Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320836 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1890 on: August 16, 2019, 02:24:11 pm »

I have an itch for a new 2D space combat-and-trading game. Of the Space Rangers variety.

I've been looking at a few:
Starsector
Starcom: Nexus
Star Traders: Frontiers
Gaia: Beyond
Wayward Terran Frontier: Zero Falls

Has anyone played at least a couple of those, and can weigh on which they found to be better (and why)?
Please, limit your recommendations to the games on the list, unless you think there's something definitely superior out there.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: August 16, 2019, 02:33:54 pm »

I am going to take advantage of the "unless you think there's something definitely superior" clause to mention Transcendence. It's pretty neat. And free, which is pretty neat too.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: August 16, 2019, 02:36:41 pm »

See, I didn't want people to go off the list, because I don't want to follow up with two pages of 'no, I played this already' responses.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: August 19, 2019, 09:30:58 am »

Are there any other roguelikes/RPGs/tactics games with a focus on bleeding and subsystem damage similar to Dwarf Fortress? Not necessarily as complex, but definitely more complex than the systems seen in Fallout 1 and 2 or Deus Ex, where the seperate body parts are essentially just health bars.

IVAN? You can lose limbs (walking on broken glass, explosions, etc.), then pray to a god who likes you, and hope they gift you new limbs made of a better material. The material systems and weird things that get modeled are interesting. The game itself is mostly "the engine scales encounters to you level and equipment, so you should min-max or game the system to handle that."

Oh geez. As I recall, you can get some really good, and really, REALLY bad stuff by intentionally trying to replace your limbs... One time, I believe I ended up with one arm of diamond, another arm of... phoenix feather?... and a leg of BANANA. Omnomnom.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: August 21, 2019, 04:16:47 pm »

I have an itch for a new 2D space combat-and-trading game. Of the Space Rangers variety.

I've been looking at a few:
Starsector
Starcom: Nexus
Star Traders: Frontiers
Gaia: Beyond
Wayward Terran Frontier: Zero Falls

Has anyone played at least a couple of those, and can weigh on which they found to be better (and why)?
Please, limit your recommendations to the games on the list, unless you think there's something definitely superior out there.

I've only played Startraders frontiers, and find it an addictive grind-fest yet lacking in variety, in spite of it's promise of having numerous play-styles. It's really a mediocre card game  diluted by tedious space travel , okayish semi-tactical space-combat and not very interesting boarding combat.  To be honest, I prefer Pirates Gold.   If i could spend the money again , i'd take a punt  on StarSector. 

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: August 22, 2019, 06:43:56 pm »

Star Sector... Oh boy...

I haven't really organized my thoughts on the game, but I will say it's basically Space Mount and Blade.

In other words:

I highly recommend it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: August 26, 2019, 07:22:21 am »

Thanks fellas. I did go with Starsector and it's indeed a very good game. Not what I thought it'd be, as it's much more of a fleet simulator than a lone wolf space cowboy adventure.
The comparison with M&B is apt - once you stop and think about it, it has most of the same elements with near-identical implementation (but IN SPACE): from directly controlling just a single entity, through assembling and commanding a task force, to gaining and developing real estate in support of large-scale operations. A strong exploration element sets it apart.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: August 31, 2019, 01:16:26 pm »

Anything similar to Fire Emblem Three Houses for pc?

I would thank you forever ...
It doesn't need to have fancy graphics.

Valkyria Chronicles? It doesn't have the social link stuff from what I remember but it is similar in that it has tons of characters and is a tactical JRPG. Valkyria Chronicles 4 came out on PC recently as well.

Thank you. I'm having some fun... I'm not exactly a fan of the movement system, but V. Chronicles is kinda fun.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 15, 2019, 04:15:15 pm »

Any strategy games where you produce modern-ish units from cities/provinces but are not always at war? You build up your country and have individual units? Im thinking something between Supreme Ruler and Civilization. I like the idea of having fighter jets and tanks garrisoned and needed when diplomacy fails.

Or maybe a city builder with modern units? I am craving equal parts war and peace. Ive been playing a lot of Vic 2 but want something more modern/cold war.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 15, 2019, 09:59:20 pm »

Any strategy games where you produce modern-ish units from cities/provinces but are not always at war? You build up your country and have individual units? Im thinking something between Supreme Ruler and Civilization. I like the idea of having fighter jets and tanks garrisoned and needed when diplomacy fails.

Or maybe a city builder with modern units? I am craving equal parts war and peace. Ive been playing a lot of Vic 2 but want something more modern/cold war.

I remember diplomacy being reasonable in Alpha Centauri. Have any of the other civ. games been that good?

Edit: Also, I guess that's what I want recommended. Alpha Centauri again. I think Beyond Space was supposed to be a quarter-assed version of that, but I want a new one. Just as much lore, and character, and interesting ideas. Maybe with a modern civ formula if it's any sort of improvement.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:05:53 pm by Iduno »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 15, 2019, 10:12:18 pm »

Anybody know something like Kenshi that doesn't make my PC hot enough to cook eggs?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 16, 2019, 02:29:24 am »

Anybody know something like Kenshi that doesn't make my PC hot enough to cook eggs?
"Like Kenshi" in what ways? Kenshi as a whole is an extremely ambitious project, and it's quite rare to find all its aspects together in the same game (which is most of what makes it stand out). Which parts do you play the most/are most looking for?

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 16, 2019, 05:20:05 am »

I remember diplomacy being reasonable in Alpha Centauri. Have any of the other civ. games been that good?

Edit: Also, I guess that's what I want recommended. Alpha Centauri again. I think Beyond Space was supposed to be a quarter-assed version of that, but I want a new one. Just as much lore, and character, and interesting ideas. Maybe with a modern civ formula if it's any sort of improvement.

Thanks, I played Alpha Centauri for more than 1000 hours when I was younger. I'll give it a retry. I play a lot of Civ 4 now, the ai is amazing and fun, but Im tired of ancient world/fantasy settings. I tried Beyond Space, its competent but has nothing really compelling about it at all. Lots of other games do what it does better nowadays.
I want a game where Im building a few divisions or few fighter wings and choosing when and where to use them. Its a shame HOI4 ai is terrible.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 16, 2019, 05:34:30 am »

Thanks, I played Alpha Centauri for more than 1000 hours when I was younger. I'll give it a retry. I play a lot of Civ 4 now, the ai is amazing and fun, but Im tired of ancient world/fantasy settings.
Have you tried the Dune Wars mod for Civ4? In many ways it's still Civ4, so it's limited in that way. But on the other hand, it's the most comprehensively successful total conversion, with a number of completely new systems implemented, and an unparalleled atmosphere.

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 16, 2019, 07:04:29 am »

Im trying the Dune Wars mod now and not really feeling it. It inspired my desire modern warfare units. Maybe Im looking for a country simulator type game or a AD 1404 type game. There used to be so many good ones back in the day but I cant remember the names.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 179