Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318422 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2070 on: May 20, 2020, 12:36:56 pm »

Oh yeah, VV. That had a pretty nice arcade-y feel to things... I think I ended up getting about half the half mode (or equivalent there of) stars before I started running into a wall of futility. Really underrated, I'd say, considering it showed up in a 1$ bundle.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 21, 2020, 02:41:02 am »

Presumably you've also already gone over stuff like Torchlight 2?

For as sweet as Inquisitor-Martyr looks, I've... Not heard very good things. Same for Chaosbane.

There's apparently also something called "Last Epoch" that's out in early access, but I don't know anything about it.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 21, 2020, 10:00:57 am »

There's a zillion Gauntlet games, go look at some of the older ones.

Sixth gen consoles also had Hunter: The Reckoning games and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

Some budget titles you may have never heard of: Trapped Dead: Lockdown, Avencast, Greed: Black Border, Dawn of Magic 2.  Caveat emptor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:21 am »

For as sweet as Inquisitor-Martyr looks, I've... Not heard very good things. Same for Chaosbane.

Surely you aren't suggesting that Games Workshop did something subpar, are you?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 21, 2020, 02:26:47 pm »

I don't understand how it is that Games Workshop can have such great IP, yet manage to flub very nearly every single game that they've tried to make with it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 21, 2020, 02:47:34 pm »

I don't understand how it is that Games Workshop can have such great IP, yet manage to flub very nearly every single game that they've tried to make with it.

It's because they don't actually make these games themselves. I think major publishers with well-equipped studios are nervous about working with GWS, either because they're not sure the titles will be successful due to a lack of mass market appeal or because of GWS's zealous control over their IP. (Or maybe GWS just overvalues its IP and that scares off major publishers.)

Stuff like Warhammer Age of Reckoning and such are viewed as critical failures, back in the day when GWS very carefully dipped its toe in to the video game market. Things like Warhammer 40,0000: Space Marine were good games, but they weren't critical successes.

So that leaves indie devs and lower level publishers to work with, and GWS did an about face a few years and started granting licenses to pretty much everyone. I'm guessing that while GWS cares a lot about how the IP is presented, they can't then revoke their license when a game turns out to look kinda shitty. Either that or they're taking the "market saturation" method of game licensing.

Anyways, Inquisitor Martyr is no Diablo 3 but I think it's at least a decent aRPG. Nowhere near the depth of PoE, and a little too repetitive maybe, but for fans of GWS and 40k I think it's ok. It definitely fits the "turn off my brain and vape guys" bill. I've put several hundred hours in to it by now, and TBH I'd rather play it than Diablo 3. The voice acting is cheesy in the best way possible, and it's overflowing with 40kisms at every turn.

And that's really the take away I think. GWS video games work for fans of the IP but not for the general public. They (rightly) can't look past the faults just because it's got the 40k or Fantasy label.

And not everything GWS branded is totes garbo. Total Warhammer 2 is about the best execution you can find of the fantasy IP. Battlefleet Gothic Armada is also a solid game, but not the kind of thing with broad mass market appeal. Space Hulk: Deathwing is absolutely the best looking implementation of the 40k aesthetic from any game I've seen.....but sadly it never got traction because it was so limited and issue-ridden at launch. (The Enhanced Edition they put out a year or two later does a lot to bring it up to snuff.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:58:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 21, 2020, 02:55:02 pm »

So for ARPGs that you can turn your brain off in and just kind of roll around flattening things... what's good nowadays?

PoE kind of annoys me of late because, invariably, things devolve into staring at my inventory (New league FFA? Yeah, those 50 bank tabs are going to last maaaaybe to maps.), Grim Dawn I've kind of ground into the ground, and Wolcen... has terrifying reviews.

I've been eyeing WH40k: Inquisitor - Martyr/Prophecy (...what a name.) as possibility (probably on sale), but any other ideas?

I don't know if I would call this an RPG, but Alien Shooter is a generic top down shooter where you get to mow down hordes of aliens.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/33100/Alien_Shooter/

If you want to just mow down hundreds of enemies with different weapons, try it. It's $5.

As for my request, I've found that I enjoy learning game mechanics. I realize I play a game, get to the point where I'm like "I know what the next 6 hours is going to be like" and quit, which is why I stick around with heavily complex/strategic games. So does anyone know of some stupidly complex and/or strategic games with hellish amounts of mechanics? Or if even possible, a game that randomly generates mechanics (I'll be very impressive if someone has managed this)?

