Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318511 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2055 on: April 08, 2020, 12:49:17 am »

Cave story is a pretty fun shooter/platformer It is free, has decent gameplay, and a fairly interesting story.
From what I know of Cave Story, I believe it is a platformer that requires actual platforming skill to progress, which I do not have, whereas I just want something that had platforming as an option for getting out of the way of enemies. Also, it looks to have shooting that's limited to a few directions, whereas I'm looking for something that allows 360 or so aiming.

Maybe check out dreadborne drifters? Exit the Gungeon sounds a fair amount like that, too. There's definitely more like that, but that's two off the top of my head.

E: Also sorta' magicmaker. Maybe magicite or roguelands. Armored Hunter Gunhound or Gigantic Army are perhaps considerations, if of a somewhat different style. That's all the 2D shooter type things I can identify in my steam library, in any case :P
Dreadborne Drifters seems closest to what I mean. And I guess I'll settle for pretty much any game that has combat that involves moving around a lot.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 08, 2020, 02:18:28 am »

I'm looking for a game like the old Thing-Thing flash games. Basically a 2d platforming shooter that wasn't really about the platforming so much as just jumping around to try to dodge gunfire and shooting with mouse controls.

It's been a while, but how about Serious Sam: DD or Risk of Rain (1, not 2)?

The former is hammy and over the top intentionally, with its 'gimmick' being that you just... duct tape guns together, into a vertical, so by the end, you can be firing six or so different weapons at once. This is more traditional shooter-platformer (a la Contra).

The latter is conceptually what you end up with with Binding of Isaac gameplay on a sidescroller. No (or minimal) mouse aim, though.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 08, 2020, 04:34:04 am »

Battle Brothers burned out fast. Anyone have experience with Open XCOM - specifically the XCOM Files mod? Anything I should look out for? Is it buggy as all hell and unplayable in the long run?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 08, 2020, 04:44:40 am »

Battle Brothers burned out fast. Anyone have experience with Open XCOM - specifically the XCOM Files mod? Anything I should look out for? Is it buggy as all hell and unplayable in the long run?

I played X-Com Files 1.0.2(3?) and it seemed perfectly fine for 30-odd missions. I got kind of annoyed with it though since I couldn't seem to actually get to anything 'fun'; I was mostly using low-powered pistols/rifles that miss half the time and bashing cultists, lone cowtipping aliens, or equally mundane targets over the head for maybe 25 of those missions. The two UFO missions I got were pretty harrowing-- one had a bunch of suicidal police on my side, so I could steal a few alien weapons and run away; the other was a vastly outgunned fight that I managed to win through some lucky friendly fire.

I know that more more advanced stuff is implemented, but I had no idea how to actually get to it, which bugged me enough to go back to X-Piratez, which I'm fairly familiar with and feels much more dynamic... there's actually nothing inherently wrong with it, but I just couldn't seem to get any meaningful kind of progression on any axis going, whether it be stronger feeling units, narrative development, better gear, or anything.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 08, 2020, 07:50:38 am »

I - after looking dumbfounded around my computer for twenty minutes looking for a "mod" folder that OpenXcom had made in my documents - got it to work. In the first mission I encountered a cultist with a gun in one hand and a knife in the other. He shot one agent twice, but she survived by a thread. He then got shot with stun 2 times and hit twice with a stun rod and was still up enough to kill both agents in the next turn. 10/10 would recommend again.

I'll see what happens. I played the original for all of 10 minutes, favoring grid-based and easier strategy games instead. This has just been on my list for ages, but I'll look into X-Piratez if this one fails to keep me engaged.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 08, 2020, 11:38:59 am »

I - after looking dumbfounded around my computer for twenty minutes looking for a "mod" folder that OpenXcom had made in my documents - got it to work. In the first mission I encountered a cultist with a gun in one hand and a knife in the other. He shot one agent twice, but she survived by a thread. He then got shot with stun 2 times and hit twice with a stun rod and was still up enough to kill both agents in the next turn. 10/10 would recommend again.

I'll see what happens. I played the original for all of 10 minutes, favoring grid-based and easier strategy games instead. This has just been on my list for ages, but I'll look into X-Piratez if this one fails to keep me engaged.

Piratez would be better if there was a "doesn't hate players" fork, but it's otherwise pretty good if you're willing to do melee.

X-com Files seems more difficult entirely based on enemies being better than you (for a good portion of the game, anyway).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:57 pm »

Piratez would be better if there was a "doesn't hate players" fork, but it's otherwise pretty good if you're willing to do melee.

X-com Files seems more difficult entirely based on enemies being better than you (for a good portion of the game, anyway).

I'm getting what you mean... Got lucky on a couple early missions, then had two in a row that devastated my game.
Hopped out of the van, first guy swivels to look around - don't see anything - take a single step forward, shot at from 7 different directions, kills all 4 agents since missed shots hit the other guys. Everyone dies in one shot.

