Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320912 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1935 on: October 23, 2019, 10:21:48 am »

Ever played Freelancer? It might be a little difficult to get hold of nowadays, but that game was the bomb. Best example of "fly around and explore and do stuff and interact with factions in living, active space with sweet dogfights" I've ever played... The main story is a bit cheesy and silly at times, but it's still compelling enough to get things done. And there's a huge amount of open world post-endgame stuff that opens up after the campaign is over.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the spec requirements are like for Pulsar: Lost Colony... If it actually does have low reqs or if it just looks like that. Also Pulsar is mostly for co-op multiplayer, I don't think the singleplayer would be nearly as cool (even though the bots are supposed to be halfway competent... For an indie game).

freelancer seems to hold well for its age but it doesnt look like my cup of tea, i dont like being limited to small ships. Pulsar: Lost Colony looks interesting albeit it came out in 2015 so not sure if the machine will be able to run it, and it feels more like an space version of Guns of Icarus compared to a simulation.

perhaps im just craving for a game that hasnt been made yet. most of the old school space games were about killing stuff and doing missions/storylines whereas the newer ones are more about open world and sandbox elements. im trying to find something in between where i know my character has to earn its daily bread somehow but isnt limited to stay inside the ship 24/7 and has some kind of option to build and craft on the side.

EDIT: i tried downloading Pioneer and it turns out it requires OpenGL 3.1, well fuck, less and less options it seems.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 04:14:31 pm by xaritscin »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: October 29, 2019, 01:26:13 pm »

Anyone have suggestions for a game similar to Unlosing Ranger?

It had some grinding, but not the Disgaea "go gain 20k levels with every character to do the next part" grinding. It also had a lot of character and weirdness.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: October 29, 2019, 02:36:51 pm »

Ever played Freelancer? It might be a little difficult to get hold of nowadays, but that game was the bomb. Best example of "fly around and explore and do stuff and interact with factions in living, active space with sweet dogfights" I've ever played... The main story is a bit cheesy and silly at times, but it's still compelling enough to get things done. And there's a huge amount of open world post-endgame stuff that opens up after the campaign is over.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the spec requirements are like for Pulsar: Lost Colony... If it actually does have low reqs or if it just looks like that. Also Pulsar is mostly for co-op multiplayer, I don't think the singleplayer would be nearly as cool (even though the bots are supposed to be halfway competent... For an indie game).

freelancer seems to hold well for its age but it doesnt look like my cup of tea, i dont like being limited to small ships. Pulsar: Lost Colony looks interesting albeit it came out in 2015 so not sure if the machine will be able to run it, and it feels more like an space version of Guns of Icarus compared to a simulation.

perhaps im just craving for a game that hasnt been made yet. most of the old school space games were about killing stuff and doing missions/storylines whereas the newer ones are more about open world and sandbox elements. im trying to find something in between where i know my character has to earn its daily bread somehow but isnt limited to stay inside the ship 24/7 and has some kind of option to build and craft on the side.

EDIT: i tried downloading Pioneer and it turns out it requires OpenGL 3.1, well fuck, less and less options it seems.

Maybe a bit different than what you are looking for, but maybe Starsector?

But yea... keep an eye on Starbase and Skywanderers as well... theyre in development rn, but both are very active and will possibly reach what you are looking for. I think I can only suggest games that are tangential to your request but you could try KOTOR I & II as well as SW:TOR.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: October 29, 2019, 08:10:35 pm »

Edit: Oops, wrong thread
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:29:59 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: October 30, 2019, 04:32:41 am »

I'm not sure how to describe what i'm looking for but I want to play skyrim-but-not-skyrim.

-semi-rant alert-

Ideally I would just play skyrim, again. I like the overall world, there are still a lot of things that I haven't seen yet and despite its limitations I really like its combat. What I don't like (and borderline hate) is how railroaded the game feels, even with mods (live another life) the game still forces quest upon quest upon quest on your character, it forces you to use enchanting and smithing because no npc is offering any such services and trading is only there so you can unload your junk. It's like the devs want you to "experience" everything in one go.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: October 30, 2019, 07:32:08 am »

Y'know, I... I've never actually played a stealth archer...

