Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320864 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2100 on: May 28, 2020, 12:27:11 pm »

Which games give you a score on a compared score chart when you lose/finish? Like Pirates!, CK2, etc. Preferably something roguelike so I can play on max difficulty and see how well I do. What is the gaming term for it so I can look it up? Does it even have one?

I'm assuming you know about roguelikes like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Angband, etc having ladders, but just in case you don't. I think DCSS and Tales have an automatic one if you play online with an account, and Angband has a 'manual' one where you upload your graveyard file. Angband's is more obviously a bit more clunky but the forum seems to support all the various modded versions having their own ladders as well which is cool.

Spelunky has daily ladders where everyone has the same seed and tries to get the highest score, which might interest you as well.

Edit: I think the Bay12 forums also tends to make a DCSS team whenever a new version comes out and they do a tournament, so keep an eye out for that.
Tales apparently doesn't have a ladder.

Links to the ladders in question: Angband, DCSS.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:34:26 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: May 29, 2020, 03:50:58 pm »

Which games give you a score on a compared score chart when you lose/finish? Like Pirates!, CK2, etc. Preferably something roguelike so I can play on max difficulty and see how well I do. What is the gaming term for it so I can look it up? Does it even have one?

"Score attack" is a blanket term for any game where the goal is to get the high score, but that generally refers to arcade style games, not roguelikes or RPGs.  Or maybe you are thinking of the term "online leaderboard".

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: May 29, 2020, 07:41:31 pm »

Can I get some opinions on some of the 40k games?

Gladius?

Sanctus Reach?

Battlefleet Gothic?

I've got the 40k itch and theres a sale recently, and I'm wondering which one to try out!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: May 29, 2020, 08:13:11 pm »

Can I get some opinions on some of the 40k games?

if you don't have dawn of war 1 and 2 already, i could recommend those

mechanius is getting rave reviews and i see why, its basically xcom but 40k. its got some elements of a dungeon crawler too

sanctum reach ive only tried a little so far and i find it to be like a turnbased version of dawn of war. ill reserve judgement till later but its getting good reviews as well. (after playing some more, like the skirmishes) its much more like the tabletop. you get a certain amount of deployment points and objectives to fight over.

inquisitor ive heard is both good from some guys and bad from others, its a diablo like with a story? apparently. im very tempted to get the complete version

gladius is good with the dlc, its a more combat focused version of civ. not much to say other than that, i like it but you might think its a little dry compared to civ because there are no leader screens with diplomacy (in fact there is barely any diplomacy) and very little decoration. its about war and making war.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:41:21 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: May 29, 2020, 10:40:20 pm »

This probably isn't helpful, but I have played Space Hulk, and if you like the board game it's basically the same exact thing, executed well.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: June 06, 2020, 08:27:24 pm »

This probably isn't helpful, but I have played Space Hulk, and if you like the board game it's basically the same exact thing, executed well.

I've heard Space Hulk is pretty good! Also, I ended up getting Armageddon and Gladius--haven't really fiddled around with Gladius yet because I ended up LOVING Armageddon so much that everything else feels so incomplete mechanically (in 40k games).

Also can anyone recommend/think of games similar to Foxhole in that there is a "persistent online war" system going on?

I remember old Chromehounds had a similar thing, where battles contributed to a global war which made some nifty things available for different factions depending on ability. Likewise, there's CRPG which is a Warband MMO mod (which was actually quite good), and also OMGmod for Company of Heroes, which allowed you to fight on the Allies or Axis, keep your own persistent and growing company, and actually affect the course of the war.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 03, 2020, 09:56:52 am »

Guys, I need a RPG, like a real fucking classic. I've been playing the Witcher 3 for quite some time, and boy is it amazing, but I'm looking for something more...gamey. Any recommendations?
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 03, 2020, 10:59:14 am »

Guys, I need a RPG, like a real fucking classic. I've been playing the Witcher 3 for quite some time, and boy is it amazing, but I'm looking for something more...gamey. Any recommendations?

The Wizardry series is pretty good.

Might be able to do better with more information on exactly what you're looking for, and how you want it to be gamey (perhaps Unreal World?).

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 03, 2020, 01:31:48 pm »

A classic, you say?  Betrayal at Krondor, never played the other one in the bundle.  Be aware, this is a 1993 game, not a remaster.  No idea how it plays through Steam, or if you' be better off running it through dos box.  Based on Raymond Fiest's Riftwar saga.  Graphics are dated, of course.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 03, 2020, 02:08:21 pm »

Also can anyone recommend/think of games similar to Foxhole in that there is a "persistent online war" system going on?

planetside 2?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 03, 2020, 06:36:06 pm »

Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and that family

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 04, 2020, 05:51:21 am »

Definitely not a classic but if you are interested in going a bit off the beaten path the you could try Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader. Be warned that although its first parts, both the setting, story and gameplay options, are  very well made it later devolves into a bad hack 'n slash which can lock your progress, courtesy of production problems..
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 04, 2020, 10:48:41 pm »

Ultima 7?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 05, 2020, 04:57:55 pm »

Is there any sort of, modern successor to the Wizardry series? I would love to go for a first-person turn-based party-based dungeon crawl, but everything on PC is either old and potentially unsupported, or is missing one (or more) of the qualifications listed earlier in this sentence.

Modability would be a plus, even if it's limited to importing custom character portraits.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 05, 2020, 05:26:06 pm »

Uh, was Legend of Grimrock real-time or turn-based? I don't remember. Other than that Star Crawlers fits the bill. Operencia might too, but I've only played the tutorial yet, so I'm not sure if it's turn based in dungeon crawling too, or just in combat.
I've not tried Bards Tale IV, but it looks like it might be at least in the ballpark.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 179