Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 321072 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1800 on: February 16, 2019, 08:24:54 pm »

Fable, perhaps?

not too sold on the graphic style, bit too cartoony.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: February 17, 2019, 12:58:48 am »

If you're fine with a post-apocalyptic setting (or some might argue it's more post-post-apocalyptic) Fallout: New Vegas sounds like it fits all your criteria perfectly. Runs well on almost anything, has gathering, cooking (which actually useful), other kinds of crafting, 1st & 3rd person view, good amount of character customization.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 17, 2019, 03:18:30 pm »

If you're fine with a post-apocalyptic setting (or some might argue it's more post-post-apocalyptic) Fallout: New Vegas sounds like it fits all your criteria perfectly. Runs well on almost anything, has gathering, cooking (which actually useful), other kinds of crafting, 1st & 3rd person view, good amount of character customization.

I'd second this - it sounds to be what you're after. Tons of mods as well to get it survival-y enough for you.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 17, 2019, 03:22:09 pm »

FO:NV has lower reqs than Skyrim?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 17, 2019, 03:43:46 pm »

FO:NV has lower reqs than Skyrim?

Yup, drastically lower.
Requires 128mb of graphical RAM, 2gb of system ram and 2ghz dual core processor, whereas Skyrim needs roughly double that

However, FONV can be made to run on even lower quite easily - I've seen it run on pretty much anything.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: February 18, 2019, 01:15:43 am »

And as an additional note: You'll need 4GB patcher (Unless you use GOG version, where it's already implemented), New Vegas Anti-Crash (mandatory if you play on Win10), and Unofficial Patch (SHITLOAD of bugfixes). I love the game, but it's rough in places like stability and bugs.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: February 18, 2019, 04:11:42 am »

And as an additional note: You'll need 4GB patcher (Unless you use GOG version, where it's already implemented), New Vegas Anti-Crash (mandatory if you play on Win10), and Unofficial Patch (SHITLOAD of bugfixes). I love the game, but it's rough in places like stability and bugs.

Agreed - thanks for adding that, it's almost a mandatory disclaimer whenever NV is recommended!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1807 on: February 18, 2019, 04:55:25 am »

I basically agree with you.

Oh okay, now I see what you mean.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 18, 2019, 06:49:57 am »

Can anybody recommend me a good survival game with a decent crafting and construction system?

No Minecraft, Terraria, or other cartoony games. I'm only after single player, nothing with online play like DayZ. I'd prefer no horror themed or zombie style survival games.

Basically I want a man-vs-nature game, where you struggle to survive against the environment, natural hazards and wildlife, and craft the tools to craft the tools to thrive despite the odds.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 18, 2019, 07:09:45 am »

Cataclysm Dark days ahead has most of those things but is zombie themed, other wise the only thing I can think of is UnReal world.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 18, 2019, 07:24:22 am »

NEOscavenger is a survival game with crafting elements, but definitely takes a bit more of a horror theme. Also whether or not it's "good" is a rather subjective matter. Not much "construction" though, unless you count tarp tents.

I'm pretty sure they fixed the thing where whiskey makes your blood explode, but I haven't played it in a while. Remember to drink your antibacterial bark tea and wear your squirrel gloves.

Otherwise, I'd say UnReal World is probably the ticket. There's also The Forest, which is balanced around being horror themed, but you can turn off the cannibals and just faff around in nature. It's not particularly challenging in a purely man vs. wild sense though.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 18, 2019, 08:18:21 am »

Oh, come on. Subnautica!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:40 am »

Oh, come on. Subnautica!
That is both cartoony and horror at the same time.

But yeah, it has survival and crafting/construction.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 18, 2019, 08:26:06 am »

What? No, it's neither. It's pure man vs nature. Seriously, it's like we played two different games or something.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 18, 2019, 09:00:36 am »

Giant unknown terrors in the deep? Transparent teleporting alien electric octopuses?
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 179