Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS  (Read 12508 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »

It'd be neat to see this in the game, but count me heavily against distributing skills or statistics based on race.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 01:14:08 pm »

In my opinion race in LCS would be grossly exaggerated since think about it people, LCS isn't exactly the most politically correct game out there. Maybe the racial slurs would be a bit touchy, but honestly I find it hilarious if every asian had Martial Arts skill (And in real life I am an asian who has no fighting skills whatsoever).

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 01:33:33 pm »

I understand that racial slurs wouldn't be unrealistic or even out of place. But it would make me uncomfortable, and I'm white. I can sort of imagine my friends not having to worry aboot certain words coming up and reminding them of all the times they were the targets of racist bullying and such. And this is a game I regularly play in front of other people to convince them how awesome it is (Thus getting around the learning curve of the UI) I don't want to deal with having to explain away n-words popping up

And I do find the idea that all Asians are good at martial arts pretty funny. In the sense that it is an outlandish stereotype and it's so outside of reality as to be amusing. However, I'm not sure if implementing that as a feature would be satirical, or just reinforcing racial stereotypes. (And that uncertainty leads me to be totally against it hahaha)

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:VULPINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 02:45:25 pm »

it'd be ridiculous and racist if an Asian with plus 9001 Martial Arts skill went up against an african american while he shouted the N-word over and over. Please don't let this happen!!   :  :(
I WILL BITE YOUR HEAD OFF!!!

Yannanth

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 06:40:45 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:29:52 pm by Yannanth »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 08:57:27 pm »

In general, I would tend to tie any implementation of racial stereotypes to laws. The more liberal the relevant laws are, the more colorblind the game becomes; the more conservative the laws become, the more segregated society appears to be.

Yannanth

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 07:54:34 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:25:07 pm by Yannanth »

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 12:37:40 am »

I think there should be a variety of different races, not just 'White' and 'Non-white'. Maybe:
White
White Immigrant (from Eastern Europe and so on; some are illegal immigrants; poorer in general)
Black
Asian
Hispanic (most illegal immigrants are Hispanic)
Middle Eastern (Arabs, Persians, and other groups associated with Islam)
Native American
Maybe multiracial?

You could also add ethnicities, but that might be too much work for too little gain. It would help with the names, though.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 04:33:40 am »

I think there should be a variety of different races, not just 'White' and 'Non-white'. Maybe:
White
White Immigrant (from Eastern Europe and so on; some are illegal immigrants; poorer in general)
Black
Asian
Hispanic (most illegal immigrants are Hispanic)
Middle Eastern (Arabs, Persians, and other groups associated with Islam)
Native American
Maybe multiracial?

You could also add ethnicities, but that might be too much work for too little gain. It would help with the names, though.
Yes, yes to all of this.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 10:16:38 pm »

Multiracial I believe would be easily implemented since it would just be the RNG chance of mixing 2 ethnic group names.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »

Yes, I know it is a very, very, very touchy subject.

But I think Civil Right issue should have a gameplay application.
The only thread approching this topic I found is Red Indian Reservation.

Wow Im surprised my old suggestion got brought up!

I Think that racials slurs are not really worth the time, but the more subtle aspects such as certain races being Perceived as naturally in a certain job or position, blacks-servants etc seems to be pretty interesting. Also I suppose that race would also determine wealth to some extent.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »

If this was done in an intelligent way, making backstories for your liberals automatically/procedurally would be cool.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 06:58:44 am »

What I'm worried about is that race will be implemented improperly and instead of being a net benefit will turn out to make the game worse off in general. Which is why I wouldn't like it to be in the code in the first place, but there seems to be overwhelming support for it so I'll just put this post here in case it's actually a bad thing to do so I can call myself a prophet.

If this was done in an intelligent way, making backstories for your liberals automatically/procedurally would be cool.

Procedural liberal backstories are a plus in my book no matter what, though.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 01:23:47 pm »

What I'm worried about is that race will be implemented improperly and instead of being a net benefit will turn out to make the game worse off in general. Which is why I wouldn't like it to be in the code in the first place, but there seems to be overwhelming support for it so I'll just put this post here in case it's actually a bad thing to do so I can call myself a prophet.

I would like to know why implementing race would be a bad thing.

Procedural liberal backstories are a plus in my book no matter what, though.

A bot OT but I agree with procedural backstories for your Liberals, describing childhood, education and eventual adulthood as it is done for the Founder.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 02:44:12 pm »

Any idea could be implemented poorly. In the very best of worst cases, it adds nothing, bogging the game down with too many ideas.

Then in the worst of worst cases, the game is racist now and I have to play older versions and miss out on future updates that I like because it makes me uncomfortable and I'm ashamed to show my friends one of my favourite games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6