Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320804 times)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2580 on: January 21, 2023, 11:16:29 am »

If you don't mind puzzles with your exploration and lore discovery, I'd recommend Heaven's Vault. I found the way you tease out the past, and how it led to the present, and the choices you have as to what threads to pursue, pretty satisfying.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: January 21, 2023, 05:28:11 pm »

Well, my Steam wishlist has grown exponentially, thank ye all for the reccomendations. Not that I'm asking youse to stop, I love yer suggestions so far
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: January 21, 2023, 09:56:55 pm »

So I have a question: there's this thing called Project Zomboid. Anyone played it? Is it good? Kinda looks like Cataclysm DDA with nicer graphics.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: January 22, 2023, 01:57:37 am »

Cataclysm DDA with nicer graphics is a good description, however it lacks a lot of stuff Cataclysm has. Only one type of zombie, a fraction of the crafting and vehicle system, no wildlife, no labs, no NPCs... And I just find it too easy and repetitive. Kite zombies, loot house, find food, read books. Repeat until you have max skills in everything so you can do nothing but continue surviving.

Also, you can be doomed to die from one bite/scratch because of the incurable zombie virus.

It just needs more something to give me a reason to push into late game (that being said I have played dozens of hours of it and don't regret buying it)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: January 22, 2023, 03:10:06 am »

I've played both CDDA and Project Zomboid, and I found zomboid to be much harder than cataclysm with some systems in it seemingly made to kill the player quickly as I've played quite a bit of it and never lived more than a month, but with Cataclysm I've lived well over a year with the 91 day seasons setting.

Also my take on zomboid is probably really outdated as cars weren't a thing when I last played it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: January 23, 2023, 07:53:00 am »

PZ is designed to be (rather heavily) modded and played as a multi-generational multiplayer game, and best without map spoilers.

It's actually fairly easy to survive indefinitely, and constantly getting easier, as more survival mechanics are implemented... as long as you don't get careless. Death very often comes from a single scratch at an inopportune time.

Map spoilers are kind of a big deal-- the broad swaths of the map are fixed, and knowing where major equipment caches are, or highly defensible areas are, is significant. (Me, I kind of prefer the world being largely unknown and discovering them for myself.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: January 23, 2023, 10:38:21 pm »

Speaking of zombie games. I loved 7 days to die and am waiting for it to be even more fleshed out (I keep coming back to it every year or so). It scratches an itch that other zombie games don't so if you haven't played it, give it a try.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: February 02, 2023, 04:58:59 pm »

I always had a ton of fun repairing and building stuff on Space Station 13. Laying the wire and setting up atmospherics and whatnot. And I was wondering if anyone knew of some niche game (survival genre is probably best) where you repair some sort of large station in a hostile environment, and it's really really complicated.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: February 02, 2023, 05:25:27 pm »

I have this one called 'Deep Sixed' in my library, but never managed to find the time (or the mood) to actually play it. The premise is kinda like what you describe. What drew me to it back when I bought it was the maintenance mechanics being similar to Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - you sort of have to find out on the fly how to fix shit in the in-game manual for the space ship while everything falls apart around you. Not sure how well it fits the bill. Looking at the reviews, people either love it or hate it. But, again, never tried it myself. Still, a cheapo option to try out.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: February 02, 2023, 06:04:09 pm »

Nah, that looks more like a rapid puzzle game. I'm thinking more actual engineering. (no not space engineers)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: February 06, 2023, 11:12:26 am »

I always had a ton of fun repairing and building stuff on Space Station 13. Laying the wire and setting up atmospherics and whatnot. And I was wondering if anyone knew of some niche game (survival genre is probably best) where you repair some sort of large station in a hostile environment, and it's really really complicated.

*looks to the sides*

among us

EDIT: More seriously I've heard of something, haven't tried it myself, called Industries of Titan.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: February 06, 2023, 01:59:19 pm »

Oxygen Not Included is probably the closest to what you want. It's a game about building an underground colony inside a space asteroid. Unlike Rimworld which is mostly focused on "tower-defense", the key to survival in ONI is entirely your building skills. The game is one of the few that has a gas simulation,and liquids play a major part in it too. You will have to produce oxygen to keep you colonists alive, and ventilation systems to pump it to where it is needed. Plumbing involves creating pipes and pumps to send water to your bathroom facilities, and then sending that filthy water to a septic tank until you find enough time to build a proper sewage treatment facility that can recycle it. The wiring system requires you to make multiple separate power grids, or else your cables will be overloaded due to too much current running through them.

I recommend googling some builds, just so you can get a taste for what you can create in this game. The gas and liquid system combine beautifully to allow you to build a functional steam turbine.

The world is not explicitly hostile in the sense that aliens are constantly attacking you (this isn't rimworld), but it's a hard game nevertheless. It's easy to run out of water, oxygen, or food if you don't manage your time and resources properly.

Factorio might also scratch that itch. Building a factory on a hostile alien planet is probably as complex if not more so than the wiring system in SS13, and having to fight off alien attacks makes things suitably hostile. Surely you already know about Factorio though.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: February 06, 2023, 08:57:21 pm »

Lol yep I love both those games. Except I keep burning out on Oxygen not included because there is a very very efficient design of "mine out everything and make rectangles with a shaft for wires and plumbing" (even with that design it takes forever to do stuff), and when it comes time to get my hands on oil I make huge winding ladder/pole path down to it and it just feels wrong. And the automation aspects of it looks expensive and next to useless.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: February 07, 2023, 09:04:45 am »

Lol yep I love both those games. Except I keep burning out on Oxygen not included because there is a very very efficient design of "mine out everything and make rectangles with a shaft for wires and plumbing" (even with that design it takes forever to do stuff), and when it comes time to get my hands on oil I make huge winding ladder/pole path down to it and it just feels wrong. And the automation aspects of it looks expensive and next to useless.

Do challenge games-- I've done Accept Every Dupe to 100, single dupe launches (actually easy, but slow), and I've been working on a minimum-size Minibase rocket launch on and off for a while-- You have something like 180 tiles, excluding the rocket, of room for everything.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: February 07, 2023, 09:57:54 am »

Sailwind

I've tooled around in Sailwind a bit. What's there is quite well done, and the community (at least the Discord) is generally rather pleasant and interesting. As a game, it's... Different. There isn't really that much exploring going on, necessarily, as the world is more or less already very well charted from the get-go.

The difficulty, and the main hook of the game, is in successfully navigating that world.

While you do have some excellent maps available, there's no way of telling where YOU are in relation to that map, aside from actually, y'know... Using navigational instruments. Checking your latitude at night via quadrant, your heading via compass, triangulating your position via spyglass and local landmarks. Then feverishly double- and triple-checking everything again to make damn sure you're actually headed in the right direction.

It's an odd mix of zen and nail-biting stress. Catching the wind in your fastidiously-trimmed sails and cruising through the gorgeous ocean waters is amazing and relaxing, but not knowing if you're in the middle of the ocean en route to your destination or if you're in the middle of the ocean and fucked is always great fun, especially with longer journeys where your ETA can easily vary by 3-5 days even with a perfectly straight course. Getting up to do the morning scan of the horizon and finally seeing a landmass after more than a week at sea is a grand and comforting experience every time, especially if you weren't over-cautious with stocking up beforehand and your food and water supplies are running thin.

It's definitely a game with a learning cliff, but once you start getting the hang of things you begin feeling a real mastery of your vessel. It's been a while since I last played, and since that time they've added ship/sail customization, sail shadow, and other fun bits and bobs. Can absolutely recommend if you're interested in checking out a very different experience, and if the idea of using actual tools in order to navigate tickles you.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 179