I tried doing a Master run one time and quickly realized that playing the game in any semi-reasonable fashion was completely out the window at that point, especially with sync kills being a thing... Since enemies deal multiple times their normal damage at those difficulty levels, a single (unblocked, undodged) attack can deal well beyond your max health. Which means they qualify for sync kills, which bypass the normal attack animation from the first frame and just lock you into the execution without any chance of normally negating or reducing the damage.

So bandits can just walk near you and you die, even if you've got your shield out and everything.

After playing Noita, which got me trying Magicka 2 some more, which made me frustrated and got me to reinstall Magicka 1 again, I got enraged by how recent updates have apparently broken the good game in the series, and I was left with an insatiable lust for more customizable spellcrafting...

I've played Magicmaker a fair few hours and more or less completely broken that game (the max-health 100k hitpoint training dummy can't show me how much DPS my spells deal because it doesn't have enough HP to track it before it dies), so I decided to try out Fictorum as soon as I managed to fumble my way back to its name.

Fictorum is... Well... "Mostly Positive" is a pretty great descriptor. There's some fancy fireworks, I made it through the normal campaign (it really is "FTL, but the spaceship is a wizard"), about 8 hours where the game was over 4 hours in and the content was already repeating 2 hours in... But it's flashy lights and destructible buildings so you can't really hate it too much. Admittedly, there's more than a dozen other starts and two more difficulty settings, plus a different "abridged" form of the campaign, but... I already get the feeling I've seen everything.

So... Any more crafty blasty titles to recommend? The customization and tweaking of spells and abilities to fit your purposes and/or make the game scream in protest at your abuse of its mechanics?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: October 30, 2019, 08:01:27 am »

I'm not sure how to describe what i'm looking for but I want to play skyrim-but-not-skyrim.

-semi-rant alert-

Ideally I would just play skyrim, again. I like the overall world, there are still a lot of things that I haven't seen yet and despite its limitations I really like its combat. What I don't like (and borderline hate) is how railroaded the game feels, even with mods (live another life) the game still forces quest upon quest upon quest on your character, it forces you to use enchanting and smithing because no npc is offering any such services and trading is only there so you can unload your junk. It's like the devs want you to "experience" everything in one go.

Morrowind? There's also the remake of Daggerfall. Both of those are like Skyrim, but the plot isn't forced on you.

So... Any more crafty blasty titles to recommend? The customization and tweaking of spells and abilities to fit your purposes and/or make the game scream in protest at your abuse of its mechanics?

I guess Daggerfall has that as well, but these kinds of games also sound like they're up my alley. Let me know what you find.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: October 30, 2019, 09:31:43 am »

Morrowind? There's also the remake of Daggerfall. Both of those are like Skyrim, but the plot isn't forced on you.

I should have metioned that I've played morrowind. It's actualy one of my favorites and also a clearly superior game to skyrim... but I have played it to death :P

I'll take a look at daggerfall. Any recommendation outside the TES universe is also welcomed.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: October 30, 2019, 09:49:06 am »

You might try giving nehrim a gander if you haven't already. It's a pretty neat total conversion for Oblivion.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: October 30, 2019, 10:17:11 am »

You might try giving nehrim a gander if you haven't already. It's a pretty neat total conversion for Oblivion.

Honk! ?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: October 30, 2019, 12:44:13 pm »

Honk! ?
A gander can also mean a look or glance.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: October 30, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »

Honk! ?
A gander can also mean a look or glance.

Clang! ?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: October 30, 2019, 12:55:31 pm »

BOOM! ?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: October 30, 2019, 01:05:20 pm »

CAPTAIN: WHAT HAPPEN ?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: October 30, 2019, 03:14:20 pm »

AI: the janitor is huffing chemicals in the medbay again and set off a reaction.

SS13 joke aside, freelancer is solid. i enjoyed the story progression and the unique nations, what i did not enjoy was the ship progression. for real, a late game light fighter could tickle a early game heavy fighter and cause it to explode dramatically. the story related late game unique heavy fighter you can get for peanuts was an awesome touch tho, wish more games where you were the big good had this happen more often.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 179