Examples of games: DF(duh), Aurora 4x, basically every paradox game, dominions 5, AoE2, heroes of might and magic

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:43 pm »

Van Helsing was a decent series of games, a bit limited in terms of customization since you had like three main classes to pick from or something like that. Did have this wierd TD part of the game where you defended your hideout or something?

Also Dungeon Siege 2 if you can get it to run properly on something, that game had some interesting ideas and was more a blend of a CRPG and ARPG than anything specific since you had a party and all and could control and customize each of them, but the whole combat and loot system was decidedly ARPG in nature.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 21, 2020, 03:20:02 pm »

There were also a bunch of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k games made in the 1990s, most of which are pretty forgettable or mediocre.  If you want a Space Hulk game there was one on the 3DO.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 21, 2020, 03:31:53 pm »

As for my request, I've found that I enjoy learning game mechanics. I realize I play a game, get to the point where I'm like "I know what the next 6 hours is going to be like" and quit, which is why I stick around with heavily complex/strategic games. So does anyone know of some stupidly complex and/or strategic games with hellish amounts of mechanics? Or if even possible, a game that randomly generates mechanics (I'll be very impressive if someone has managed this)?

Examples of games: DF(duh), Aurora 4x, basically every paradox game, dominions 5, AoE2, heroes of might and magic
Lemme just name a few that come to mind, from different genres.

Tried Factorio?

Oxygen Not Included gets pretty complex lategame if you want to build liquid hydrogen fueled rockets.

AI War: Fleet Command. Much to learn, difficult and strategic. Beating that AI on just normal difficulty will already feel very satisfying.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is a complex roguelike which will keep you learning for years (so many race/class combinations and variants)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 21, 2020, 04:07:03 pm »

Does it make you Angron?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 21, 2020, 04:07:57 pm »

That pun is so bad, it's heretical.

There were also a bunch of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k games made in the 1990s, most of which are pretty forgettable or mediocre.  If you want a Space Hulk game there was one on the 3DO.

Let's also not forget Fire Warrior.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 21, 2020, 04:39:19 pm »

Tried Factorio?

Oxygen Not Included gets pretty complex lategame if you want to build liquid hydrogen fueled rockets.

AI War: Fleet Command. Much to learn, difficult and strategic. Beating that AI on just normal difficulty will already feel very satisfying.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is a complex roguelike which will keep you learning for years (so many race/class combinations and variants)

Hahahahaha. I played all of them already. You know what I like though.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 21, 2020, 04:45:40 pm »

Presumably you've also already gone over stuff like Torchlight 2?

There's apparently also something called "Last Epoch" that's out in early access, but I don't know anything about it.

Yeah, I've pretty much beaten most entries in the genre that are playable offline to death. You get a lot of downtime when travelling deep discount. ("You'll give me a free burrito if I accept a bump to a flight next week? SURE!") The downside is that you're usually so tired yet unable to sleep is that anything that requires focus is right out.

Last Epoch's, out of the more recent-ish wave of looty ARPGs, is closer to PoE than anything.

It's main hook is a kind of weird skill tree system, in which you pick a main (and eventually specialization) with its respective passives, have 5(?) skills you can socket that will have their own skill trees. It's actually pretty interesting; for example, necros can choose to build out a golem such that it's an aggro magnet, passive PBAoE, debuffs, etc. A warrior-alogue has the equivalent of Cyclone, but you can use it as a movement skill or a huge one that pulls things in but renders you stationary, etc.

Tried Factorio?

Factorio and ONI are two that I often see lumped together, yet I find they have an incredibly different feel due to one major difference:
ONI discourages experimentation; Factorio practically forces it on you.

Spoiler: "Ramble." (click to show/hide)

Have you ever tried The Last Federation? It's by the same guys who did AI War and I'm pretty sure it's part of the Humble Trove.

It's kind of meant to be a solar system simulator, and you basically start out as a fairly powerful neutral third party faction that gets to do whatever you want, but ostensibly is to unite the system under one government. Whether that means an allied UN, or mass genocide.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 21, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »

I hate the last federation   :-\

Only some of the choices are actually worth doing, and combat is nothing but "fly in circles as you kite every enemy to slowly chip away at their health". Doing anything else is horribly risky.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 179