Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS  (Read 12507 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »

Yes, I know it is a very, very, very touchy subject.

But I think Civil Right issue should have a gameplay application.
The only thread approching this topic I found is Red Indian Reservation.

Right now the only time this subject is even touched in play is the press article of a capital felon whose guilt was more than doubtful and who is spoken about as a "coloured" by the prosecutor.

Here's my proposition: persons should be classified in several ethnic groups such as White, Black, Asian and Latino1.

Applications:
  • At C+-C Civil Rights:
    • the prosecutor should explicitly use racial slurs in his plaidoiry ("Jury members, let's fry this nigger!") and, if the Judge isn't a sleeper, he should treat the ethnicity as an aggravating circumstance ("Off to the chair, you dirty wetback!"). Having KKK members in your jury should be really hurtful to non-white defenders;
    • Minorities should be more likely to be beaten up and abused by police (at C+-C Police Behaviour);
    • Miscegenation should be a crime.
  • First names should be related to the ethnicity: thus any Asian should have Chinese or Japanese first names and Latinos Spanish ones;
  • We could set demographic allocation by profession: thus Migrants should be mainly Asian or Latino.

-----------------------------------------------------
1We could eventually distingue between cultural and/or religious groups.

EDIT: Replaced "You're a nigger and, thus, I will send you to the chair" by "Off to the chair, you dirty wetback!"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:09:07 pm by Azerty »
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »

Wow... while this was posted, I was writing this

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:59:30 pm »

I think LCS could comfortably tackle race. My understanding is that its exclusion was an intentional decision by Tarn Adams, but similar to gender; the idea is that the Liberal Crime Squad is literally colorblind. I don't think the game is any worse off for the change to add gender though, and it opened up new gameplay and roleplay possibilities. Adding race would work similarly; it wouldn't matter for most things, would influence name selection and show up in profession demographics, and it would create opportunities for your members to be subjected to prejudice and discrimination.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 05:28:47 am »

Wow... while this was posted, I was writing this

Yeah, this idea would enable "Amerindian" being treated as a race.

I think LCS could comfortably tackle race. My understanding is that its exclusion was an intentional decision by Tarn Adams, but similar to gender; the idea is that the Liberal Crime Squad is literally colorblind. I don't think the game is any worse off for the change to add gender though, and it opened up new gameplay and roleplay possibilities. Adding race would work similarly; it wouldn't matter for most things, would influence name selection and show up in profession demographics, and it would create opportunities for your members to be subjected to prejudice and discrimination.

This is exactly how I envisioned the role of race in LCS.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 06:06:31 am »

Even though this may seem racist (and probably is) maybe we could also attribute race into stat and skill generation. Like black people could have high agility, start with street smarts, and other such racial stereotypes.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 09:57:05 am »

Even though this may seem racist (and probably is) maybe we could also attribute race into stat and skill generation. Like black people could have high agility, start with street smarts, and other such racial stereotypes.
If profession demographics follow RL then more high street smarts roles will be filled by black people so over all black people will have those skills.
Like wise more White people will have a higher int due to there profession reflecting the advantaged schooling enjoyed on average by White people.

Basically back ground in this case there profession give them there skills not there race, or we end up with every Asian knowing Kung Fu.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 09:59:39 am »

Like wise more White people will have a higher int due to there profession reflecting the advantaged schooling enjoyed on average by White people.

STATS SHOULD NOT VARY BASED ON RACE!!!!!
Otherwise, we're basically saying that white people are smarter than black people, which isn't even remotely true.  In LCS, schooling can't increase intelligence, so why should race affect the intelligence trait?  Skills are the way to go.

In a more conservative society, skill generation could vary on racial lines due to different opportunities offered to different races.

Also, there really only needs to be two races: White and Not-White.  Do the Arch-Conservatives really care which Not-White a person is?  Probably not.  This also gets us away from stereotyping based on race.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 10:15:06 am »

I agree with you EuchreJack, i was using int as a stand in for school grades, theory being that higher paid jobs are more often in the hands of whites that went to better schools than minority that went to crap schools.

Having different races is more so we can have different insults.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 10:24:11 am »

In a more conservative society, skill generation could vary on racial lines due to different opportunities offered to different races.

I would rather skew demographic in professions so that non-White get less numerous at being Judge, Lawyer, Engineer, Journalist and Psychologist than at being Janitor, Servant/Slave, Child Worker and Fast Food Worker at C+ Civil Right.

Also, there really only needs to be two races: White and Not-White.  Do the Arch-Conservatives really care which Not-White a person is?  Probably not.  This also gets us away from stereotyping based on race.

Subdividing at Asian, Black, Native and Latino is needed for name generation.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:17:28 am »

Basically back ground in this case there profession give them there skills not there race, or we end up with every Asian knowing Kung Fu.

Actually, every Asian should know Kung Fu, according to LCS's Rule of Cool.  Maybe not guaranteed, but Asian characters should have a high chance of having Kung Fu ability, with those possessing it having a high chance of having it good (every Asian being able to badly impersonate Jackie Chan isn't good enough).  It's just too cool not to have.

I would rather skew demographic in professions so that non-White get less numerous at being Judge, Lawyer, Engineer, Journalist and Psychologist than at being Janitor, Servant/Slave, Child Worker and Fast Food Worker at C+ Civil Right.

I would be fine with dropping the skewing of skills by race (except Kung Fu for Asians, obviously).

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »

Hmm... if we're going to seriously do race, then there need to be at least three races that are remembered by the game, these being:

1. Races favored by the conservatives (presumably whites);

2. Races that conservatives would be content having as servants and/or slaves (blacks would fall in here);

3. Races that conservatives would simply want gone and would outright exterminate given the chance (Amerindians go here).

I guess you might have a fourth category of races that would be seen as foreigners and shipped to foreign countries as illegal aliens, but in practice they wouldn't be much different from (3)s.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 04:45:49 pm »

I am black and I support this just because it made me laugh
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 08:03:41 pm »

Professions, locations, and skills most likely.  I still don't think it's a great idea.  :-/

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 09:24:01 am »

I like the idea. White people would be more likely to be conservative, but also the only race accepted into certain places. Being a person of colour would improve your disguise as a servant. You could see how the prisons become more and more proportional as you fix the country.

Skills should still be linked to occupation alone, and I'm against the word nigger (Or other racial slurs) appearing in the game at all. That just makes me uncomfortable. Race would still play a huge role in the court system, but nobody would openly admit that.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 12:21:48 pm »

White people would be more likely to be conservative, [...]

I have some reservations on this; let's rather link political opinions to the profession.

[...] but also the only race accepted into certain places.

At C+ Civil Rights, only Whites should be allowed in the Gentlemans'Club (or in some churches when they will be implemented - see here and here).

Being a person of colour would improve your disguise as a servant.
You could see how the prisons become more and more proportional as you fix the country.
Skills should still be linked to occupation alone, [...]

I agree with these three ideas.

[...] and I'm against the word nigger (Or other racial slurs) appearing in the game at all.

It's a manner to say non-Whites are considerated, viewed and treated as lower than vermin by the Conservative establishment.
And morevoer, as I said in my first post, "Coloured" is used by a prosecutor to describe a death row inmate in a press article.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6