Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 318501 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2085 on: May 21, 2020, 05:05:31 pm »

I hate the last federation   :-\

Only some of the choices are actually worth doing, and combat is nothing but "fly in circles as you kite every enemy to slowly chip away at their health". Doing anything else is horribly risky.

Fair enough. I could never figure out if the choices were actually useless, or if I was just that bad at it. (See also: Me trying to do anything in CKII other than die a horrible death.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 22, 2020, 11:26:26 pm »

Is Icewind Dale worth playing? I loved NWN and Diablo, but apparently this one went under my radar until now.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 23, 2020, 12:48:03 am »

Is Icewind Dale worth playing? I loved NWN and Diablo, but apparently this one went under my radar until now.

I've heard it described as "Baldur's Gate with more combat and no story", so... yeah. I'm fairly confident that they're made by the same devs and on the same engine, actually.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 23, 2020, 08:51:20 am »

Icewind Dale is better than Baldur's Gate because the early game is far more forgiving.  It otherwise plays much like Baldur's Gate, using the same game engine.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 23, 2020, 08:54:19 am »

Icewind Dale is better than Baldur's Gate because the early game is far more forgiving.

Yeah, both games were actually pretty difficult if you didn't build characters well.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 23, 2020, 10:19:42 am »

I ended up with Icewind Dale 2 through some GOG deal, but never got around to actually playing it... Just opening up character creation and coming face to face with 3.5 systems being represented in the Baldur's Gate engine/UI made my head spin.

My only recollection of regular IWD was from a friend's family basement computer that I poked at when I was, like, single-digit age. I cast entangle inside of an inn. That's about all I remember.

That computer also had SimAnt.

Icewind Dale is better than Baldur's Gate because the early game is far more forgiving.

Yeah, both games were actually pretty difficult if you didn't build characters well.
That.
Fucking.
Dick.
Outside the Friendly Arm Inn...

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 28, 2020, 06:11:02 am »

As a completionist, I dislike infinite spawning  and prefer a game world's resources to be finite, including the monsters and npcs, even if this can result in the game world entering  a terminal state of no usable resources and extinct monsters.   Which games don't use  infinite spawning?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 28, 2020, 06:32:56 am »

As a completionist, I dislike infinite spawning  and prefer a game world's resources to be finite, including the monsters and npcs, even if this can result in the game world entering  a terminal state of no usable resources and extinct monsters.   Which games don't use  infinite spawning?

If you like tactical games, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden may do it. As far as I can recall, the only thing that might be infinite is the vendor's stock of consumable items, but since the maximum amount of currency is limited, it's something that'll work itself out. (It also means if you waste your cash and upgrade your stuff poorly, you may have a literally unwinnable game.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 28, 2020, 06:35:55 am »

Cataclysm DDA has finite resources, kill all the zombies in a area and they stay dead, loot all the stuff in a building and its gone, and cut down all the trees in an area and they stay cut down, but the resources are kind of infinite if your willing to keep going further out to look for more of the stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 28, 2020, 07:48:14 am »

Doesn't Project Zomboid have a bit of the same thing going? I mean it's possible to farm to an extent, and I honestly don't know if the zombies are set or dynamic spawns, but most all of society's resources are finite.

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 28, 2020, 08:35:35 am »

Which games give you a score on a compared score chart when you lose/finish? Like Pirates!, CK2, etc. Preferably something roguelike so I can play on max difficulty and see how well I do. What is the gaming term for it so I can look it up? Does it even have one?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 28, 2020, 08:36:37 am »

The King's Bounty series is a bit hit-or-miss, but when it's good, it's better than Heroes of Might and Magic.

Which games give you a score on a compared score chart when you lose/finish? Like Pirates!, CK2, etc. Preferably something roguelike so I can play on max difficulty and see how well I do. What is the gaming term for it so I can look it up? Does it even have one?

DoomRl?

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 28, 2020, 08:43:19 am »

hitman1(2016) or 2(more recent)? Spelunky is a more rogue game that might work too

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 28, 2020, 09:28:17 am »

Mount and Blade:Warband has a scoring system that appears if you choose to retire. You can even back out of retiring if you don’t like it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 28, 2020, 10:58:30 am »

Master of Orion 2 even had a high score hall of fame... But that's possibly a wee bit on the "classic" side of things  :P
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 179