Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like more of or to see improved?

Combat.
- 2 (20%)
Roleplay.
- 2 (20%)
Details.
- 1 (10%)
Plot/Intrigue
- 4 (40%)
Other.
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 07, 2014, 10:09:51 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 71

Author Topic: "The Filth of Kalgena" OOC thread. The GM has his shit together. Somewhat.  (Read 50815 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5 PBP urban campaign interest check. "The Filth of Kalgena"
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 07:11:02 pm »

Hmmm. Well, rechecking, Paladin seems rather attractive as well, whilst Warmage is less so.

And of course, Ranger is probably going to end up being a better class than Scout...I suppose I could do a Swift Hunter, but it's just not the same. :(

Osoero the Insane Warlock, meanwhile, is quite viable, and I still wonder what the other ToB classes would be like.

What type of Wizard and Cleric are we going to have?

EDIT: Could I request the range increments of some weapons(thrown ones in particular) be increased? Or possibly based on strength score?
And could anyone with +4 BAB have Quick Draw effectively as a Bonus Feat?

Question about Crusader; Could there be stance retraining? As it is now, a single-classed Crusader cannot get their highest level stances, because they don't gain any stances after they become available. This is dumb.

Can we present Prestige Classes? I don't expect them to be taken as is, certainly, and indeed I personally would welcome input on it/them, but it'd be nice, especially as Prestige classes are kinda the thing that's meant to be how you make your abstract stats and such represent the badass locked in your head.

Finally, could I request a change to tower shields and/or a one-handed reach weapon(probably exotic)?

MOAREDIT: Actually, with how you can train to be proficient in exotic weapons, does Exotic Weapon Proficiency need a feat? I think it would make more sense if you could be proficient in whatever (maybe a limit of one weapon) provided you had a sufficiently sensible backstory. Also, the weapon couldn't be too ridiculous. Knowing how to use a repeating crossbow might be something you'd learn in a very well-equipped mercenary band or the like, and if you were raised by dwarves, you might know how to use the dwarven waraxe, but since the spiked chain is a ridiculous weapon in and of itself, you're unlikely to know how to use it without hurting yourself without some serious training. Similarly, unless you were a slave master, how would you know how to use a whip in combat?
You could try Monkey Grip or Powerful Build if you want to wield a reach weapon one-handed. I even have a way you can get Powerful Build LA-free!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2013, 07:14:05 pm »

Eh, but the thing is, I'd rather just have it be an exotic weapon. Even if I have to use a feat for it, it would still fit better into the character than those feats, and I don't like size-reach mucking. Otherwise I could just use a Small Glaive or something.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2013, 07:59:44 pm »

-snip-
1. Lets say that thrown wepon range increases five feet for each bonus to STR or ranged BAB, whichever is lower.
2. Let me get back to you. I need to review that material.
3. Sure.
4. What?
5. I'm going to say that everyone gets one extra proficency as a bonus feat. However, to take a martial weapon, you must be profiecent in all simple weapons. The same goes for exotic: you must be profiecent with all martial weapons.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2013, 08:01:32 pm »

-snip-
1. Lets say that thrown wepon range increases five feet for each bonus to STR or ranged BAB, whichever is lower.
2. Let me get back to you. I need to review that material.
3. Sure.
4. What?
5. I'm going to say that everyone gets one extra proficency as a bonus feat. However, to take a martial weapon, you must be profiecent in all simple weapons. The same goes for exotic: you must be profiecent with all martial weapons.
Can I become more proficient with my natural weapons instead? I intend to avoid weapons like the plague.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2013, 08:05:37 pm »

Can I become more proficient with my natural weapons instead? I intend to avoid weapons like the plague.
[/quote]How do you propose to become more proficient with them?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2013, 08:09:04 pm »

How do you propose to become more proficient with them?
[/quote]
*shrug* The only things I could think of are either gaining an extra natural slam or something (Training to be proficient with an extra natural weapon) or getting the Multiattack feat rather than a proficiency (Which would free a feat slot I would then use to take Toughness).

EDIT: Heh, the modification I made to prevent people from using that proficiency through use rule to just use something and learn it is still there.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:19:25 pm by Remuthra »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 08:30:24 pm »

I'll give you the Multiattack or brass knuckles for free, then.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2013, 08:33:05 pm »

Alright.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 08:51:20 pm »

It's hard to tell what you're asking "what" about, but I assume Tower Shields and one-handed reach weapons.

Well, first off, I think all shields should give you a bonus to your Reflex Save equal to half their AC bonus. Or their AC bonus. Whichever. It makes sense to me, and feats like Shield Wall use it. Speaking of which, that seems like a simple maneuver that anyone trained with a tower shield or heavy shield should be able to do....

Additionally, if I'm wearing a shield(especially a tower shield) on my back, I think it should provide a bonus of some sort(only whilst my back is turned, and wouldn't stack with a shield I was holding, but if I'm using a crossbow for example...there's a reason Pavise shields were used. Or just make it so you can reload a crossbow even while wearing a shield(it's not as if your arm will fall off because you let go of the shield handle for a few seconds...)

