Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 320358 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2010 on: February 22, 2020, 05:11:13 pm »

I mean... most of the wizardry series seems held in high regard by people who don't get a reflexive murderous impulse when dealing with that sort of first person dungeon crawler style game? Quick gander suggests folks think either doing 1-5 or 6-8 (probably the latter if you want to fiddle with a more recent UI) first is a good idea, if you're looking to dive into the series. Translation wise I'm not sure what hasn't been translated... looks like everything numbered before 6 definitely has at a minimum.

Reviews and whatnot suggest lost souls has... issues, though. It's indeed supposed to largely be in the same style as the earliest gams, at least. Maybe go with 6 or 7, dip into 8 to see which style you like better?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: February 22, 2020, 05:34:27 pm »

I don't really like Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls, though, to be fair, I don't have much experience with the Wizardry series, and the ones I have tried, I didn't particularly like... my tastes run more towards the more recent Japanese entries to the genre. (Particularly the Etrian series.)

And RNG hell. Some combats you can just rampage through. And others, steps away... they rampage through you. I really don't like the idea of rolling for stats on levelling... when they can go down for no reason. (For an example with a reason: There was one game where you could change classes at any time, and you'd get stat growth related to your current class. The super-tank class took an attack/speed penalty each level but saw massive defense growth.)

Translation wise I'm not sure what hasn't been translated... looks like everything numbered before 6 definitely has at a minimum.

There's actually like 30 of them outside the main series in Japan, though something like a third of them have fan translations.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 22, 2020, 05:51:43 pm »

Translation wise I'm not sure what hasn't been translated... looks like everything numbered before 6 definitely has at a minimum.

Reviews and whatnot suggest lost souls has... issues, though. It's indeed supposed to largely be in the same style as the earliest gams, at least. Maybe go with 6 or 7, dip into 8 to see which style you like better?

Well I mean, 1 through 8 were all made by the original American developers, so it makes sense they're in English. The Wizardry name and tradition continued in Japan after the original developers stopped and the rights holders went bankrupt. As far as I can tell, its status is something like public domain in Japan now, so there's been a lot of spinoffs by a lot of relatively unknown developers.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: February 23, 2020, 03:16:50 pm »

Most major RPGs can trace their lineage back to ither the Wizardry or Ultima series.  Wizardry games are generally difficult and Wizardry 4 is generally considered to be one of the most needlessly sadistic RPGs of all time.  Since the early 2000s the Wizardry games have all been made in Japan.

Wizardry 8 is held in high regard.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: March 28, 2020, 03:43:51 am »

Is there such a thing as a MUD that's good for noobs? Whenever I think about joining a MUD I get shy, like I'm a stranger in a small town where everyone knows each other.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: March 28, 2020, 04:19:01 am »

Are you looking at something that's more gameplay or roleplay?
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 28, 2020, 04:40:26 am »

I suppose gameplay, but not so much gameplay that you need a wiki or tutorial just to get started.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: March 28, 2020, 08:14:16 am »

Is there such a thing as a MUD that's good for noobs? Whenever I think about joining a MUD I get shy, like I'm a stranger in a small town where everyone knows each other.

If I remember correctly, MUDs were one of the least social of the early mmo games. MUSHes or MOOshes were probably the roleplay-heavy social games? I know the Shadowrun one is pretty heavily reliant on GMs, which is not why you play computer games. The tutorial and instructions for the game were the same thing. THey were pretty much just MMOs without the raids, which sounds great, honestly.

Report back if you find a fun one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 28, 2020, 11:03:29 am »

Eh, mud type stuff sociability mostly depended on population, from what I could tell back when I messed around with them. You could have hack and slash stuff that was constant chatter and whatnot, and ostensibly roleplay focused stuff that was just a desolate waste of what few people there just kinda' idling.

Half-hearted check says maybe check out https://uossmud.sandwich.net/ that, and if all else fails, search up mudconnect and just try their top five or ten listed to see if anything appeals. It's been like a decade since I tried to play muds with any effort... most of the stuff I fiddled with back then probably isn't even running anymore.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 28, 2020, 12:12:57 pm »

Can anyone suggest some good multiplayer games that don't require good reflexes?

Divinity Original Sin games are okay, but they take ages to do anything in, and I'm not sure what else I have.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: March 28, 2020, 12:18:41 pm »

Can anyone suggest some good multiplayer games that don't require good reflexes?

Divinity Original Sin games are okay, but they take ages to do anything in, and I'm not sure what else I have.

Stardew Valley is pretty chill and doesn't really require reflexes.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 28, 2020, 12:28:17 pm »

Is that multiplayer?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 28, 2020, 12:50:09 pm »

Is that multiplayer?

It is! Players get their own little mini-cabins on the farm and they can work together on stuff

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 28, 2020, 12:55:19 pm »

Is that multiplayer?

It is! Players get their own little mini-cabins on the farm and they can work together on stuff

That does sound like it would be fun longer than "the dumbest FPS we can find, on 2+ intoxicants".

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: March 28, 2020, 03:08:46 pm »

I suppose gameplay, but not so much gameplay that you need a wiki or tutorial just to get started.

I was highly active on Medievia like... 20 years ago, and, then, it was one of the few that could boast 1000+ people at any given time. I've heard that it expanded a lot since then, mostly in good ways, though a glance at its ratings on MudConnector suggest its fallen a lot...

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 179