Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320840 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 02:38:31 am »

I want to play a D20 style RPG game that I haven't yet played, but I've already played:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
SW: KotOR 1 & 2 (Are you seeing a pattern here?)

AND I've played a bunch of somewhat-close-to-what-I-want-but-not-quite games like:

Jedi Knight series
Fallout NV (I keep meaning to get 3 though. I liked that one)
Mount and Blade
Morrowind and other assorted TES games

So I'm sort of stumped. Any recommendations?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 03:58:03 am »

I've got $65 USD worth of steam credit, and I'm looking for some good zombie survival games in the vein of Day Z or Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Any suggestions?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 04:03:27 am »

All right here's a hard one. Someone recommend me a game similar to the likes of Yume Nikki, Kairo and LSD Dream Emulator. You know things with exploration in mind, little or no combat and a surreal setting.

Please do not include games like Dear Esther, that's not what I'm looking for now. I want the game to have defined rules.

If you're looking for something trippy, try out Middens. There is some combat, but most of it is exploration in a psychedelic setting. It's totally open and quite easy to get lost, but it's fun just to wander and see what you can find in out-of-the-way corners.

There is a plot and story, though, and an ending.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:07:39 am by Sappho »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 04:10:23 am »

I want a game that appeals to my inner pyromaniac. Something with gorgeous, realistic fire physics and animations. A firefighting RPG/puzzle game would be ideal, but anything with lots of pretty fire would be excellent.

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 04:11:56 am »

I want to play a D20 style RPG game that I haven't yet played, but I've already played:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

AND I've played a bunch of somewhat-close-to-what-I-want-but-not-quite games like:

Jedi Knight series
Mount and Blade

titan quest or sacred?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 04:15:21 am »

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

Jedi Knight series
Mount and Blade

Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, and... Divine Divinity? are.. sort of close to those. Isometric RPG's with similar mechanics. Not using the D20 system though.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 04:16:18 am »

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

Jedi Knight series
Mount and Blade

Not sure how close to D20 they have to be (or necessarily are), but:

Fallout 1 and/or 2 and Planescape: Torment combined with the ones you've listed as played basically cover the classic/golden age examples of the genre.

Beyond that there's also the Divinity series, the recent Shadowrun game (a little underwhelming, but still worth a look), the Dragon Age series, maybe Spiderweb's games (Avernum et al), and I've seen a few recommendations for Temple of Elemental Evil.

In the not too distant future there's Divinity: Original Sin and Project Pillars of Eternity due in the first half of 2014.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 05:47:17 am »

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

Jedi Knight series
Mount and Blade

Not sure how close to D20 they have to be (or necessarily are), but:

Fallout 1 and/or 2 and Planescape: Torment combined with the ones you've listed as played basically cover the classic/golden age examples of the genre.

Beyond that there's also the Divinity series, the recent Shadowrun game (a little underwhelming, but still worth a look), the Dragon Age series, maybe Spiderweb's games (Avernum et al), and I've seen a few recommendations for Temple of Elemental Evil.

In the not too distant future there's Divinity: Original Sin and Project Pillars of Eternity due in the first half of 2014.

Yah, "Divine Divinity" doesn't have a turn based system like Baldur's Gate or Fallout, rather it's more like Diablo in that regard. However the world has a lot of hidden items, quests and areas to go through and the questing is more like Baldur's Gate.

I think "Temple of Elemental Evil" is considered a good game because it's very focused. It takes place around a single village and such but because of that there's a lot of detail in character interaction and possible outcomes.

The Might and Magic series is also a good bet for RPG stuff. It's focused on combat with plot being more the reason to go out and kill things. 4, 4.5 and 5 I believe are considered the best of the series.

The Geneforge series is supposed to be good, but the graphics were a little too simple to keep my interest for long.

Edit: Oh, of course. The Ultima series are worth looking into as well. Ultima 6 and 7 specifically. Ultima 7 is a great RPG in the "roam the world" type. The earlier ones are a tad too old and the series started going downhill quite spectacularly after Ultima 7.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 05:50:57 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 06:03:43 am »

Rome: Total War & Medieval 2
Doom 2
Armored Brigade(free! get it)
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Yannanth

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 06:24:37 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:30:16 pm by Yannanth »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2013, 11:07:46 am »

So... there was Ogre Battle, and the N64 version (and I guess technically there was some handheld thing that never got translated, hum). Their... combat, or just general nature. The hands-offy management/strategy, etc. There anything out there that, like, harkens?

Know there was some flash game a while back I've since forgotten, and I vaguely remember there might be a PS2 (3?) game or two that's similar (but have forgotten the names, of course ::)), but... anything? At all? System irrelevant, I just wanna' kinda' have a list of targets going forward...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »

All right here's a hard one. Someone recommend me a game similar to the likes of Yume Nikki, Kairo and LSD Dream Emulator. You know things with exploration in mind, little or no combat and a surreal setting.

Please do not include games like Dear Esther, that's not what I'm looking for now. I want the game to have defined rules.
Try Space Funeral. It has little combat, is super surreal and it's free.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »

So... there was Ogre Battle, and the N64 version (and I guess technically there was some handheld thing that never got translated, hum). Their... combat, or just general nature. The hands-offy management/strategy, etc. There anything out there that, like, harkens?

Know there was some flash game a while back I've since forgotten, and I vaguely remember there might be a PS2 (3?) game or two that's similar (but have forgotten the names, of course ::)), but... anything? At all? System irrelevant, I just wanna' kinda' have a list of targets going forward...

Only thing I can think of is Dominions but you're quite familiar with that already.

I've heard of some OLD wargames where you'd be a general and command your army by sending out messengers. Orders could be delayed, misunderstood or just never reach their target at all. Never played them myself but I've heard some sporadic mentions in old timey podcasts.

Also... Majesty? I think you've played that too.

I too would like to hear some examples of hands-off combat.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »

Is it worthwhile to play through number one before Baldur's Gate 2? I have both of them and I'm slowly working my way through the first already, haphazardly avoiding death by spellcaster.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 01:16:44 pm »

I've heard of some OLD wargames where you'd be a general and command your army by sending out messengers. Orders could be delayed, misunderstood or just never reach their target at all. Never played them myself but I've heard some sporadic mentions in old timey podcasts.

PowerMonger fits that description pretty well.  It's worth a look but gets repetitive.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 179