Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perfect embark, death by aquifer  (Read 1120 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Perfect embark, death by aquifer
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:42:40 pm »

I had a perfect, Joyous Wilds embark with everything, except maybe flux. I just started dealing with aquifers, and a single-tile deep one was the end of my fort. I had quickly set up fishing and a still and began work on the cave-in plug, and got that far, but it didn't actually collapse. It didn't have any supports, but there was still land above the plug. I removed all connection from the plug to the above land by channeling above and below the plug and removing the final floor, but there was no cave-in. I went to channel an extra area above the plug, and my miner chose the worst possible way to do so, after one of the two died by falling into the aquifer. He fell and also drowned.

gg aquifer, gg.

I don't have the save. I really want to reclaim, but isn't that kind of a hassle to complete? What with everything getting thrown about and the possible migration of beasts that need slaying (the river otters hadn't given me trouble yet). It was such a good embark, too. Well, maybe it lacked in aboveground plants, making lumber hard to come by, but still, it's better than what I normally get.

---

That's what I get for using LNP I guess... Cave Ins were off the whole time. I could have had a surviving miner, too. Oh well, I can reclaim now. I really shouldn't use LNP anymore, but I like the tools it comes with and it makes installing graphics easy, so... argh.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:46:53 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

gtaguy

• Bay Watcher
  • {Curly Brace}
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect embark, death by aquifer
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:58:30 pm »

I generally don't mess with aquifers unless I have too.
Quote from: GoldenShadow
I don't understand why you need magma.
Quote from: Duuvian
Well done OP, you've inadvertently weaponized ghosts.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect embark, death by aquifer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »

The site I chose to breach opened up immediately to the first cavern. For some reason, three dwarves immediately decided to go inspect the giant eternal flood, and I failed the race against time to get them back up. They could swim, at least. Abandoning again, never going back.

I don't think the plug even worked, as all of the sand(I think) was still damp. I did punch through it, but not enough.

I'll find a new world with a new aquifer.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.