But as for tower shields specifically...I'd really like and I feel as though some of the following should be done to them, possibly all:

Not give the -1 to hit with them;
'Block' spells when being used for cover;
Not give total cover, just 9/10ths or something(cover should give bigger bonuses to reflex saves, too...)
Be able to shield bash(speaking of which, shield bashes should do more damage; Spartan/Greek Hoplite shields were as deadly as their spears...), perhaps for a little less than a heavy shield, but still. Maybe only on a charge or something when you can get enough weight behind them.
Not weigh stupidly ridiculous amounts. Seriously, they weigh more than full plate. That's just dumb. 25 to 30 pounds, maybe. Not 50. 50 would be for a steel one. A solid steel one. Which, by the way, if it was two feet by four feet, would be about 4 millimeters thick. Stupidly thick. Even at a meter by two meters, it would be fairly close to plate armor thickness. (1.45 millimeters, versus 16 gauge (the thinnest typically used) which is 1.59) If it's made of wood...oak has about a tenth the density of steel, meaning a centimeter and a half or so of oak would be fifty pounds, if it was 1x2 meters.

Plus, 50 pounds is just ridiculous to carry into battle.

I'll try and stop with shields before I launch into my rant about the equipment system in general.

For the exotic weapon, would this work?

1d10; 20/x3; Piercing; Can be set against a charge; Reach*; 7 lbs.; 20 gp; Can be used as a martial weapon in two hands.

*I really think people should be able to do something like Short Haft with all reach weapons, provided they are proficient with them...it takes an action after all! Or it should, in this case. Plus, it's not particularly difficult to stab with the longspear when you're just holding another three to four feet along it's length.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 09:45:18 pm »

Double Post, but I thought I should let you know I'll be a Crusader.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 09:46:35 pm »

Mounted kind of Crusader, or a footsoldier type? Two-hander or shieldy type?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 10:15:19 pm »

We're Urban(and I'm a Crusader, not a Paladin),so footsoldier.

Shield versus Two-Hander depends on the GMs willingness to take those suggestions and my willingness to not be using an oversized flail.

I like flails. A lot.

Also, I feel as though Combat Expertise is one of those feats like Point Blank Shot or Power Attack that should just be automatic at a certain point.

This has nothing to do with my desire to be able to get Improved Trip and Improved Disarm more easily should I choose a flail.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:17:39 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 10:27:44 pm »

We're Urban(and I'm a Crusader, not a Paladin),so footsoldier.

Shield versus Two-Hander depends on the GMs willingness to take those suggestions and my willingness to not be using an oversized flail.

I like flails. A lot.

Also, I feel as though Combat Expertise is one of those feats like Point Blank Shot or Power Attack that should just be automatic at a certain point.

This has nothing to do with my desire to be able to get Improved Trip and Improved Disarm more easily should I choose a flail.
Tis a great benefit of the Monk. You get Improved Disarm for free.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 10:48:07 pm »

Maybe. But monks don't get to look badass in full plate whilst wielding flails.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2013, 11:32:23 pm »

It's hard to tell what you're asking "what" about, but I assume Tower Shields and one-handed reach weapons.
Yes.
Well, first off, I think all shields should give you a bonus to your Reflex Save equal to half their AC bonus. Or their AC bonus. Whichever. It makes sense to me, and feats like Shield Wall use it. Speaking of which, that seems like a simple maneuver that anyone trained with a tower shield or heavy shield should be able to do....
I'm putting this up to a vote. Should shields grant half their bonus to Reflex? Also, let's say that you can do it untrained, but if you don't have that feat, you only gain +1. If you have the feat, you gain +4 instead on +2.
Additionally, if I'm wearing a shield(especially a tower shield) on my back, I think it should provide a bonus of some sort(only whilst my back is turned, and wouldn't stack with a shield I was holding, but if I'm using a crossbow for example...there's a reason Pavise shields were used. Or just make it so you can reload a crossbow even while wearing a shield(it's not as if your arm will fall off because you let go of the shield handle for a few seconds...)
Shields worn on the back apply only when you would be flatfooted. And it's more then just letting go; a loose shield would interfere with your attempts to do much. So, you can drop it, reload, and pick it up again.
But as for tower shields specifically...I'd really like and I feel as though some of the following should be done to them, possibly all:

Not give the -1 to hit with them; Nope. This stays. It's -2, also.
'Block' spells when being used for cover; Gives AC bonus to resist.
Not give total cover, just 9/10ths or something(cover should give bigger bonuses to reflex saves, too...) This DM's making a new rule!
Be able to shield bash(speaking of which, shield bashes should do more damage; Spartan/Greek Hoplite shields were as deadly as their spears...), perhaps for a little less than a heavy shield, but still. Maybe only on a charge or something when you can get enough weight behind them. Sure. Shield Bash on Charges.
Not weigh stupidly ridiculous amounts. Seriously, they weigh more than full plate. That's just dumb. 25 to 30 pounds, maybe. Not 50. 50 would be for a steel one. A solid steel one. Which, by the way, if it was two feet by four feet, would be about 4 millimeters thick. Stupidly thick. Even at a meter by two meters, it would be fairly close to plate armor thickness. (1.45 millimeters, versus 16 gauge (the thinnest typically used) which is 1.59) If it's made of wood...oak has about a tenth the density of steel, meaning a centimeter and a half or so of oak would be fifty pounds, if it was 1x2 meters. It's 45 pounds. If you want it lighter, make it from Darkwood. You have the cash.
New extra: Tower Shield Stand. +10 gp, +5 lbs. You can plant a Tower Shield as a move action. It now acts as full cover and concealment. It provides no AC bonus when planted. Picking it up again is a move action.
Plus, 50 pounds is just ridiculous to carry into battle.
It's eight to ten square feet of solid steel! It's supposed to be heavy.
For the exotic weapon, would this work?

General note: I'm working on the Insanity rules, so send in your Sanity scores so I know who's unstable.

1d10; 20/x3; Piercing; Can be set against a charge; Reach*; 7 lbs.; 20 gp; Can be used as a martial weapon in two hands.
Looks fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 71