No problem. We can bounce back. Order a few more recruits - Crop Circles in Brazil - should be easy. Send a car with two agents (last vehicle and last recruits). A zombie or something is there and a farmer down the road. Approach slowly, unload tazers into zombie, doesn't go down, on its turn, walks forward, kills one agent, walks forward, kills the other agent. Cool. Cool.

Christ, I want to like this game but boy it feels like it doesn't want me to play it.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 09, 2020, 12:22:14 am »

I'm getting what you mean... Got lucky on a couple early missions, then had two in a row that devastated my game.
Hopped out of the van, first guy swivels to look around - don't see anything - take a single step forward, shot at from 7 different directions, kills all 4 agents since missed shots hit the other guys. Everyone dies in one shot.

No problem. We can bounce back. Order a few more recruits - Crop Circles in Brazil - should be easy. Send a car with two agents (last vehicle and last recruits). A zombie or something is there and a farmer down the road. Approach slowly, unload tazers into zombie, doesn't go down, on its turn, walks forward, kills one agent, walks forward, kills the other agent. Cool. Cool.

Christ, I want to like this game but boy it feels like it doesn't want me to play it.

In comparison, X-Piratez has, in my opinion, a much easier start: Your starting units can basically go toe-to-toe with any other baseline unit and win. The problem is that your units are vastly more costly than theirs later on (since they're yours, duh), and they have enough variety that it becomes unfeasible to properly gear yourself for every encounter... and it gets worse because misinformation is an active thing.

One of my worst missions was what was supposed to be a milk run... two baseline soldiers and a civvie, so I take a training team. Once I land and get across the map to the main area, I learn that the place already got attacked by zombies, so instead of a bunch of nobodies, I'm away from my ship, team scattered in a long trail, and fighting against an opponent my real combat team would be evenly matched against.

Also, as I recall, zombies are practically impossible to knock unconscious with conventional means (okay, kind of hyperbolic...) in both XCF and XP, so I wouldn't fuss about it early on.

Edit: I think I was mixing up the ability to knock them out (which is still kind of annoying, based on some of their unique qualities) and how hard it is to keep an entire map of them disabled at the same time if you're aiming for 100% capture.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:11:51 pm by Aoi »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 09, 2020, 08:32:42 am »

A lot of the time I would wind up knocking them unconscious even with weapons like shotguns because I was apparnetly dealing more stun damage than health damage.

Also, I’m pretty sure they don’t bleed, so unless you take out all of them, they’ll eventually get back up, I think.

And then there are the VooDoo zombies...

Yeah, the zombies are not really an easy (or fun) enemy for me to fight...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 09, 2020, 10:03:41 am »

I kind of wish X-Piratez would spin off into its own game, unconstrained by the X-Com engine. The nature of (original) X-Com's gameplay loop basically throws you into the deep end from the word go, and that was a harder-than-average game to understand. Then X-Piratez piles on a few dozen more weapons, enemies, factions, facilities, storylines and logistical considerations. I'm no stranger to complex games, but X-Piratez was a bit too much for me.

A game that is basically the same, but starts slower and eases you in a bit more gently, would be welcome to me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 09, 2020, 10:32:30 am »

I enjoyed the rich throw-everything-into-the-pot approach to game content in X-Piratez, but I didn't proceed in the game after reaching (impossible for me) sea missions. Also, the weebification of the base game was not exactly a positive step for me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 09, 2020, 10:42:34 am »

I enjoyed the rich throw-everything-into-the-pot approach to game content in X-Piratez, but I didn't proceed in the game after reaching (impossible for me) sea missions. Also, the weebification of the base game was not exactly a positive step for me.

Yep. X-Piratez makes the game both the best and the worst I've seen possible from x-com. A fork would be great.

And the sea missions weren't that bad when you could still bring rocket launchers.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 20, 2020, 01:58:19 am »

So for ARPGs that you can turn your brain off in and just kind of roll around flattening things... what's good nowadays?

PoE kind of annoys me of late because, invariably, things devolve into staring at my inventory (New league FFA? Yeah, those 50 bank tabs are going to last maaaaybe to maps.), Grim Dawn I've kind of ground into the ground, and Wolcen... has terrifying reviews.

I've been eyeing WH40k: Inquisitor - Martyr/Prophecy (...what a name.) as possibility (probably on sale), but any other ideas?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 20, 2020, 10:49:30 am »

Victor Vran is a bit of an old one, but have you tried that one?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 20, 2020, 10:58:51 am »

Victor Vran is fun, it does a couple things differently than the rest of the chaff and stands out nicely because of it.

...unfortunately, there are also parts that can seem very samey and because of how the standard skills work I personally didn't really get the feeling that I was making my own distinct character
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 179