Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320560 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1725 on: October 18, 2018, 05:10:44 am »

I'm suddenly so into synthwave. I need something to play while listening to synthwave, that is not Amiga's Outrun. Thx!

I tend to play short-session games like Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon while listening to music.

They don't mix thematically but it is not something like a strategy game or minecraft where I need to think about what I am doing and therefore find music distracting. I tend to space out and just play.

Whether you can do that or not with an 'active' game like a shooter will depend on how familiar you are with it, I guess. I have way too many hours in BoI so it is somewhat rote at this point, but <100 when I was still collecting items and learning enemies, music may have been a distraction then.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: October 18, 2018, 01:21:31 pm »

Maybe Heat Signature while playing synthwave?

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: October 19, 2018, 11:19:13 pm »

I'm looking for a game that has similar combat to Dwarf Fortress where each body part is simulated rather than beating each other's HP down to 0. The few games I know has this are DF, Unreal World and NEO Scavenger. Cataclysm doesn't count because while the player has body parts enemies actually don't.

Anyone know any other games like that?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: October 20, 2018, 01:05:14 am »

There’s IVAN, a graphical roguelike (though you can’t aim for a specific part in that game)

Rimworld, a dwarf fortress like but it’s sci-fi and has guns. Also, I don’t think you can play as a lone adventurer.

I’ll recommend Receiver again. I mentioned it in the past so if you use the search function you should be able to find my full review

The other games I’m about to mention aren’t exactly what you’re asking for, but they might scratch an itch.

There’s the fallout franchise (breaking a deathclaw’s legs is surprisingly useful)

If you own a VR set then you got to play Robo Recall! The robots you fight are fragile in a lot of ways. You can rip off limbs and also you can throw them. If you shoot their legs while they’re running then they’ll trip. There are other interactions as well.

Wish I could offer more. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of games like this out there.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: October 20, 2018, 07:47:10 am »

Kenshi, which also has a thread on this forum, has a system where characters get hit in various parts and may even lose limbs, requiring prosthetics to function normally. Can't manually aim here.

There's Die by the Sword, where you can lop off someone's sword arm, then pick it up and use it as a weapon (as it's still grasping the sword).

Bushido Blade, an old PS1 game, is a fighting game where every hit counts and can disable a character's arm, leg, or outright insta-kill.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: October 20, 2018, 10:40:47 pm »

I just realize that you might like the dead space franchise. It’s a series of horror games where you have to shoot off the monster’s limbs. In theory you could just kill them the old fashioned damage sponge way, but it’s very inefficient.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: October 20, 2018, 11:44:45 pm »

The game has a way of beating you over the head with it, though - not only does the game have an early-on piece of writing saying "CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS" in addition to a character mentioning it, the in-game R.I.G.-provided tutorial says you should cut off limbs.

Apparently the later games in the series are a whole lot easier and more action-y, too, so don't expect to be terrified later on.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: October 22, 2018, 01:30:38 pm »

The game has a way of beating you over the head with it, though - not only does the game have an early-on piece of writing saying "CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS" in addition to a character mentioning it, the in-game R.I.G.-provided tutorial says you should cut off limbs.

Apparently the later games in the series are a whole lot easier and more action-y, too, so don't expect to be terrified later on.
Number 3 also make shooting the head and/or just outright killing them to death far more viable. Even preferable at times. And excepting the one dude that makes one or two appearances in every game, it's more just "their arms and legs are their head, shoot them to make a dead" rather than "weaken and slow them down by attacking these non-vital points".

There's, um... Toribash? Toribash is really its own thing though, so I don't know if that counts. And nothing's vital, more "important" bodyparts just yield more points when destroyed. There are replays of people ripping their own heads off and still winning on account of the points they earned from throwing the severed head at their opponent.

Catacomb Kids has some minor stuff with ripping/slashing arms/legs off, but generally speaking the victim of such dismemberment either died from the blow or will be dying very shortly to the followup, and it's not a very detailed body system as such. Code exists for making peglegs and the like, though.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: October 23, 2018, 04:42:40 pm »

Dead Space 1 is great as a survival horror, and 2 is great as a more 'action-y horror' (I'd say one of the best).  Three is a bit rubbish, but the first two are really immersive horror games with a definite focus on limb based damage. It can be a bit OTT in terms of 'CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS NOW JUST DO IT JUST CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS NOTHING ELSE WORKS JUST DO IT' written on every surface, but they really are good survival horror type games.

If you're not a fan of horror games they're not *too* scary. They're solid monster horror and whilst there are a few jump scares the third person view and slight ageing of the graphics should help offset that a bit.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: October 24, 2018, 10:02:25 am »

If you're not a fan of horror games they're not *too* scary. They're solid monster horror and whilst there are a few jump scares the third person view and slight ageing of the graphics should help offset that a bit.
*Balloon animal squawking noise*

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: October 25, 2018, 09:57:49 pm »

Dead Space 1 is great as a survival horror, and 2 is great as a more 'action-y horror' (I'd say one of the best).

Dead Space 1 totally nailed the vibe, for me.  Sight, sound, the dev team did an amazing job.  I had avoided any gameplay videos or any kind of spoilers, other than the normal trailer, so I went into the game blind.  On the first play-through, not knowing how everything worked, the game was just... daunting.

There's one spot, fairly early, where you have to go into the morgue to get something from the captain's body.  Standing at the doorway, you can see the trail you have to take (blocked out by body bags), to the smaller room where you have to go.  I literally sat at the computer for several minutes, just looking around the (game) room, because I KNEW something was going to attack me when I went in.  The entire atmosphere of the game was just amazing.

And of course, later play-throughs just didn't have that magic.  You knew how to take down enemies, knew where the room borders were, where certain things wouldn't step out and follow you.  But man, that first game was fantastic.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: October 25, 2018, 10:55:36 pm »

Dead Space 1 is kinda... the magnum opus of the horror genre? (Dead Space 2 is also p good, mind you)

Like there are other great horror games (even great sci-fi horror games), but Dead Space 1 is just... ungh, mechanics, story, it's pretty close to perfect.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: October 27, 2018, 09:25:18 am »

Dead Space 1 is kinda... the magnum opus of the horror genre? (Dead Space 2 is also p good, mind you)

Like there are other great horror games (even great sci-fi horror games), but Dead Space 1 is just... ungh, mechanics, story, it's pretty close to perfect.

Nothing beats Silent Hill 2 in the horror category. Whilst Dead Space 1 was great and had some genuinely scary bits, it was mostly jump scares for the horror aspect - it couldn't quite capture the feeling of complete isolation and dread that SH2 did, but I'd say no other games have really managed since (RE6 came close at the start, and a The Dark Descent had a good stab too).

I'd say Dead Space 1 is the best action-horror game hands down though.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1738 on: October 27, 2018, 10:32:38 am »

I'm a Silent Hill fan, but I think Darkwood achieves the same level of tension AND actually fun action. Dead Space isn't scary on replay, I would say Silent Hill and Darkwood are though. All 3 games have a really well realized world with a good atmosphere.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:34:37 am by Parsely »

Acel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: October 29, 2018, 04:51:14 am »

I would recommend Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Game itself is expensive but totally worth it. Plot of the came sucks you into Raider world.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 179