive.

It's not perfect in every way, but overall, it's probably one of the best games that fits Mesa's criteria.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: June 02, 2018, 07:18:34 pm »

Any good games about fencing/swordplay? Especially something kind of Dark Souls-y. Not Nidhogg or Sid Meier's Pirates.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: June 02, 2018, 08:34:56 pm »

Maybe Chivalry-Medieval Warfare is what you’re looking for?

Swordplay that involves directional attacks, feints, one class can dodge, - pulling it off takes a good deal of skill.

Or just use the maul and hope you hit.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: June 02, 2018, 11:21:54 pm »

O yeah, Kenshi is on my wishlist, but I don't really buy early access games. Too much risk.
As far as I can tell you're pretty much getting a full game experience as-is.
I've never been able to play very far into it, though, since it barely runs on my laptop.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: June 02, 2018, 11:56:50 pm »

Been bored of constantly replaying Fallout NV, so here I am.
Requirements:
Must be able to run on a potato (Rocking a pre-built from 2010 with a i3-2120 and iGPU, 6GB RAM)
Not a visual novel (burnt out from DDLC, various ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), and Phoenix Wright)
Not a sandbox
Helpful:
Not butt-ugly on low settings (lol gl there)
Haven't player racing games in a long time, but no NFS:U, U2, Carbon, or Most Wanted
Sci-fi themed, or anything in space really
Optional:
Multiplayer
Free

Dunno if you've heard about Space Station 13 but it's sci fi, pixel based and top down. Developed on an engine used in the 90s and playable with 1GB of ram.

Emergent sci-fi game where you are on a space station with other people and need to do your job / survive. Not exactly a sand box but there is no plot and the story comes from the interactions of the players. EDIT: Also free.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: June 03, 2018, 10:21:45 am »

Do keep in mind, however, that the controls can be very, very difficult to get used to - so don't pick some super critical role right off the bat like Captain.

Also keep in mind that you might die very, very easily, whether through accident, murder, or anything else.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: June 03, 2018, 11:11:42 am »

Any good games about fencing/swordplay? Especially something kind of Dark Souls-y. Not Nidhogg or Sid Meier's Pirates.
Best bet is Exanima, I'd say.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: June 03, 2018, 11:16:14 am »

Best bet is Exanima, I'd say.
Oh, this looks heckin' cool!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: June 03, 2018, 01:28:20 pm »

I was going to suggest Exanima, but there are a lot of complaints that they just stopped developing it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: June 03, 2018, 05:22:19 pm »

As someone who owns it I can definitely say as is, it's worth more money than superhot. On the other hand, I don't think such scummy development tactics should be supported financially.

Do keep in mind, however, that the controls can be very, very difficult to get used to - so don't pick some super critical role right off the bat like Captain.

Also keep in mind that you might die very, very easily, whether through accident, murder, or anything else.
The community is also very shit and elitist. They don't like noob players. Tutorials suggest you start off by playing as an assistant, but that's a great way to get a target put on your back and become instabanned. Such a shame though, otherwise it's a good game.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: June 03, 2018, 08:01:30 pm »

The community is also very shit and elitist. They don't like noob players. Tutorials suggest you start off by playing as an assistant, but that's a great way to get a target put on your back and become instabanned. Such a shame though, otherwise it's a good game.

Eh. It depends a lot of which server you go to. It's been so long that I'm not sure which servers are good anymore, but some were definitely more shit than others. Assistants are synonymous with griefers on many servers which is why they get such a bad rap. Starting as a Cargo Technician or similar low effort, low expectations job is a much better idea. That's mostly my opinion at least.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: June 03, 2018, 08:39:14 pm »

@Heydude: I have never had such a bad experience with the community... even jumping into a role like engineer and being told to set up the engine, only to stammer the standard excuse "uh, well, I kinda slept through engineering school" generally gets you some entertaining, in-character abuse but that's about it, apart from a crash course on how to play.
As USEC said, it depends entirely on what server you go to. Obviously low-RP shitfests and dens of furries are best avoided.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: June 03, 2018, 09:19:00 pm »

And apparently Colonial Marines is still an absolutely miserable experience from what I've heard. Glad to know that while some things might change, other things stay the same.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 179