Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104]

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 77733 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1545 on: July 14, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »

I don't know of anything like that. Sounds interesting!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 15, 2017, 03:34:58 am »

I just got done playing Dragon Quest Builders and I'm now on a strong Minecraft/survival game/open world explorable streak, does anyone have some good ones?

To date I have played: Minecraft, 7 Days to Die, No Man's Sky, Empyrion- Galactic survival, Conan Exiles, The Forest, The Wild Eight, Subnautica, Landless, Avorion, Dead State, Miscreated, State of Decay, Radiation Island, Unturned, and Rust.

...what, i played with legos as a kid.

Have you tried space engineers?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 16, 2017, 01:22:23 am »

Anyone know of any fun games where the situation is more or less ever-devolving and horrible stuff happens to permanently screw with your run? A very good example would be Darkest Dungeon. I don't need it to be the same genre as Darkest Dungeon, I'm mostly looking for a game that forces you to deal with, minimize, and manage failure/loss and leads to memorable horrible moments.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 16, 2017, 01:33:05 am »

FTL Faster Than Light

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:37 am »

Democracy, Fate of the World, or basically any other socio/economic/ecologic simulator at an adequate difficulty level without resorting to cheese strats.

Special mention goes to Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator where you're the prime minister of Israel in 1997... and I managed to lose during the resolution of the very first turn.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:57 am »

FTL Faster Than Light

A very good example. I've played it death though and the RNG in that one could be unfair to the point of making a run just plain impossible because you need to meet certain requirements to beat the boss and those are completely up to the RNG. I like RNG but not when it causes impossible win scenarios without you being aware of it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:44:32 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 16, 2017, 03:40:36 am »

Does anyone know of a game that lets you create your own nation to the extent of say, Stellaris? It doesn't have to be centered around the idea or sci-fi.

I know EU4 has a country creator and I love it to bits.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: July 16, 2017, 08:57:31 am »

Anyone know of any fun games where the situation is more or less ever-devolving and horrible stuff happens to permanently screw with your run? A very good example would be Darkest Dungeon. I don't need it to be the same genre as Darkest Dungeon, I'm mostly looking for a game that forces you to deal with, minimize, and manage failure/loss and leads to memorable horrible moments.

Battle Brothers.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: July 16, 2017, 11:29:03 am »

The Long Dark?

You're stranded in the northern Canadian wilderness and have to survive for as long as possible. Most ressources aren't endless, which means that as time goes on you'll have less and less quality stuff. Food, drink and clothing are replenishable, but medicine is not. Which means that eventually, you'll die from affliciation.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: July 16, 2017, 12:18:28 pm »

Massive Chalice, maybe? The enemies get harder as the game progresses, they can take your territories if you don't defend them enough (and you can only defend one territory at a time, even though you have lots of dudes already in that territory. Kinda pisses me off). Also, if you stop producing a certain type of unit, it takes some effort to recreate them (especially starting base unit types). Also, faulty genetic traits like heart conditions can stay with you for generations. It's basically fantasy X-Com where units die of old age, and you have to breed them over generations.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

matusel3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: July 17, 2017, 02:14:28 pm »

I have a tall order for a game, and I'm looking for any recommendations in the ballpark of it.

I recently played My Summer Car, and I enjoyed how it didn't hold your hand, simple things like not having a map of the world to just call up with a button, or how you had to actually start a vehicle made it entertaining.

I'm looking for some kind of a life simulator or life skill simulator that is cooperative.  Something that requires you to make charts or notes in real life to play would be really cool.  I recently saw this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/552920/Sailaway__The_Sailing_Simulator/

That looks right up my alley so I think I'll check it out.  Economy simulators, life simulators, I don't know, just something cooperative, persistent, and with a steep entry curve.

A game that requires cooperative would be really cool, this is an extreme and not very good example, but something like Euro Truck Simulator where the passenger only saw the GPS (stupid example I know), but makes for fun cooperative gameplay.

Have any ideas for me?

Thank you very much guys!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: July 17, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »

I have a tall order for a game, and I'm looking for any recommendations in the ballpark of it.

I recently played My Summer Car, and I enjoyed how it didn't hold your hand, simple things like not having a map of the world to just call up with a button, or how you had to actually start a vehicle made it entertaining.

I'm looking for some kind of a life simulator or life skill simulator that is cooperative.  Something that requires you to make charts or notes in real life to play would be really cool.  I recently saw this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/552920/Sailaway__The_Sailing_Simulator/

That looks right up my alley so I think I'll check it out.  Economy simulators, life simulators, I don't know, just something cooperative, persistent, and with a steep entry curve.

A game that requires cooperative would be really cool, this is an extreme and not very good example, but something like Euro Truck Simulator where the passenger only saw the GPS (stupid example I know), but makes for fun cooperative gameplay.

Have any ideas for me?

Thank you very much guys!

First thing that comes to my mind is WURM. It doesn't require cooperation but cooperation goes a long way.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: July 17, 2017, 05:48:21 pm »

you could check out serpent in the staglands, you have a journal that you have to write manually in and I hear there is next to no hand holding.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: July 18, 2017, 03:53:16 pm »

I got the itch for a game that's somewhere between ARPG/Diablo and CRPG/Baldur's gate. Something way more story driven than Diablo games, and I only really want to control and micromanage one character, especially during combat...but more in line with the speed of Diablo 1(maybe even a tad slower) where you weren't rushing into groups spamming AoE's, whacking at loot pinatas while praying to RNGesus.

This is an old post, but: check Kyn. It's an ARPG (mobs, loot) based in Nordic lore. However, you control a party; they primarily auto attack but have special cooldown abilities based on class and specialization. Combat is mostly real-time with active pause (which is also a tactical resource as it is limited in time based on difficulty).

Not sure how much it is story driven, though. It seemed to be from what little I played it - there didn't seem to be much ability to go back to an area and farm it for items, for example. However, I did not really get far in it.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: July 18, 2017, 03:57:25 pm »

Does anyone know of a good MMORPG(-type) game? I really just want something I can sink some time into, as long as it's not horrifically full of grind. Something with unique mechanics/gimmicks would be fine, but really not necessary.

In terms of an MMO with unique mechanics, look at the Wakfu MMO. It is based on a French cartoon and is about as far from standard fantasy fare as you'll get. Combat mechanics are also greatly different, as it is based on tactical turn-based combat.

Not sure how the grind goes. I only played for maybe 10 or 20 levels before bumping into the freemium/paywall and I didn't want to sub.

Could also look into Trove. It is an attempt at a procedural generation MMO with voxel (block) terrain; however, combat and general gameplay might be more shallow than you're looking for. I'm not even sure there is a goal/endgame (as much as you can say a traditional level-grind MMO has a goal/endgame) besides maybe being a minecraft builder but needing to explore and fight to get the cosmetic blocks you want to use.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:03:58 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104]