Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 321003 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1905 on: September 16, 2019, 11:46:43 pm »

"Like Kenshi" in what ways? Kenshi as a whole is an extremely ambitious project, and it's quite rare to find all its aspects together in the same game (which is most of what makes it stand out). Which parts do you play the most/are most looking for?

The RPG elements were the most engaging for me - open world is nice, but could use more randomization. Setting/genre itself isn't a big deal, always open to sci-fi, whatever. I have a soft-spot for tactical RPGs.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 17, 2019, 12:46:53 am »

This is probably super niche. But I'm not exactly looking for a city builder, but an empire builder.

To start with that helps explain what I'm looking for...

in deity wars I can do 1 AI and a MASSIVE map of 2500 by 2500 (my pc can't do larger than that in that game). So literally for a huge portion of the game I just build up my empire, build units and fight the "wildlife"

In stellaris is another example though generally not too big into space 4x games (do like Aurora 4x though a ton one of my favorite games ever). But it is an example. I can have no AI at all, just pirates and all alone in space to build up my space empire.

Another example is Civ 4 with caveman 2 cosmos mod. I can literally play with no AI at all on massive maps, but the AI does spawn randomly throughout the game/over time.

In all examples, its a very long (and to some maybe boring) peaceful game of building up but generally a massive 1vs1 war happens toward the end of battles of epic proportions. In deity wars is a good example of that where battles are insane and huge against two massive empires.

So three examples hopefully that get to explain what I'm looking for, because its a bit hard to explain. See city builders are cool, I like banished and cities skylines but they aren't really what I'm looking for nor tropico. I want to make a huge empire, build forts, build walls, build military and build up for a long time before fighting

Of course a 4th example is aurora 4x as the best #1 example. You can make no AI spawn at all or make the AI spawn super super super rarely or as common as you want. Best game for this ever.

Kinda anti-strategy I suppose and leans more toward the city builder route but not...total war is the opposite of what I'm looking for, too much warring very early on with constant non-stop battles where the AI cheats and gets a full stack in one turn (I hate that but thats another topic lol). Paradox games generally same as far as conquering goes early on, except stellaris.

They DO exist but I only know of four that I already listed. But this seems incredibly niche and hard to find games for in this route. Because generally, strategy is conquering and fighting as soon as the game starts, not building a massive empire for a long time kinda like a city builder then fighting. But I like in aurora 4x, space is lonely as hell and its just you and your people exploring the stars, building a fleet for no reason except in case maybe something is out there and maybe one day something is found. The loneliest experience I've had in a strategy game let alone any game lol.

besides the 4 I listed, whether mods or game itself...anything along that line?

And as a bonus/side thing, I'll take a super lonely experience like you can make in aurora 4x. Just the dark of space (space seems to work best for this for me) as you explore planets, stars, space itself with nothing at all but you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 17, 2019, 02:06:16 am »

*snip*

They are Billions immediately comes to mind.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 17, 2019, 02:22:21 am »

The Empire Earth: Art of Conquest expansion could offer that kind of gameplay but it's not really elegant about it. (Newer entries in the series might do stuff better but I haven't played them)

Art of Conquest had some (randomly generated and/or pre made) maps that were considered to be set in space, with a number different "planets" to expand on. These maps were basically just like the standard "islands" maps but instead of water seperating each piece of land it was space, meaning expanding in any way from your original island/planet was impossible until the "Space Age" which in turn delayed conflict with the other players/AI.

Personally I didn't find AoC's random maps to be that exciting to play with, but the game also featured a map editor so it just might be that there are some interesting custom made maps in the net.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 30, 2019, 07:04:22 pm »

Does anybody have any recommendations for something that's:
2-player hotseat/simul
Played via keyboard/touchpad (no mouse or controller)
Not too complicated (Frozen Cortex and its ilk are right out... as are a lot of the interesting board games, unfortunately.)
Easy to get in and out of
Not something that'll get me too many weird looks in public.

There's only so much more Artifex Mundi I can take.  :'(
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: September 30, 2019, 07:50:28 pm »

2-player hotseat/simul
Do you mean a strategy, or anything whatsoever to play with your mates on the same computer?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 30, 2019, 08:00:13 pm »

2-player hotseat/simul
Do you mean a strategy, or anything whatsoever to play with your mates on the same computer?
Basically, two people, one laptop. Not fussy if it's simultaneous play or alternating. Or even somewhat more abstract multiplayer, like hidden object games. (Though... please, not those. I've already clocked several hundred hours on them this year.)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 30, 2019, 08:48:06 pm »

Civilization II?
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 01, 2019, 06:19:31 am »

Ok, then maybe run'n'gun games like Broforce or Metal Slug. Or the various Street Fighter clones. Picking up an arcade emulator might be good here, as there's plenty of those to find (needs some initial work setting it all up). A PS2 emulator can let you play Bushido Blade, which while being a 1vs1 fighting game is less button-smashy and loud - almost but not quite a thinking game. Speaking of which, isn't Toribash hotseat-enabled? (I really don't know)
Then there's the immortal Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (or any other instalment) or Worms.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 02, 2019, 04:06:26 am »

Toribash has hotseat, yeah, but isn't that fairly mouse-intensive? Same for worms.

Broforce is fukken sick though. Play that.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 03, 2019, 12:03:10 pm »

I totally forgot the entire genre of fighting games. That may work out well enough... thanks!

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 05, 2019, 01:32:26 am »

Toribash has hotseat, yeah, but isn't that fairly mouse-intensive? Same for worms.

Broforce is fukken sick though. Play that.
True
"I CHIANED EXPLODED APPROXIMATELY 100 TERRORISTS FOR MURRICA"
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 05, 2019, 03:31:56 am »

It seems like such a dopey, low-bro game that goes for cheap laughs with ya bros, but every time I go back to it I discover some new detail.
For example, last time I played I noticed this: if one player is predator and another is that guy who resurrects corpses? Spear an enemy into a wall with predator, then use corpse-guy's power nearby and watch as the skewered zombie jiggles furiously tryna get free to do your bidding.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 05, 2019, 06:54:27 am »

You could put Artemis Bridge Simulator on the laptop and put control stations such as Helm and Weapons on your phones. It's meant to be minimum three players, and one player is the captain, but the captain just watches the screen and gives orders, so you could play it all from the phones.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 05, 2019, 10:43:52 am »

playing some CoC2 and checking videos about Dungeons & Dragons got me on a thirst for playing a complex RPG. any suggestions of which could be the closests in mechanics and diversity to that tabletop? also i play on a potato machine so cannot play any recent titles.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 179