Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318431 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1875 on: July 18, 2019, 09:49:35 pm »

Might check out the eschalon games, or some of spiderweb software's works (avadon, geneforge, avernum). They're more low-fi than the titles you're mentioning (probably ignore the non-remake older stuff of spiderweb's, honestly), but they have their charms.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 18, 2019, 11:40:39 pm »

Oh wow, Age of Decadence is AMAZING, it actually is an RPG where your choices pretty drastically changes the outcome of each stage--not to mention the specialization required. I love it.

Any other games like AoD? Not that I'm even close to done, but this has rekindled my interest in CRPGs.

Preferably ones that are extremely stat driven, story driven, and encourage exploration. While I'm having the time of my life with AoD, I can't really get into the Baldur's Gate series. Same thing with Pillars of Eternity, although PoE 2 and Tyranny held my interest for slightly longer (mostly to get to the end of the story).

EDIT: I heard Darklands is really good?
I had loads of trouble getting into baldurs gate 1 mainly thanks to the fact that you are 1) very low level the entire game, and 2) The map is so big that its very easy to get lost. Balurs gate 2 on the other hand is pretty much an entirely different game and (in my opinion) is way more fun, not only due to the level difference which fundamentally changes combat but also because its much more compact.

So yeah, try skipping BG1 and just play BG2. You may still just bounce off it of course, but you might not.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 19, 2019, 01:47:25 am »

On the flip side, BG1's low level range means that every time your wild surge manages to cast cloudkill (lvl4 and below: Death. Lvl 5-6: Save at -4 or Death), some very funny things can happen.

Age of Decadence is a very peculiar beast though, and not very much like BG... Darklands is not much like either, but I'd say it shares more with BG than AoD. It takes a fair bit of getting used to though, and there's not real story pushing you along; you just make your own story as you go and try to survive.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1878 on: July 19, 2019, 01:54:01 pm »

Oh wow, Age of Decadence is AMAZING, it actually is an RPG where your choices pretty drastically changes the outcome of each stage--not to mention the specialization required. I love it.

Any other games like AoD? Not that I'm even close to done, but this has rekindled my interest in CRPGs.

Preferably ones that are extremely stat driven, story driven, and encourage exploration. While I'm having the time of my life with AoD, I can't really get into the Baldur's Gate series. Same thing with Pillars of Eternity, although PoE 2 and Tyranny held my interest for slightly longer (mostly to get to the end of the story).

EDIT: I heard Darklands is really good?
I fucking know right?? I highly recommend Eschalon Book 1, 2, and 3. Eschalon Book 1 is free, everyone who likes RPGs should try it

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: August 06, 2019, 09:12:11 am »

Anything similar to Fire Emblem Three Houses for pc?

I would thank you forever ...
It doesn't need to have fancy graphics.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: August 07, 2019, 08:13:24 pm »

Anything similar to Fire Emblem Three Houses for pc?

I would thank you forever ...
It doesn't need to have fancy graphics.

Valkyria Chronicles? It doesn't have the social link stuff from what I remember but it is similar in that it has tons of characters and is a tactical JRPG. Valkyria Chronicles 4 came out on PC recently as well.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: August 07, 2019, 09:13:54 pm »

One thing I found a headache about Valkyria Chronicles is that, like most console>PC ports, the controls aren't too great with KB/M. (And maybe it's my tastes changing over the years, but oh my goodness, so much exposition that can't be sped up... either at a glacial cutscene pace or skipped entirely.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1882 on: August 14, 2019, 07:07:29 am »

Any suggestions for relatively casual games to play with friends? We've got one in the US, one in the EU, and one in Africa, so super-ping-dependent things are a no. Also cheap or free is nice 'cause I'm broke. >_>

Magicka, Risk of Rain 2, and Paladins have been fun in the past, although Paladins only really works because I also play it fairly non-casually otherwise and can offer a lot of advice.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: August 14, 2019, 08:15:28 am »

I enjoyed Ultimate Chicken Horse and Helldivers.
The former is about quick, dirty, and silly competitive matches. The latter is basically co-op Starship Troopers (the film moreso than the book). Both are about $15 full price and a few years old now, so discounts can be large.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: August 16, 2019, 01:31:50 am »

Are there any other roguelikes/RPGs/tactics games with a focus on bleeding and subsystem damage similar to Dwarf Fortress? Not necessarily as complex, but definitely more complex than the systems seen in Fallout 1 and 2 or Deus Ex, where the seperate body parts are essentially just health bars.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: August 16, 2019, 03:58:04 am »

Are there any other roguelikes/RPGs/tactics games with a focus on bleeding and subsystem damage similar to Dwarf Fortress? Not necessarily as complex, but definitely more complex than the systems seen in Fallout 1 and 2 or Deus Ex, where the seperate body parts are essentially just health bars.
Have you played NeoScavenger? It's a survival rpg with some roguelike elements. It has a complex wound system where different body parts can bleed with different detrimental outcomes and you can get infected.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: August 16, 2019, 05:05:53 am »

Have you played NeoScavenger? It's a survival rpg with some roguelike elements. It has a complex wound system where different body parts can bleed with different detrimental outcomes and you can get infected.
While it is a complicated wound system, it's not really a complicated limb system, unless something's changed in the undoubtedly many versions since I last played.

Can you still explode your blood from drinking a bottle of whiskey? I always thought that was funny.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: August 16, 2019, 05:39:59 am »

UnReal World has a complex wound system, iirc.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:16 am »

Kenshi?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: August 16, 2019, 07:52:31 am »

IVAN? You can lose limbs (walking on broken glass, explosions, etc.), then pray to a god who likes you, and hope they gift you new limbs made of a better material. The material systems and weird things that get modeled are interesting. The game itself is mostly "the engine scales encounters to you level and equipment, so you should min-max or game the system to handle that."
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 179