Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SPORE and PlatinumSpore Mod - Plus the annoyance of the 5 key install limit DRM  (Read 19708 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to use some kind of obfuscated-connection Tor service for avoiding the blackmail clubs, I would think. No experience with doing anything really blackmailable, but if I had to avoid blackmail for something in particular, that's probably what I would do. Heavily encrypted generic-looking connection through Tor. Miscelaneous millitary-grade encrypted gobbledygook goes to an anonymous forwarder somewhere and comes from another elsewhere with absolutely no apparent relation to the actual activity.
A system could probably be set up to switch Tor routes occasionally too, so you get flagged for large downloads less.

Also, while looking at various esoteric security software, I discovered something called PeerBlock that looks pretty interesting. It's a firewall-ish program that takes blocklists of ligitious organizations, spyware networks, governments, etc. and goes completely silent towards computers in thier IP range. Apparently designed as a rudimentary stealth software against such blackmail, though easy to get around with botnets. Misidentified other computers on my Hamachi connection as Ministry of Defence (apparently the IP address lists of the two collide) but other than that I haven't had much trouble with it. It does block thier websites, but there is an 'allow all HTTP traffic for 15 minutes' button, as well as more precise settings.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, let's not confuse "can my ISP punish me" with "can they bill me for torrenting". In any case, he paid the 'fine' and that discussion should pretty much have ended right there. He's got his key working, it's all sorted.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once got a cease and desist for downloading Harry Potter.

The funny thing is... I didn't. One of the POSSIBLE files on that torrent was harry potter (It was a torrent with a big bunch of files on it)

Mind you they didn't know what I downloaded they only knew I downloaded something with "Harry Potter" in the description. I would have gotten it if I tried to torrent My Immortal. Ultimately it was just some automated message there to "scare" me.

Isnt in it a private life intrusion thingy?

No, Torrents are 100% public.

I know torrent are 100% public, i meant your ISP checking what YOU are downloading at your home, with your computer, basicly scanning what you do with your connection, thats what i meant.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile

Gave me a god damn auto response (edit: To expand. It wasn't even a person that answered like how one usually gets when they call support. How lame is that? Granted, I probably called a bit too late in the day (it was a Friday afternoon), but still). I was on hold for literally 27 minutes and 39 seconds (I had a timer going)...and I did not get a damn activation code or an actual person.

Protip: If they ever give you automated menus where you have to press numbers to do X, press the wrong numbers enough times and you get transfered to a real person without a queue or wait time.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You sure? Most places I've tried that with say "Sorry, have a nice day." and just hang up. That's how it used to be, like... ten years ago, but not (in my experience) how it is today.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

ARISE, DEAD TOPIC, FOR I REQUIRE YOUR ASSISTANCE!

After looking at PlatinumSpore, I saw that it could work with 0.3 or earlier instead of GA. However, due to using Steam to buy Spore, I can't use the provided installer to use 0.3. Could anyone pass me a link to download the .package file instead?
Pages: 1 2 [3]