Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like more of or to see improved?

Combat.
- 2 (20%)
Roleplay.
- 2 (20%)
Details.
- 1 (10%)
Plot/Intrigue
- 4 (40%)
Other.
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 07, 2014, 10:09:51 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71

Author Topic: "The Filth of Kalgena" OOC thread. The GM has his shit together. Somewhat.  (Read 50346 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IC thread.
"The Filth of Kalgena".
Setting:
There has been the discovery of lots of minerals in mountain named Kalgena. Mundane metals like iron, tin, silver and gold are in abundance. A few lucky miners have found Mithral veins, and there are whispers about untapped seems of Adamantine.
A small city, named for the mountain, has sprung up around the mountain as people have raced to stake claims and find work. The metallurgy business has exploded, turning the raw metals into more valuable items. The spellcasting business has been slow to follow. Mostly sorcerers have shown up, followed by clerics. Wizards haven’t moved in; the level of civilization is too low for their lofty standards. Crime is rampant. The local economy has barely begun to react to the influx of massive amounts of precious metals, mostly because the vast majority of the wealth is held by mining firms, not individuals.

Kalgena is situated west of a large river, called 'The Long River', that runs to the north, passing through the queendom of Tomann, a mid-sized queendom neighbored by the kingdom of Mirathien. Kalgena is claimed by neither, as neither wants to be held responsible for the disaster of city planning that is Kalgena. To the east of the Long River are bountiful floodplains, where most of the local food is grown. The terrain around Kalgena is mostly dirt and silt, covered in brush and cacti.

The major players in Kalgena are the AMC, the Association of Mining Companies, and the Church Coalition. The AMC is the name for a group of rival mining companies who have warily banded together to coordinate their mining operations and protect their mutual interests. The Church Coalition is a number of representatives of various panthenons who have created the closest thing to a city government in the power vacuum of Kalgena. They oversee the sanitation and law enforcement of the city, but are largely ineffective, but not from lack of trying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit 1: Fixed Wrex's name. Thank you to both Wrex and GWG.
MajorEdit 2: Updated the setting and the campaign name.

Current player list:
lawastooshort - Edgric Browne, a Human Rogue.
Weirdsound - Laura Godkissed, a Human Cleric.
Remuthra - Gregory "Guy" Ragefist, a Half Goliath, Quarter Ogre, Quarter Minotaur Monk.
Alleecat - Alaris Valentis, a Half-Elf Bard.
Zako - Selena Blackwood, a Silverbrow Human Warlock.
Rolepgeek - Celles Gartens, Tank of All, a Human Crusader.
Angle - Joes Arlandt, an Elan Erudite.
Yoink - Samantha Gralthon, a Human Rogue.

Characters who have found their way into the hands of the DM:
Cade Thorngage, a Strongheart Halfling Wizard.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:02:22 am by My Name is Immaterial »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5 PBP urban campaign interest check
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:05:57 am »

His name is Wrex, and I'm interested. Not sure what I'd play, but I'm interested.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:50:45 am »

I am also interested. Probably as a roguey or bardy type.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »

Interested. If this takes off I'll throw together a sheet after the holiday.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:26:36 pm »

I'm going to go on a flight soon, so I'll flesh out the setting then and return in five and a half hours with stuff.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:44:16 pm »

I'm interested but in a huge amount already, so waitlist me. If you need players then PM me and I'll whip up a sheet.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »

As always, I am contractually obligated to join all the D&D. Making a character now.

Let's go with a monk. Because I like dying.

EDIT: And here he is, with preliminary work done. He's immensely good at punching things. Meatstick McGee

EDITEDIT: Can I count each of my arms as a separate attack for the purposes of qualifying for the Multiattack feat?

TRIEDIT: I'm sort of tempted to write 805 sentences of backstory and start out at level 4, just out of maniacal spite :P.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:16:11 pm by Remuthra »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:08 pm »

So it turns out that world build is not easy and takes more than a few hours to decide whether or not to have a lake. I have the general map done, but I've still got to work out the socio-economic-political atmosphere.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »

So it turns out that world build is not easy and takes more than a few hours to decide whether or not to have a lake.
Only one? How big is this map? England? Europe? Eurasia? What?

I have the general map done, but I've still got to work out the socio-economic-political atmosphere.
Ooh. A worldbuilder after my own heart. Or something like that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 11:14:32 pm »

So it turns out that world build is not easy and takes more than a few hours to decide whether or not to have a lake.
Only one? How big is this map? England? Europe? Eurasia? What?
Well, it's the city and the mountain. So not very big. But having a lake was a concern because I wasn't sure how to simulate the effect of a massive mining operation on the lake. So I am going to go with just a river, no lake.

TRIEDIT: I'm sort of tempted to write 805 sentences of backstory and start out at level 4, just out of maniacal spite :P.
I reserve the right to falling rocks. And teleporting level drainers.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 01:26:21 am »

I've been looking for a 3.5 game for a while. Would love to participate.
* AlleeCat blows the dust off her Player's Handbook.

EDIT:
Alrighty, I have two ideas for characters but I want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes when it comes to classes. Is anyone going for Bard or Wizard?

Also,
And here he is, with preliminary work done. He's immensely good at punching things. Meatstick McGee
You seem to have mixed up the hyperlink thingy. I fixed it for you.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:35:30 am by AlleeCat »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 02:48:01 am »

Alrighty, I have two ideas for characters but I want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes when it comes to classes. Is anyone going for Bard or Wizard?
I am also interested. Probably as a roguey or bardy type.
Players, communicate!

And here he is, with preliminary work done. He's immensely good at punching things. Meatstick McGee
You seem to have mixed up the hyperlink thingy. I fixed it for you.
I thought he did it on purpose, just to fuck with us.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 03:47:59 am »

That is a hella lot of rule changes... I'd have to be crazy to try playing with all of those!

Alright, why the hell not. I'll give this a shot, but I'm going to do something different. I'm going for a wizard!

Now I just have to figure out how to play one...

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 03:55:20 am »

If Zako's going for the Wizard, I'll claim the Bard.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 04:45:56 am »

I'm continuing to flesh out the world, but have got the basics written. I'll see if I can throw them up later.

BTW, the mountain's name is Mount Kalgena, and the city is Kalgena. Because I'm tired and it made sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71