Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318499 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1500 on: July 13, 2017, 07:44:25 am »

If not for some terrible game design decisions it is a very interesting game indeed. I'd say it is underrated for a good reason but worth a shot if you're into the genre.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 13, 2017, 08:57:22 am »

I got the itch for a game that's somewhere between ARPG/Diablo and CRPG/Baldur's gate. Something way more story driven than Diablo games, and I only really want to control and micromanage one character, especially during combat...but more in line with the speed of Diablo 1(maybe even a tad slower) where you weren't rushing into groups spamming AoE's, whacking at loot pinatas while praying to RNGesus.
Nox, a great and fabled diablo clone. One character, very reflex oriented. It's like a precursor to Quake.
Planescape Torment, a game similar to Baldur's gate. You don't have to run multiple characters for most of the game. you can just kill them off or whatever. Your stat choices change your entire playthrough. Basically just another Baldur's gate.

Just wanted to chime in and say that Planescape: Torment is quite different from BG. Sure, it's made in the same engine - or a similiar one - but Baldur's Gate is a typical, D&D-esque fantasy game with a party, classes and a (rather good) story line to follow.

Planescape is... different. You don't play it because it's a mechanically good game, but because it has a very enganging setting and a deeply philosophical storyline.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 13, 2017, 10:41:08 am »

I just got done playing Dragon Quest Builders and I'm now on a strong Minecraft/survival game/open world explorable streak, does anyone have some good ones?

To date I have played: Minecraft, 7 Days to Die, No Man's Sky, Empyrion- Galactic survival, Conan Exiles, The Forest, The Wild Eight, Subnautica, Landless, Avorion, Dead State, Miscreated, State of Decay, Radiation Island, Unturned, and Rust.

...what, i played with legos as a kid.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1503 on: July 13, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »

Sounds like you've pretty much got everything covered.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 13, 2017, 12:48:07 pm »

I just got done playing Dragon Quest Builders and I'm now on a strong Minecraft/survival game/open world explorable streak, does anyone have some good ones?

To date I have played: Minecraft, 7 Days to Die, No Man's Sky, Empyrion- Galactic survival, Conan Exiles, The Forest, The Wild Eight, Subnautica, Landless, Avorion, Dead State, Miscreated, State of Decay, Radiation Island, Unturned, and Rust.

I rather like LEGO: Worlds. It's pretty much all about building but the developers are adding a survival mode as a free update later this year. Exploration is also a big part with the player hunting down chests for sets, items, doodads, vehicles and creatures as well as finding new bricks by chasing down little green monsters.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 13, 2017, 03:20:14 pm »

Terraria's the only one tgat comes to mind not already on the list.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 13, 2017, 04:30:00 pm »

I knew i forgot a couple! Also played terriaria and starbound.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 14, 2017, 07:35:48 am »

Are there other games with something similar to legends mode (interesting simulation of world history) - especially ones that are more successful at UI design?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 14, 2017, 03:27:47 pm »

I'm in the process of planning to start development on a new game and I was curious if anything like it already existed before I got started. If one exists, I might just play it instead.

Co-op/competitive survival RTS with unit progression.

The RTS elements are like in any of the DF-style games where you say what needs to happen and then your unit might get around to it eventually.
Individual units gain experience in a variety of skills common to the multitudes of early access survival games on Steam.
(I have yet to decide which of these would be most fun) Either everyone starts as an overseer (RTS mechanics) and can hop into the body of one of the units to tool around, or you can choose to be an overseer or resident when you start playing.

That's sufficiently weird that I feel I need to explain how this all fits together. See, I like playing games with my wife. We play story-driven games together, trading controls now and then. When gaming separately, she prefers games like The Sims and certain city builders. I've been getting into survival games. I'd like to play a multiplayer game together but I haven't found anything we would both like. That brings me to my idea. I play my Wurm-like survival game, with all of the grind that that entails. She plays her city builder crossed with The Sims, with all of the relationship management and construction that that entails. My grinding results in materials to finish her constructions. Her constructions unlock new equipment to aid my search for new materials.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1509 on: July 14, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »

I don't know of anything like that. Sounds interesting!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 15, 2017, 03:34:58 am »

Have you tried space engineers?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 16, 2017, 01:22:23 am »

Anyone know of any fun games where the situation is more or less ever-devolving and horrible stuff happens to permanently screw with your run? A very good example would be Darkest Dungeon. I don't need it to be the same genre as Darkest Dungeon, I'm mostly looking for a game that forces you to deal with, minimize, and manage failure/loss and leads to memorable horrible moments.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 16, 2017, 01:33:05 am »

FTL Faster Than Light

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:37 am »

Democracy, Fate of the World, or basically any other socio/economic/ecologic simulator at an adequate difficulty level without resorting to cheese strats.

Special mention goes to Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator where you're the prime minister of Israel in 1997... and I managed to lose during the resolution of the very first turn.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:57 am »

FTL Faster Than Light

A very good example. I've played it death though and the RNG in that one could be unfair to the point of making a run just plain impossible because you need to meet certain requirements to beat the boss and those are completely up to the RNG. I like RNG but not when it causes impossible win scenarios without you being aware of it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:44:32 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 179