Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320875 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1485 on: July 01, 2017, 08:33:16 am »

Rise to Ruins has a thread about it under its old name "Retro-Pixel Castles". I picked it up in the sale because I heard good things about it, but I have yet to give it a try.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1486 on: July 10, 2017, 03:50:31 pm »

I'm looking for a Zelda-like game I can play multiplayer online with my niece. She's 5 and can't manage a mouse yet, but is actually able to play with a controller. I had a great time visiting with her and showing her how to play Oceanhorn, which she loved and was actually not bad at. Now I'm heading back to Europe and looking for something I can play with her... Any ideas? I've already looked at GraalOnline, but it's too confusing and complex (and outdated) for her, I think. I'm happy with a free MMO or a regular PC game (doesn't need to be free, but preferably not *too* expensive) with online multiplayer available. Anything not too difficult, not too complicated, and not inappropriate for a 5-year-old, where she can run around and hit monsters with a sword. :)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1487 on: July 10, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »

I'm looking for a Zelda-like game I can play multiplayer online with my niece. She's 5 and can't manage a mouse yet, but is actually able to play with a controller. I had a great time visiting with her and showing her how to play Oceanhorn, which she loved and was actually not bad at. Now I'm heading back to Europe and looking for something I can play with her... Any ideas? I've already looked at GraalOnline, but it's too confusing and complex (and outdated) for her, I think. I'm happy with a free MMO or a regular PC game (doesn't need to be free, but preferably not *too* expensive) with online multiplayer available. Anything not too difficult, not too complicated, and not inappropriate for a 5-year-old, where she can run around and hit monsters with a sword. :)
King Arthur's Gold?

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »

I got the itch for a game that's somewhere between ARPG/Diablo and CRPG/Baldur's gate. Something way more story driven than Diablo games, and I only really want to control and micromanage one character, especially during combat...but more in line with the speed of Diablo 1(maybe even a tad slower) where you weren't rushing into groups spamming AoE's, whacking at loot pinatas while praying to RNGesus.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1489 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:50 pm »

King Arthur's Gold?

I should probably mention that platformers are pretty much out. She doesn't have the dexterity yet. Something like Oceanhorn or Zelda (the SNES one) would work better. And it has to be something with controller support, so she can use one hand on the joystick and the other on the buttons (3D games that require two sticks might be too difficult, since she can't wrap her hand all the way around the controller yet and her little fingers can't use the joystick and buttons at the same time. I'm thinking a top-down or 3/4 view action-RPG would be best, if I can find one with online multiplayer (or an MMO). I'm currently looking at Trove, actually... It would require her to use both sticks, but I think we could take it slow as she gets used to it and grows into it. Once she's ready for mouse and keyboard, I'll graduate her to Minecraft. :D

EDIT: Hmm.... Anyone have any experience with Moon Hunters? This actually looks like it might work. Looks like something we could take our time with until she was ready for the harder fights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atrpfIj50fY (She's generally happy just to explore the same areas over and over again anyway.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:58:34 pm by Sappho »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 11, 2017, 05:26:46 am »

It's not exactly a "Zelda-like", but have you looked into the older Pokemon games? Granted, they are played with a controller-like setup, but seeing that the pace of the games is rather slow, it probably shouldn't be such a big hindrance. Especially the first edition also looks a lot like SNES games. The games can be played both in single-player, as well as in multiplayer battles.

It's definitely not what you asked for, but it might still be worth a shot.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1491 on: July 11, 2017, 10:38:31 am »

I'll keep it in mind. I think she would like Pokemon, but she can't read yet, so she needs help with all the text. And controller is required - it's the mouse she can't handle yet. So I'm specifically looking for games with controller support.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 11, 2017, 01:08:31 pm »

In my experience, boycotts rarely ever works unless enough people did so. But whatever, you do you I suppose.
And I agree, you are missing out on one of the few games by them, that are truly worth buying.
Unless of course, you are one of those whom believe Morrowind is a dumbed down version of Daggerfall or something.

You see, I bought their games in the past already. Fallout 3 was great when I was a kid, but it's mediocre right now. Skyrim is also quite mediocre, but good for 100 hours of play. Fallout New Vegas is one of my favorite games from the new tens, Dishonored was cool, even if it suffered from lack of the options for a pacifist player, and Doom 2016 was awesome. They're not very good developers by themselves, but they are great publishers, but it's all IMHO. Too bad that they decided to resort to abhorrent practices like "Creaton Club", or as I like to call it "Microtransaction Club"...

As for inefficiency of boycotts, they're inefficient because the majority of people are idiots. If the majority of people had some gears in their noggin, then there wouldn't be corporations like Ubisoft or EA. They'd just run out of money after the boycotts.

i like skyrim
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: July 11, 2017, 01:46:45 pm »

i like skyrim

Pretty much everyone here is okay with the people liking Skyrim, and so am I. It's not /v/ of 4chan, nobody's gonna annoy/stalk you for liking some game for "casuls"...
Also, why did you use small text?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 11, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »

i like skyrim

Pretty much everyone here is okay with the people liking Skyrim, and so am I. It's not /v/ of 4chan, nobody's gonna annoy/stalk you for liking some game for "casuls"...
Also, why did you use small text?

No real reason but I've always thought that it looked weird to use a single line of full size text after a massive quote. So, aesthetics, I guess.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 11, 2017, 10:34:04 pm »

I got the itch for a game that's somewhere between ARPG/Diablo and CRPG/Baldur's gate. Something way more story driven than Diablo games, and I only really want to control and micromanage one character, especially during combat...but more in line with the speed of Diablo 1(maybe even a tad slower) where you weren't rushing into groups spamming AoE's, whacking at loot pinatas while praying to RNGesus.
Nox, a great and fabled diablo clone. One character, very reflex oriented. It's like a precursor to Quake.
Planescape Torment, a game similar to Baldur's gate. You don't have to run multiple characters for most of the game. you can just kill them off or whatever. Your stat choices change your entire playthrough. Basically just another Baldur's gate.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #1496 on: July 12, 2017, 12:10:39 am »

request is simple: any good free alterative to SimCity? only requirement is a working linux version.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: July 12, 2017, 09:49:01 am »

Nox, a great and fabled diablo clone. One character, very reflex oriented. It's like a precursor to Quake.
Planescape Torment, a game similar to Baldur's gate. You don't have to run multiple characters for most of the game. you can just kill them off or whatever. Your stat choices change your entire playthrough. Basically just another Baldur's gate.

Both are great games but not quite what I'm looking for.  Nox kinda began the trend of the fast pace ARPGs have today, and Planescape Torment is an infinity engine CRPG and not really an ARPG.  Best game I can compare to what I'm looking for would probably be Revenant, but not riddled with gamebreaking bugs

Thank you for the suggestions though

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 12, 2017, 10:29:36 am »

Soulbringer

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: July 12, 2017, 08:27:01 pm »