Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318490 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2040 on: April 02, 2020, 06:47:11 am »

Went with Battle Brothers for now. Feels good to win fights with zero losses. UI scaling is fucked on my laptop though.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 02, 2020, 10:35:00 am »

I like base-building survival crafting games with progression systems. Is there anything that does caveman to spaceman in an enjoyably-grindy way besides modded Minecraft? Preferably without magic omni-tools. It sort of weirds me out when you play something like Planet Nomads and you've got a hand-held thingamabob that builds, deconstructs, mines, wires, and umpteen other things.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:25 am »

Well. Not caveman but for Steam age to sending rockets with a lot of base building i would say Factorio.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 02, 2020, 11:22:50 am »

Well. Not caveman but for Steam age to sending rockets with a lot of base building i would say Factorio.
And with mods you can get either longer journey or a longer steam phase. I really recommend this game. Note that Factorio has a free demo.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 02, 2020, 10:09:56 pm »

A lot of games could've met that description to some degree, from (obviously) Factorio, to Rimworld, to Shores of Hazeron, to Space Engineers.

Wonder how Space Engineers is doing. Haven't heard any news for a while now.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:54 pm »

Also interested. Stopped playing when I hit the edge of content and decided to wait until it was a full game. That was years ago.

Mephisto, sounds like you wanna play Spore. /s

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 03, 2020, 08:15:36 am »

Piling on DLC. They've recently added an ice planet DLC scenario, which oversold it having "weather effects", which is just a scripted effect that only happens during the scenario itself and will not happen in sandbox/survival mode even on that same planet. The same DLC also adds a "gate" block, which is a larger, wider Air-Tight Hangar Door block, as well as a comm dish which is a larger version of the antenna.

They've also "released" Medieval Engineers out of Early Access, which is just them officially abandoning it completely to focus on Space Engineers. Consequently, both games are being review-bombed for that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 03, 2020, 09:01:21 am »

Thanks for the input. I've decided to fire up Empyrion again.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 07, 2020, 09:17:02 am »

Thanks for the input. I've decided to fire up Empyrion again.

This caught my eye before. How is the "engineering" in this compared to Space Engineers? Because I don't like the distinct lack of engineering in Space Engineers.

Does placement of thrusters matter? Is there a point to making a big fuck-off mothership other than bragging rights? Do you need any internals like air or electrical wiring?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 07, 2020, 09:22:59 am »

That manner of engineering isn't a thing in gaming. The closest you might get is probably something like Stationeers.

As for Empyrion, you need oxygen and power but oxygen is delivered to your suit using bottles (and probably cockpits) if you're in an oxygen-deprived environment and power is conducted invisibly once you connect things together using the magic "connect" menu.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:00:50 am by Mephisto »

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 07, 2020, 10:36:45 am »

You might be able to achieve a...certain limited degree of such engineering with certain combination of mods in Gmod, or by running SS13 local. The pickings are really too lean in that niche.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 07, 2020, 04:24:07 pm »

I'm looking for a game like the old Thing-Thing flash games. Basically a 2d platforming shooter that wasn't really about the platforming so much as just jumping around to try to dodge gunfire and shooting with mouse controls.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 07, 2020, 04:32:27 pm »

Maybe check out dreadborne drifters? Exit the Gungeon sounds a fair amount like that, too. There's definitely more like that, but that's two off the top of my head.

E: Also sorta' magicmaker. Maybe magicite or roguelands. Armored Hunter Gunhound or Gigantic Army are perhaps considerations, if of a somewhat different style. That's all the 2D shooter type things I can identify in my steam library, in any case :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:38:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 07, 2020, 04:40:37 pm »

Also, Jetpack.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 07, 2020, 04:53:36 pm »

Cave story is a pretty fun shooter/platformer It is free, has decent gameplay, and a fairly interesting story.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 179