Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320907 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1680 on: June 07, 2018, 11:59:32 am »

There are a whole lot of total war games.  Last one I played was years ago, probably Shogun 2 or Medieval 2.

What is a good one to pick up?  I don't even mind looking at one of the older ones.
Criteria:
Not too heavy on the magic full stacks or at the very least has decent autobattle balancing so that I don't have to deal with it.  Cause it gets really old and stupid wiping out the same full stacks, every turn or 2. 
Being fixed by up-to-date mods is valid alternative.

Quality of life features.  Whatever they may be.

EDIT: Also any other game that is similar-ish is fine, real-time battles rather then turn based.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:03:28 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 07, 2018, 01:49:02 pm »

Ultimate General? Napoleon: Total War? Attila?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 07, 2018, 02:03:42 pm »

The general consensus seems to be that the best Total War games are Medieval II, Shogun II, and the Warhammer games, so those would probably be the best to start with. Which one probably depends on whether you like Medieval Knights, Samurai, or Fantasy races fighting each other.

If none of those appeal to you, I'd recommend Total War Attila or maybe Napoleon. Autoresolve isn't the strongest feature in Total War games, but I know the Warhammer autoresolve is decent, at least on lower difficulties. Warhammer and Attila are the most recent, so they probably have the best mods.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 07, 2018, 03:15:31 pm »

Its kind of sad how much Medieval holds up to their later fare IMO.  They went all out with the combat animations (moreso than they did in the later ones) and there's an expansion that adds 4 smaller standalone maps (British Isles, Tuetonic Knights, central/north America in the time of the conquistadors, and Crusades).  Really a labor of love.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 08, 2018, 03:44:48 am »

I got a Nintendo WII at goodwill recently and according to what I read about them they can play all GameCube the games as well as Wii games.

So I'd like some recommendations when it comes to Wii and GameCube games.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 08, 2018, 06:29:21 am »

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? Didn't played it much, though, so i know only that Ordon people's faces are HIDEOUS.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:06 am »

Alright, I'll content myself with Shogun 2 for the time being.  Seeing as there is no sale going on.

Now that I put a few hours in... are there any that does a better implementation of the internal politics part?

(Is loyalty essentially just a player-only mechanic?  Seeing how many generals I tend to kill in a prolonged war...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 08, 2018, 01:46:27 pm »

I personally can't stand Goonstation, but whatever floats your boat.
Glad you gave it another shot!

Really depends on the server honestly. Although there is 100% a lot of pretentious RP bs. Kinda like MUDs...
That's the entire point of the game, though. ???   
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about goonstation? It's the only server I've played on so far so I'm curious to hear what I'm missing out on.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 08, 2018, 08:26:49 pm »

I'm trying to look for a game where you explore while inside a mobile base of some kind. I don't really mind the setting, whether it's space, underwater, on land, as long as I can modify the base and it's mobile and exploration is involved. A great example is Subnautica with the submarine Cyclops.

Anyone have any ideas?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 08, 2018, 10:51:15 pm »

Raft? Skywanderers?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 09, 2018, 05:20:53 am »

Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead has mobile base and nonmobile base building.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 09, 2018, 11:45:34 pm »

I'm trying to look for a game where you explore while inside a mobile base of some kind. I don't really mind the setting, whether it's space, underwater, on land, as long as I can modify the base and it's mobile and exploration is involved. A great example is Subnautica with the submarine Cyclops.

Anyone have any ideas?

Space Engineers lets you build a spaceship that can be large enough to be a base.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 10, 2018, 03:20:56 am »

Anyone have any ideas?

Space Engineers lets you build a spaceship that can be large enough to be a base.

I think Starmade also can be played like this. Though I haven't played it recently to know to what degree. Resource gathering was kind of tedious with large amounts required from what I remember.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 13, 2018, 06:05:29 am »

Looking for a decent single-player RPG for PC. Something exceedingly traditional in scope a la farmboy that goes from quests for killing rats in the basement of the local tavern up to battling ancient horrors that threaten to destroy the world. Party system would be nice, and I'm a fan of turn based combat moreso than pausing and unpausing to issue commands every six seconds.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 13, 2018, 06:56:01 am »

Looking for a decent single-player RPG for PC. Something exceedingly traditional in scope a la farmboy that goes from quests for killing rats in the basement of the local tavern up to battling ancient horrors that threaten to destroy the world. Party system would be nice, and I'm a fan of turn based combat moreso than pausing and unpausing to issue commands every six seconds.

Well there's the Dungeon Siege games where you start scraping the bottom and eventually becomes something noteworthy; on the first one you start as a farmer beating bugs from your yard and the second one has you being a prisioner doing chores like cleaning the forest from goblins or such.
Those are squad-based RPGs, as it seems to be your preference, but are real-time rather than turn-based. It also has coop but I have no idea is someone still plays it nowadays.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 179