Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318492 times)

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1515 on: July 16, 2017, 03:40:36 am »

Does anyone know of a game that lets you create your own nation to the extent of say, Stellaris? It doesn't have to be centered around the idea or sci-fi.

I know EU4 has a country creator and I love it to bits.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 16, 2017, 08:57:31 am »

Anyone know of any fun games where the situation is more or less ever-devolving and horrible stuff happens to permanently screw with your run? A very good example would be Darkest Dungeon. I don't need it to be the same genre as Darkest Dungeon, I'm mostly looking for a game that forces you to deal with, minimize, and manage failure/loss and leads to memorable horrible moments.

Battle Brothers.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 16, 2017, 11:29:03 am »

Anyone know of any fun games where the situation is more or less ever-devolving and horrible stuff happens to permanently screw with your run? A very good example would be Darkest Dungeon. I don't need it to be the same genre as Darkest Dungeon, I'm mostly looking for a game that forces you to deal with, minimize, and manage failure/loss and leads to memorable horrible moments.

The Long Dark?

You're stranded in the northern Canadian wilderness and have to survive for as long as possible. Most ressources aren't endless, which means that as time goes on you'll have less and less quality stuff. Food, drink and clothing are replenishable, but medicine is not. Which means that eventually, you'll die from affliciation.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 16, 2017, 12:18:28 pm »

Massive Chalice, maybe? The enemies get harder as the game progresses, they can take your territories if you don't defend them enough (and you can only defend one territory at a time, even though you have lots of dudes already in that territory. Kinda pisses me off). Also, if you stop producing a certain type of unit, it takes some effort to recreate them (especially starting base unit types). Also, faulty genetic traits like heart conditions can stay with you for generations. It's basically fantasy X-Com where units die of old age, and you have to breed them over generations.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

matusel3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 17, 2017, 02:14:28 pm »

I have a tall order for a game, and I'm looking for any recommendations in the ballpark of it.

I recently played My Summer Car, and I enjoyed how it didn't hold your hand, simple things like not having a map of the world to just call up with a button, or how you had to actually start a vehicle made it entertaining.

I'm looking for some kind of a life simulator or life skill simulator that is cooperative.  Something that requires you to make charts or notes in real life to play would be really cool.  I recently saw this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/552920/Sailaway__The_Sailing_Simulator/

That looks right up my alley so I think I'll check it out.  Economy simulators, life simulators, I don't know, just something cooperative, persistent, and with a steep entry curve.

A game that requires cooperative would be really cool, this is an extreme and not very good example, but something like Euro Truck Simulator where the passenger only saw the GPS (stupid example I know), but makes for fun cooperative gameplay.

Have any ideas for me?

Thank you very much guys!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: July 17, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »

I have a tall order for a game, and I'm looking for any recommendations in the ballpark of it.

I recently played My Summer Car, and I enjoyed how it didn't hold your hand, simple things like not having a map of the world to just call up with a button, or how you had to actually start a vehicle made it entertaining.

I'm looking for some kind of a life simulator or life skill simulator that is cooperative.  Something that requires you to make charts or notes in real life to play would be really cool.  I recently saw this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/552920/Sailaway__The_Sailing_Simulator/

That looks right up my alley so I think I'll check it out.  Economy simulators, life simulators, I don't know, just something cooperative, persistent, and with a steep entry curve.

A game that requires cooperative would be really cool, this is an extreme and not very good example, but something like Euro Truck Simulator where the passenger only saw the GPS (stupid example I know), but makes for fun cooperative gameplay.

Have any ideas for me?

Thank you very much guys!

First thing that comes to my mind is WURM. It doesn't require cooperation but cooperation goes a long way.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 17, 2017, 05:48:21 pm »

you could check out serpent in the staglands, you have a journal that you have to write manually in and I hear there is next to no hand holding.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 18, 2017, 03:53:16 pm »

I got the itch for a game that's somewhere between ARPG/Diablo and CRPG/Baldur's gate. Something way more story driven than Diablo games, and I only really want to control and micromanage one character, especially during combat...but more in line with the speed of Diablo 1(maybe even a tad slower) where you weren't rushing into groups spamming AoE's, whacking at loot pinatas while praying to RNGesus.

This is an old post, but: check Kyn. It's an ARPG (mobs, loot) based in Nordic lore. However, you control a party; they primarily auto attack but have special cooldown abilities based on class and specialization. Combat is mostly real-time with active pause (which is also a tactical resource as it is limited in time based on difficulty).

Not sure how much it is story driven, though. It seemed to be from what little I played it - there didn't seem to be much ability to go back to an area and farm it for items, for example. However, I did not really get far in it.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 18, 2017, 03:57:25 pm »

Does anyone know of a good MMORPG(-type) game? I really just want something I can sink some time into, as long as it's not horrifically full of grind. Something with unique mechanics/gimmicks would be fine, but really not necessary.

In terms of an MMO with unique mechanics, look at the Wakfu MMO. It is based on a French cartoon and is about as far from standard fantasy fare as you'll get. Combat mechanics are also greatly different, as it is based on tactical turn-based combat.

Not sure how the grind goes. I only played for maybe 10 or 20 levels before bumping into the freemium/paywall and I didn't want to sub.

Could also look into Trove. It is an attempt at a procedural generation MMO with voxel (block) terrain; however, combat and general gameplay might be more shallow than you're looking for. I'm not even sure there is a goal/endgame (as much as you can say a traditional level-grind MMO has a goal/endgame) besides maybe being a minecraft builder but needing to explore and fight to get the cosmetic blocks you want to use.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:03:58 pm by Niveras »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:36 pm »

An Assassins' Creed Discworld mod would be awesome.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1525 on: August 15, 2017, 03:01:15 pm »

I'm looking for RPGs or strategy games for SNES, PS1, PS2, NDS, GBA, or PSP. Especially games you think are underrated or lesser known, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 15, 2017, 05:09:15 pm »

I've only owned the DS and GBA out of those systems. I'd recommend checking out the Golden Sun series, they were decent JRPGs. They're pretty well known though, so perhaps not what your are looking for.

For something a little less known maybe the The Dark Tower would be worth checking out, It is an old school dungeon crawler. I haven't actually played that one myself but it's a game I keep an eye out for when I'm at a used game store. I've heard it is quite good if you're into that sort of thing.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1527 on: August 15, 2017, 05:59:46 pm »

Grew up with Golden Sun. Not much a fan of the gameplay anymore but I like the story and the art style. Dark Tower is a nice alternative to Etrian Odyssey. Gives me some Paper Sorceror vibes.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 16, 2017, 02:43:33 pm »

PSP has Elminage Original, yet another nice Wizardry-style dungeon crawler (with significantly less frustration included in comparison to Elminage Gothic that's available on PC).
PS1 has Azure Dreams, rather unique roguelike/monster-raising/dating sim with tons of flavor.
PS2 and PSP (and PC now) have Phantom Brave - Nippon Ichi TRPG that is easy but fun to break.
NDS:Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey - still yet another dungeon crawler.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 16, 2017, 02:50:48 pm »

Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits and Valkyria Chronicles for the PS2 are fun tactical JRPGs.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 179